Average Corps Age

well, minimum age doesn't really mean much. you can have a 12 year old capable and mature enough to march in division I, and yet there aren't 20 year olds capable and mature enough to march in division III. funny how that works. I say I don't care how old people are as long as they're carrying their own weight.

Whoa.....cool the Lightning Wind and Thunder routine. I wasn't advocating anything....it was only a personal observation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry if it came off as biting your head off, not my intentions. I was just stating that I don't necessarily think minimum age has much to do with anything in drum corps. I was 8 when I started with the Targets, and I was better than a lot of the people who were 15-20 years old. I was just responding to what you had said, sorry if it came off as an attack.

Im glad someone else said this....

I am curious to see if there is a direct correlation of average age, and championship corps.

I know theres a lot of corps on the east, who have mostly underage drumlines, and guards who are able to do harder, more physical work.

Its a realistic question, because obviously if you have a younger group, you can write a harder show, with more of a possibility of performing it well.

There are no "underage" as you put it, in DCA. DCA is all-age. Whether a corps fields a group with an average age that is junior-ish or one that skews much higher - it matters-not to DCA rules. Your post subtlely suggests that the younger eastern corps are winning by circumventing ("underage") age guidelines - when there are in-fact no such restrictions.

Stacking a corps with young, agile performers is fair-game and fair-play.... and smart.

Lol please read the rest of the thread...I clearly restated what I was trying to say.

Thanks. :)

BUT! to get back to the real subject here...

What YOU are saying...is that clearly the corps who are "stacking" their ranks with younger members, indeed have an advantage.

I'd speak for Brass' average age but it varies so much its hard to say, The average age of the contra's is probably 22, the average age of the Mellos 25, Drumline 19-20, trumpets probably 26 or 27, frontline 25ish, colorguard 22ish all in all i'd have to go with 23-25 over the entire corps, taking in to account that we have members in their mid 50's and members from the young age of 15. I do believe that age has something to do with the success of a corps however I dont think the success is built in to the physical limitations of the older members. In fact I know plenty of our older members who have better stamina than our younger players. I believe that age has an effect in musicallity and style. Their is a balance between older vets and younger newbies. I have learned so much from our vets about playing, tone quality and openess of sound not to mention about marching style.

Now im getting in-coherent and starting to ramble.

Brass' average age is between 23 and 25. :rolleyes:

Hey Jonny Boy!

That trumpet average would be a heckuva lot higher if Roger, Curt and I were marching this year! :P

You restore my faith in youth when you call a tuba a contra. Well done.

Edited by Brassop

This thread is interesting to me because I am the oldest (59) marching member of the Cabs competing corps. I came back to drum corps in '03 at age 55, and the first show I performed was the Cabs high energy '03 show that won DCA. It was really difficult for me because for 35 years I only did career and family. Since '03, however, I've learned a lot, gotten into better shape, and although I've been playing lead trumpet, the shows have become easier for me to perform. So, as others have said, even an old guy can still "perform" in DCA with decent conditioning and experience.

Yes, the membership around me seems to be getting younger each year. They are great - they bring new and fresh perspectives, a lot of energy, and dedication to the corps. I am always learning new things from the younger members and I enjoy interacting with them. I think the mix of older and younger members is mutually beneficial, and I hope that DCA corps can continue this "all-age" mix by promoting and encouraging participation by older people.

Mike Risley

Cabs trumpet '03-07

It's fantastic Mike that you're still going strong with Cabs! Brass had a guy named Dick who marched contra/tuba up until around 2003 ... when he was 72! ... 72 and marching Tuba!!!!!

BUT! to get back to the real subject here...

What YOU are saying...is that clearly the corps who are "stacking" their ranks with younger members, indeed have an advantage.

Bingo. Give that man a star.

Competition is partly about holding an advantage over other competitors. Strategy plays a big part in winning championships. It's not an accident that the top-3 corps are generally younger.