Booing and the Cadets

In case anyone still thinks the young men and women of the Cadets were able to tell what the intent of the booing was and whether or not it was directed at the members...

And in case anyone still thinks the booing didn't affect them...

These posts are from a member who was on the field.

Being on the field that night was pretty amazing, after getting our ##### handed to us finals week by the long hours of rehearsal we were all ready to put out a great show.

But when a marching tech said that the hashes weren't there we looked down to see faint shadows that we could go off of.

Nope... there were 3 miniscule lines in the area where the hashes would be. I'm completely realistic when I say, they're weren't hashes. You couldn't see them even if your life depended on it.

We left the field so they could paint them. By that time there were thousands booing. Didn't really set us up for much success. Being the eastern corps in the west's territory, we were already "unwelcome".

As a member I personally felt that we had the weakest show in the later portion of the season. We had ensemble issues left and right, minor tears everywhere, the energy lacked greatly as compared to the last few shows.

Quarterfinals was an absolute awful performance. There were like 6 tears in the ensembles, the tempos were everywhere blah, hate remembering that performance... yech being booed by thousands. Not too fun.

I dont know why youd want to make this into a morality issue Mike. I dont hate Hopkins or the Cadets. As for bias, are you telling me you dont have a bias towards Cadets? Youre a fan and youve never made a secret of it, Barb has a daughter who marched Cadets for some years, so lets put aside the idea of bias as irrelevant. We all have them one way or another.

Drum Corps isnt and never has been a self esteem project. You get that from knowing you did your best. But its a competition with winners and losers and scores. Everyone is rooting for his or her favorite.

But heres where Hopkins and his Cadets have changed the equation. Hopkins has a vision for this activity which he has articulated very plainly and forthrightly and for many fans its not what they want. He has been at the forefront of every controversial change for the past 15 years. And he has almost singlehandedly debuted every one of those changes through his programs. Last year his production was controversial to say the least. Informally I would say that most people didnt like it, at least if discussion on drum corps forums is any indication. So does George think think "hmmmmm, people didnt seem to like my narration last year!". Evidently not because he comes back with more of it. The perception among the average drum corps fan who has any sense of the history of the activity is that Hopkins is not concerned with how fans will react to his programs but with pushing new evolutionary ideas onto the field regardless of their favor among fans. But unlike other corps regardless of what he does his corps stays top 5.

So hes not a sympathetic figure, thats fairly clear. Add to that practices that also dont sit well with the average fans, such as his bringing in DCI judges during camps to give him feedback. Talk about gaming the system! Sooner or later there will come a breaking point with usually respectful fans when they become fed up with his antics, which I'm sure is what happened at quarterfinals.

George Hopkins has brought this down on himself and his corps. But from where I sit a second place in DCI wouldnt indicate to me theyve suffered.

This is not a Cadets issue. I think you are allowing your disdain for Hopkins and div. 1 in general cloud your view on this subject.

For the record, my response to the Cadets show semis nite was a complete LACK of response, I remained in my seat with my arms folded making no noise whatsoever and a neutral look on my face.

Finals night I only got up and clapped because a buddy of mine who is a Cadets alum was sitting behind me and I did not wish to insult him.

As far as I'm concerned to put babbling babble OVER such a magical musical show is a mortal sin. Shame on you Hopkins.

I'm so glad I left after Cavies on thursday. I wouldn't have booed, but I would have been frustrated with the situation and it would have ruined an otherwise very wonderful day.

Friday I thought the response was very cool. No booing, certainly some cheering and standing here and there, but overall very cool.

Saturday they got a much better ovation but still I think the least of the top 7 corps.

I certainly wouldn't say everyone or even most, I honestly don't know the persentage, but many people I talked to or heard comments from both nights did not enjoy the Cadets show. Certainly more than just a few or an insignificant amount of the audience as some like to portray and think.

For the record, my response to the Cadets show semis nite was a complete LACK of response, I remained in my seat with my arms folded making no noise whatsoever and a neutral look on my face.

Finals night I only got up and clapped because a buddy of mine who is a Cadets alum was sitting behind me and I did not wish to insult him.

As far as I'm concerned to put babbling babble OVER such a magical musical show is a mortal sin. Shame on you Hopkins.

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Last year his production was controversial to say the least. Informally I would say that most people didnt like it, at least if discussion on drum corps forums is any indication. So does George think think "hmmmmm, people didnt seem to like my narration last year!". Evidently not because he comes back with more of it.
This is almost laughable Dan. He apparently believes in narration yet you expect him to toss it out after one bad season instead of improving on it- which in case you haven't looked at the scores this season- he accomplished very well.
The perception among the average drum corps fan who has any sense of the history of the activity is that Hopkins is not concerned with how fans will react to his programs but with pushing new evolutionary ideas onto the field regardless of their favor among fans. But unlike other corps regardless of what he does his corps stays top 5.
Dan look at the track drum corps has been on for the last 20 years or so. Ticket sales increasing or decreasing? I'm sorry to tell you this but your perceptions dont fill seats or pay bills. Hop has a vision for the future and if someone has a better one - bring it on, rally the other directors and lets get the ball rolling. Dying a slow death is not an option even if it makes you old timers feel better.
So hes not a sympathetic figure, thats fairly clear. Add to that practices that also dont sit well with the average fans, such as his bringing in DCI judges during camps to give him feedback. Talk about gaming the system! Sooner or later there will come a breaking point with usually respectful fans when they become fed up with his antics, which I'm sure is what happened at quarterfinals.
Oh for pete's sake. You're kidding us right? Is there a rule against this? If not you dont have a leg to stand on. Whining for the sake of whining, eh?

I was there, as well. In addition, I personally talked to both George and Dan. What I witnessed with my own eyes from section 18, row 30, seat 101, and later heard described by those involved was very different from what you allegedly saw. Indeed; "the truth shall set you free." However, this is where it ends for me because I ascribe to the wisdom of the following quote:

"Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference."

-- Charles J. Nalin

Great use of someone else's quote. Try coming up with your own next time.

Anywho,

So what did George say about his bowing to the audience during that whole mess? Or did I not allegedly not see that either?

And what did they tell you you actually saw (Dan and George)? This should be interesting to hear.

Edited by atlvalet

Great use of someone else's quote. Try coming up with your own next time.

Anywho,

So what did George say about his bowing to the audience during that whole mess? Or did I not allegedly not see that either?

And what did they tell you you actually saw (Dan and George)? This should be interesting to hear.

Ummm, aren't quotes meant to be, ummm, quoted? :worthy:

Ummm, aren't quotes meant to be, ummm, quoted? :worthy:

I guess it's a personal pet peeve of mine...when someone says "You know what so-and-so said..." my response is "I don't care what they said, I want to hear what you say."

By the way, just because it's a quote doesn't imply intention.

Edited by atlvalet

This is funny if getting judges opinions is against the rules then let DCI put a stop to it. Honestly if this where any other drum corp...