Average Corps Age

This was in an antoher thread which was closed but can/will anyone disclose the average age of thier corps overall, brass, percussion, and guard... :satisfied:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the time to do the math, but if you average all the youngsters with the old pharts, I'd say we're probably right about there as well.

Im glad someone else said this....

I am curious to see if there is a direct correlation of average age, and championship corps.

I know theres a lot of corps on the east, who have mostly underage drumlines, and guards who are able to do harder, more physical work.

Its a realistic question, because obviously if you have a younger group, you can write a harder show, with more of a possibility of performing it well.

Im glad someone else said this....

I am curious to see if there is a direct correlation of average age, and championship corps.

I know theres a lot of corps on the east, who have mostly underage drumlines, and guards who are able to do harder, more physical work.

Its a realistic question, because obviously if you have a younger group, you can write a harder show, with more of a possibility of performing it well.

I don't know about that.. I was ummmm (doing the math.. Where is my calculator 2007 minus 2003 = 4 4 from 43 is ) 39 in 03 and I know we had a few older folks in the corps back then.. Kevin,Mike R,Wayne,Jay,Guy,Nelson,Josh,Doty,Jamie Marriane (looking at corps picture) Those are the people in the upper 30's .. The rest were at that time 26 ish range... Just a matter of being in shape or getting into it by the end of the season.

Speaking of Getting into shape I am off to catch the bus walking the 20 city block here in NYC because of a little water Stopping all the trains fun fun..

Oh and this year Totally different.. I am one of the oldest in the Hornline.. well actually in the corps.. But is the drill harder than before I would say no but bobby has written a smarter Drill .. Jazz run only when needed.. :)

I have spent 40 years observing the age situation and it indeed is MOST interesting... the following is unscientific and strictly my observations but I believe that they are historically correct...

1. Prior to the mid 1980's - experience seems to have dominated... and of course Cabs were the "height" of experience. Sky and Hurcs too...

2. Bush kicked into existence (mid 80's) with a "somewhat" younger average age and a serious combination of experience and youth. This worked for them for almost a full decade. From afar, they seem to be returning to that formula...

3. The 90's saw the dominance of Syracuse and Empire who both - again - lowered the average age of the corps and to no one's surprise (or at least it shouldn't be) slightly increased the amount of practice time over what had become the "norm" in DCA corps.

4. Now we have the more recent emergence of Bucs and they have - I must add "most likely" as I'm a million miles away and have yet to see them this year - again lowered the average age... and I'm certain are a phenominally hard working corps.

What does this all mean? I believe that dedicated and talented corps can do serious damage in DCA (Renegades? for instance) but that the ability to have that same dedication and talent in a younger corps that most likely can rehearse a few longer hours a week (assuming the talented staff to mold it is there) will usually win out come championships...

Now some questions from afar... Bucs continue their romp through DCA... Still young (average age) I'll bet? Cabs are making a big challenge this season... are they younger average aged? Bet they are... and I know they have dedication and talent...

Before anyone goes ballistic - it is certainly possible that talent and experience could win DCA... It just seems to me that with all other things equal... the younger average age will prevail in this highly competitive and physically demanding activity.

Just an "educated" opinion...

Our corps average age is really like comparing night and day. 50% are under 21. The other 50% is all over the place. One observation that I can make by looking at our list is that we don't have many 30-40 year olds. The 20, 41 and 50 and above year olds are evenly spread for the remainder of the 50%.

The primary thing that drives our decision concerning rehearsals and other events is where people come from then age factor works its way in the mix. We have people from Troy and Johnstown, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Rushville, Geneva, Batavia, Erie,PA, Pittsburg,PA, Binghamton, Elmira, Corning, Ridgeway,PA and a few come from Dansville/Wayland(lol). So, practicing on a week night is OUT. Together anyway...

Mark - Director

White Sabers

Edited by mcg155

I have spent 40 years observing the age situation and it indeed is MOST interesting... the following is unscientific and strictly my observations but I believe that they are historically correct...

1. Prior to the mid 1980's - experience seems to have dominated... and of course Cabs were the "height" of experience. Sky and Hurcs too...

2. Bush kicked into existence (mid 80's) with a "somewhat" younger average age and a serious combination of experience and youth. This worked for them for almost a full decade. From afar, they seem to be returning to that formula...

3. The 90's saw the dominance of Syracuse and Empire who both - again - lowered the average age of the corps and to no one's surprise (or at least it shouldn't be) slightly increased the amount of practice time over what had become the "norm" in DCA corps.

4. Now we have the more recent emergence of Bucs and they have - I must add "most likely" as I'm a million miles away and have yet to see them this year - again lowered the average age... and I'm certain are a phenominally hard working corps.

What does this all mean? I believe that dedicated and talented corps can do serious damage in DCA (Renegades? for instance) but that the ability to have that same dedication and talent in a younger corps that most likely can rehearse a few longer hours a week (assuming the talented staff to mold it is there) will usually win out come championships...

Now some questions from afar... Bucs continue their romp through DCA... Still young (average age) I'll bet? Cabs are making a big challenge this season... are they younger average aged? Bet they are... and I know they have dedication and talent...

Before anyone goes ballistic - it is certainly possible that talent and experience could win DCA... It just seems to me that with all other things equal... the younger average age will prevail in this highly competitive and physically demanding activity.

Just an "educated" opinion...

These were my exact thoughts. While im not tryin to down anyone for having underage members (we have a few too), its an obvious advantage, that may take away from the "even playing field" aspect.

What am I suggesting? (cuz i know that will be asked)

I really dont know what to say without a flame thrower being aimed at me, so ill just leave it open to discussion, and something to really think about.

Wow. I can’t think of a more irrelevant attribute. The fact that anyone would point to average age BEFORE considering the obvious attributes of a successful program is simply baffling.

I would wager that the average age of most “top ten” corps is very VERY close, perhaps only a few years – many have highschool and college aged members, and many twenty-somthings, and a fair amount of thirty-somethings and even a smaller amount of 40+ members. – and what does that tell you? Nothing.

Young members can be clueless marchers and weak players – just as older members “can” have reduced stamina and whatever. What about overweight players - are they younger or older? What about out-of shape players-can they be young or old? What about poor musicians, are they older or younger by definition? Ya see? All Irrelevant.

It takes no more than looking at the obvious: The organization. Good leadership? Good management? Stability? More disciplined? More Money and better fund-raising? And then… Creative Staff. CREATIVE STAFF! They are not all created equal. No sir. Not even close.

Brigs in the 1990/2000’s – not just good big because they were big, but because they were successful as an organization. Bucs today? Same thing. Empire in the 90’s? Cabs for a heck of a long time!!

Still convinced that average age has something to do with their successes? I have a bridge I’d like to sell ya.