Upset at Delucia's comments

I had my hand raised when Dennis said it, (being one that doesn't at all fall on the 'pro-narration' side, but well short of wanting to hunt down Hop) and being of that mindset, I laughed out loud when Dennis said it. Knowing Dennis I know that he doesn't mean it in the light that many will take it but rather a "appreciate everything else you see and hear and try and look past it" statement. More than a little displeasure has been spewed this year and I think he was putting very bluntly the feelings of many (like I said earlier, I myself can't stand it but I'm tired of the "discussion").

All those that have met and know Dennis know that you can not at all meet a 'nicer guy' and a more down to earth guy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda of tired of them letting the opinions seep so much into the broadcast. Especially concerning show types. They don't even try to be subtle about what kind of shows they don't like. Whenever a corps does a modern-esque/dark show they always say stuff like "Well that sure was...interesting. Very dark and hard to follow. It's a big risk playing a show not many people understand or appreciate." And when a corps plays some big-band happy jazz show you get "What an amazing and accessible program! More corps should follow that lead"

If this theater broadcast is going to be permanent, and it looks like it is, I think they should pull a younger guy, like someone who aged out in 200? to give the younger side commentary. I know Steve and Dennis are Greats, and have contributed much to the drum corps community, but I grow weary of hearing how modern drum corps pales in comparison to Muchachos 78 or whatnot. IMO, keep Dennis and Steve, but I'm sure there is someone who aged out recently and is looking to get into the Broadcast Arts career who would love to be on air offering their views. Maybe even someone who also has participated in WGI and is really up to speed on the latest styles and such.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Respectfully he's not a journalist. I have spent the past 15 years as a professional journalist, and Dennis is not in that catafory. He is a host. A co-host if you will, and I should preface this by saying that I was Dennis' producer for the DCI broadcast for several years up until 2004/

That said..

I don't always agree with Dennis, but I understand his point. I did not see the broadcast, I was in the stands.

My point is this... The kids had no clue who was getting booed. You cn sit here and try to justify it by saying that you were booing Hoppy, but the kids were the ones on the field when the boo's came. They tok the brint of it, and we ALL owe them a huge apology.

And then there is the heckeling...

Actually, I applauded quite loudly in the theater when Dennis DeLucia said that.

I just wish that all the people who say, "we're not booing the kids, we're booing Hopkins" would cheer loudly this week, and then 2 weeks from now, you can all meet up outside the YEA offices in Allentown and boo as loudly as you want.

Edited by sardomus

Have a field day with what I'm about to say.....

Ready?

Take out over-the-top narration, and then you won't have to get over it.

Edited by 07-Socks

I'm kinda of tired of them letting the opinions seep so much into the broadcast. Especially concerning show types. They don't even try to be subtle about what kind of shows they don't like. Whenever a corps does a modern-esque/dark show they always say stuff like "Well that sure was...interesting. Very dark and hard to follow. It's a big risk playing a show not many people understand or appreciate." And when a corps plays some big-band happy jazz show you get "What an amazing and accessible program! More corps should follow that lead"

If this theater broadcast is going to be permanent, and it looks like it is, I think they should pull a younger guy, like someone who aged out in 200? to give the younger side commentary. I know Steve and Dennis are Greats, and have contributed much to the drum corps community, but I grow weary of hearing how modern drum corps pales in comparison to Muchachos 78 or whatnot. IMO, keep Dennis and Steve, but I'm sure there is someone who aged out recently and is looking to get into the Broadcast Arts career who would love to be on air offering their views. Maybe even someone who also has participated in WGI and is really up to speed on the latest styles and such.

They have a 'recent age out' and she's unwatchable.

With some of the things they are saying into those microphones (The Cadets, that is), how could you not expect some of it? The bando-loner guy almost begs for MST3K style commentary.

I'll offer to reimburse that guy's tour fees if says "I should have joined the Blue Devils" in his talking solo at finals :P

I think you guys are simply just looking too far into this.

He was simply saying, if you dont like it, keep your mouth shut for the rest of the people who want to enjoy it.

Not offensive, just true. I would have been ###### as hell if people were screamin #### durring their show that I enjoy.

I dont like the narration too much, but those kids are marching, and playing their ###'s off.

I raised my hand when he said "Raise your hand if you don't like Narration".

Then I got a chuckle out of his "get over it" statement.

Not a big deal.

I raised my hand and thw whole place busted up laughing. I got over it all right..I got up and walked out and stayed gone until they left.