Upset at Delucia's comments

I'm kinda of tired of them letting the opinions seep so much into the broadcast. Especially concerning show types. They don't even try to be subtle about what kind of shows they don't like. Whenever a corps does a modern-esque/dark show they always say stuff like "Well that sure was...interesting. Very dark and hard to follow. It's a big risk playing a show not many people understand or appreciate." And when a corps plays some big-band happy jazz show you get "What an amazing and accessible program! More corps should follow that lead"

If they didn't express their opinions coated with sugar, what would they say? I love reading between the lines of DeLucia's comments, especially what he said about Blue Stars' new uniforms. I think he said something like "I wonder what the visual designers conceptualize when they come up with their ideas." Sounded to me like he was saying "what the F--- were they thinking!??"

Oh, and reading between the lines of his comment on narration right befroe Cadets show... I think he was just telling all of us anti-narration people (myself included) to have an open mind.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Or even get someone who is semi-old but still current like Ralph Hardimon. (so Rondo and Dennis aren't 'semi-current'? Just because somebody doesn't actively teach a corps in the last five years doesn't mean they've lost all grip on reality.) Someone who knows what they are talking about concerning 200- drum corps and doesn't spend the whole time lamenting the old days passing. Like what I was saying about WGI; there were a number of shows that had a very indoor-influenced feel. (I agree, really and sarcastically, I feel like I'm at Scholastic Open finals when The Cadets narration goes on and on and anybody that doesn't make the link between the last few years of RCC's shows and the use of 'body movement' in the BD program isn't looking hard enough). And Blue Knights for instance have a very good World Class indoor line. Someone who has stayed current could have pointed these things out. (I was pointing out that Dennis is "very current" on the WGI activity you mentioned. In fact he's one of the fore most experts on what's going on in the activity, much like Ralph, another WGI Judge). I know the theater I was in had a lot of band/WGI kids. And that stuff would not have been lost on them like talking about the first Z-pull was."

edits in this color

I think he meant don't pay attention to the narration. Listen to the corps.

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp:

Oh Give me a break...

In this politically correct world noone can say anything without tickin someone off.

Rondon and Dennis are great. They know the "sport" inside and out. Living in the past?... You have no clue who Dennis is if you think that.

I've marched for him the past two years. He has more an open mind than you and I combined.

I've worked in radio for 26 years. I've said stuff to tick off people... sometimes by accident not knowing sometimes I've done it on purpose. It's life. It's why we have free speech. We are able to say stuff and have it bouce off other people's shoulders.

Ralph and Dennis on the same TV panel?...lolol Yeah like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar singing for the next Van Halen tour.

See my signature for my opinioin on narration.. and oh yeah I do like some of the "new school" stuff. Note... some

someone in our theater yelled "tell Hoppy to get over it!"

OK Stu I owe you a drink at the Radisson over Labor Day Weekend as this just made me laugh at loud. :P

But did they talk over the corps performances like happened during one of the PBS "Best Of" telecasts years ago. That was sumthin' to B-word about.

OK Stu I owe you a drink at the Radisson over Labor Day Weekend as this just made me laugh at loud. :P

By the way, I'm staying at the Radisson, too. ^0^

hey that wasn't nearly as offensive as his Taco comment before Crossmen's show last year in reference to the spanish speaking kid in the pit.

This was something that occurred during the broadcast- not sure if anybody live in Pasadena would have caught this or not, but it's something that upset me and I wanted to share.

During the lead-in to Cadets' show, the broadcasters talked about how Cadets' show was controversial, which frankly was to be expected.

But then something happened that I did NOT expect.

Dennis Delucia made the comment, and I quote, "All the fans who are opposed to narration, get over it for 10 or 12 minutes"

This may be just me, but I was VERY offended by that comment, especially given the nature of the person who said it.

I've never met Mr. Delucia personally, but I certainly admire his accomplishments and service in the drum corps community, and I've found him to be a knowledgeable and enjoyable part of the broadcast experience over the years as well.

But for him to make that kind of Bill O'Reilly-esque comment to the fans during a live broadcast was frankly rude and extremely unprofessional as well.

As a drum corps guy, Mr. Delucia is certainly entitled to think whatever he wants about narration. But to make such a inflammatory comment to a live audience, in my opinion, violates the ethical standards that journalists should possess.

I don't know what action, if any, will be taken about this, but I hope that somebody brings this to Mr. Delucia's attention and he has the courtesy to apologize for his comments.

Good for Dennis. He is absolutely correct.

someone in our theater yelled "tell Hoppy to get over it!"

I also thought it was interesting that Rondinaro made some comment about the "band kids" when cadets were on the field....sorry though, don't rememebr the exact context.

Yeah, bands suck. We shouldn't allow band kids to be in or watch corps. Sounds great.

Why is it that folks are allowed to express their displeasure with the Cadets only? You guys hide behind your "anti-narration" shield and think it gives you the right to say whatever you want. What about the top 12 corps that I watched last night whose drill looked like it was written 20 years ago? What about the top 12 corps that as dirty as I've seen a corps in finals week? You guys are allowed to bash the Cadets all you want, but if somebody dare say The Cavaliers are boring this year they are personally insulting anybody that has ever marched anywhere.

I think there are bigger issues right now than narration.