The Cadets at Quarterfinals

So much for anyone going to sleep tonight. Just when you thought people beat a topic to death ended another one starts. Ahhh the glory of finals week :) Too bad we cant have any more ties. That is about the only thing that would have made this week any more dramatic.

It's turning into DCI meets Jerry Springer...

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAY IT!!! :P

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It always gets me at the midnight showings.

I'm sure that they are carefully choosing what words they will release on the DCI website. This is absurd!!! Cadets deserve the penalty. It's unfortunate for the kids, but this just goes to show you that every corps director can stall the show now with no penalty!

<**> A penalty is a penalty is a penalty. If you feel you don't deserve it, find out what happened, fix it, don't let it happen again, do better next time. The Cadets have a strong enough show this year that a penalty one night shouldn't affect them, and they'll come out screaming tomorrow.

Both Mr. Hopkins' initial complaint AFTER the corps had already entered the field and subsequent tantrum at the issuance of a penalty at quarterfinals were wholly unprofessional. The argument that the field needed to be relined had been raised by both the Bluecoats and the Cavaliers but you didn't see David Glasgow or Jeff Fiedler blatantly and deliberately making a ruckus in front of their corps' members and paying audience.

Regardless of the actual condition of the field or the validity of prior complaints, the reality is that DCI serves two primary purposes: to maintain a level playing field for all competitors and to put on a good show for a paying audience. Due to Mr. Hopkins actions, The Cadets were late to field by all measures used by the DCI timing judge and should have been penalized for the impact upon the other competing corps and spectators nationwide.

The fact that the penalty has been removed without any sort of justification or formal appeal process shows remarkable inconsistency on the part of DCI. Such an action would seriously undermine a sanctioning body's credibility to administer a "World Championship" event in other competitive venues. However, since DCI is the only option for national touring junior corps, the activity now moves into the future with an unfortunate precedent that concrete, measurable actions which interfere with competition and entertainment value may be argued away by an irate corps director.

Gabriel Olochwoszcz

Phantom Regiment 1999-2000

Jersey Surf 1997-1998

No article on dci.org addressing this change so far. If they just ignore this one, the competitive aspect of this activity is damaged forever. It is scandalous at this point.

Dunno if it's quite at a Tour de France level yet- but I agree on the comment that inconsistency and a lack of explanation and transparency does breed discontent.

I look at it this way- it's 3 am. People are pretty tired just about everywhere. I'm willing to wait till the sun comes up for an explanation on this one.

But if this turns into a repeat of, say, '77 Bridgemen, look out.

the problem here is DCI made the right decision.

If Hopkins wanted fresh lines and wants to wait until his corps has taken the field to ask for them, then he is trading fresh lines for 2 points.

You shouldn't be able to delay a show 15 minutes, get what some would consider a competitive advantage, and not have to pay a price for it.

If cavies had held the cadets at the gate for 15 minutes I have no doubt hopkins would have wanted them penalized.

I doubt Hopkins would lie to thousands of people just so his corps can get a competitive edge. He's not an ########. What he did was for safety only.

This reminds me of when in baseball, some manager, usually that db La Russa, sends the umpires out to check if the ball is doctored, and when it's not, the other manager does the same thing over and over.

Let's see all 17 corps demand fresh lines. I want a spectacle. Go down swingin'. This is how we'll remember DCI in Hollywood.

the problem here is DCI made the right decision.

If Hopkins wanted fresh lines and wants to wait until his corps has taken the field to ask for them, then he is trading fresh lines for 2 points.

You shouldn't be able to delay a show 15 minutes, get what some would consider a competitive advantage, and not have to pay a price for it.

If cavies had held the cadets at the gate for 15 minutes I have no doubt hopkins would have wanted them penalized.

No the right decision was the fact that DCI apologized and fixed the mistake. Just because GH stood up for the corps doesn't mean they should have been penalized. I would have expected any other corps director to do the same thing. This is finals.

Nice Rocky Horror quote...

I was gonna say the same thing.

But I'm trying to keep up with all of the threads.

I need some coffee.