The Cadets at Quarterfinals

why isn't the focus on the "other" corps directors who seemed oblivious to the fact that the field was not marked properly

do their members not deserve a safe and effective performance stage?

and why isn't the focus on "DCI" as an organization / there were so many obvious organizational gaffs last night - the line crew mess being right up there - where is the blame on DCI?

the field was a MESS - is a MESS / these members deserve MUCH better than a 1,000 y/o dreck stadium with buzzing lights, patched up loose sod and a miles-long bus ride in congestion from warm up to step off

boo-hiss those folks.

THE GUY who is saying "sorry - let's line the field properly folks - according to the rules" is getting charred at the stake.

and while I'm venting - boo-hiss the hecklers, booers and rude folks who populated this "mob" I had to sit amongst

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Hop's response. I can only hope the rudeness ends before tonight.

Go Cadets- I wish you the very best.

it was a nice reply - quite humanistic and genuine

you have to admire the guy for sticking up for what he believes in and leaving "nothing on the field"

why isn't the focus on the "other" corps directors who seemed oblivious to the fact that the field was not marked properly

and why isn't the focus on "DCI" as an organization / there were so many obvious organizational gaffs last night - the line crew mess being right up there - where is the blame on DCI?

the field was a MESS - is a MESS / these members deserve MUCH better than a 1,000 y/o dreck stadium with buzzing lights, patched up loose sod and a miles-long bus ride in congestion from warm up to step off

boo-hiss those folks.

THE GUY who is saying "sorry - let's line the field properly folks - according to the rules" is getting charred at the stake.

and while I'm venting - boo-hiss the hecklers, booers and rude folks who populated this "mob" I had to sit amongst

George...someone commented about the beer on his blog. I never thought about it...you think that was a huge part of it? How much drinking was there going on?

hey George - sitting amongst all of these people that were going ape - what was your reaction to it all?

i'm just curious because all i'm hearing is the majority's reaction - not really any from Cadets supporters in the crowd.

boo-hiss those folks.

The blame should only be placed on DCI. From what a few have said, the corps directors (or at least, staff members) were complaining about the field condition as they came off the field. These other corps seemed to do fine with the faded hash marks. However, George Hopkins did not feel that the field was in the right condition for his corps. Is that a bad thing? No. IMO, the problem lies in the fact that the corps come onto the field, set up, and then left. The issue should have been addressed before the corps even got onto the field.

What happened, happened. Nothing can change the past. Hopefully all of the corps come out tonight with great performances and wow the audience. I really hope that the audience in Pasadena will show more respect to The Cadets tonight.

In the grand scheme of things, when we look back on the 2007 season from 20 years from now, will we remember the Hopkins scandal? Will we remember the 15 minutes it took to allow the safety and performance standards of the Cadets?

Short answer: No. Long(er) answer: No, it was a relatively meaningless event.

Sure, it'll come up in conversation, but it won't be remembered past next year. What should be (and will be) remembered is the excellent drum corps show the Cadets will put out on the field tonight and tomorrow night, and how they did it with class, and didn't buckle under the pressure of this one time event.

Semi-finals begins in less than 3 hours. Put this controversy to bed once and for all, and begin new memories, and enjoy today for what it's worth.

Soooo, what does THAT mean? :laugh:

That he either did not remember the agreement, or thought the agreement was not good enough anymore. If he had been thinking DCI had failed to meet its end of this field lining agreement, surely it would have been top on his list of things to bring up, wouldn't it?

EDITED to add...

And if he was operating without remembering the agreement, or felt like he needed to go over and beyond the agreement, why would he freak out over the penalty? Is it because he thought his issue deserved special treatment?

Also, since the field was apparently so unsafe, we must then believe that the other corps directors either were too dumb to see the danger, didn't care about the safety of their corps, or felt like their corps was prepared enough to play through it. It has to be one of those. I wonder which for each director/corps.

Edited by Tekneek

What happened, happened. Nothing can change the past. Hopefully all of the corps come out tonight with great performances and wow the audience. I really hope that the audience in Pasadena will show more respect to The Cadets tonight.

Good point. Tonight will probably be the most anticipated Semifinals in history because of the controversy. However, I don't believe the crowd will let up on Hopkins or The Cadets tonight, which is a sad set of circumstances.

hey George - sitting amongst all of these people that were going ape - what was your reaction to it all?

i'm just curious because all i'm hearing is the majority's reaction - not really any from Cadets supporters in the crowd.

half the crowd were acting like (quite bluntly) my nephew who is 11 and quite the trouble maker - many of this set were drinking beer or wearing a familar blue-colored t-shirt (or were in the feeder corps of a blue-colored finalist corps)

the other half of us - myself included - were either telling people to shut up or trying to ignore them and watch the show

I personally got annoyed - then watched the show.

The crowd (the entire day - not just then) were not very polite - talking, on cell phones, coming and going during corps, not much applause until SCV and Crown at all. They gave the corps polite semi-stand O's with golf clapping

I spoke to the folks around me afterward and the BD "mom" in front of me was pretty annoyed with the whole spectacle - "embarassed for her organization" was her statement (because she witnessed how some of the BD-clad folks had been acting)

It was bad.

Good point. Tonight will probably be the most anticipated Semifinals in history because of the controversy. However, I don't believe the crowd will let up on Hopkins or The Cadets tonight, which is a sad set of circumstances.

I believe the Cadets will put on one of the finest performances in DCI history tonight.

They will step up big time.