The Cadets at Quarterfinals

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to Hoppy for looking out for his corps, but shame on him for being so smug about it.

- Mark

Cavaliers FMM 94 & 95

(edited for typo)

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this issue in one simple sentence. Thanks!

I did not say it's OK. I agree that it is NOT OK. A mistake was made during the last break...if none of the other directors caught it...or the lines were still OK when their corps went on...doesn't mean it's OK...it just means that those directors didn't ask to have them repainted. By the time it got the The Cadets, Hoppy decided differently. Whatever degradation there was on the field was sufficient enough to bother Hoppy, and he wanted it fixed. I fail to see why it's HIS problem at all in these threads.

I did not say it was his fault. I do question why he did not bring up this agreement on the interview, or presumably at the time of the incident. It gives the appearance that this escape clause was dug up by DCI just to find a plausible reason to undo the penalty. I am also left presuming that Hopkins thought DCI was honoring the original agreement, but no longer found it acceptable.

I don't agree (of course!) that it invalidates the performances, as their corps admins went on with their performances. If one had asked for a repaint and were turned down, THAT would be bad.

I don't buy it. I have never liked the concept that you have to find the error for it to be wrong. DCI did not live up to their own agreement with these drum corps. The burden should be on them to make it right, not each director. Just because the previous corps decided to push through the show does not mean they were not hindered in some way by the inappropriate field conditions. In order to level the playing field, they should just void the results for that block of corps. At the very least, they could have officially apologized to all of them for their failure. Instead, they somehow felt they only owed an apology to The Cadets' staff, members, and fans. The rest of you can just get over it, apparently.

It's not hard for a brass line to march drill if they're NOT PLAYING! *cough*Cavies*cough*

It's also easy to think that way if you've never done it. :worthy:

BTW, (off topic) are you going to join Paterno's boys in cleaning the stadium this year? :P

It's not hard for a brass line to march drill if they're NOT PLAYING! *cough*Cavies*cough*

Eh....id say its still hard. As Hard? No, but still hard. Maybe I'll get to talk to some of the guys tonight, I know cadets were talkin to bd last night. All this rivalry bs, and theyre still just kids hanging out in a parking lot.

It's also easy to think that way if you've never done it. :worthy:

Ugh....i hate this sentiment. If every one of us had to have marched every corps to have an opinion on them, we would just have a bunch of lovefests on here. If you want to make a rebutal, try using facts or at least opinion next time instead of tried and failed rhetoric

I have no real problem with asking the field to be relined. I have a problem with the way Hopkins acted about the entire thing. I also have a problem with the resulting inequality between the field conditions that the corps in that performance block had to deal with. I'm also not convinced that DCI's "it was our fault" escape clause really makes it alright. So The Cadets got their penalty reversed, but what about those who went on with the field that DCI admits they did not maintain to their own agreed standards? Everything surrounding that is suspect now.

Are you referring to the bow? Aside from that public display, what other inner working knowledge would you have of the situation and how he handled it other than DCI saying he was respectful?

Wow, I totally disagree. March a show without hash marks? Are you serious?

Done it many times! Also done it with the wrong hashes. Now you tell me which would be worse. When you march a show as often as these corps do there should be no need for hashes (or yardlines for that matter) except for the initial setup.

This was all a ploy by Hoppy to throw off BD. I think he's just fishing for an artificially high score at Semis.

Eh....id say its still hard. As Hard? No, but still hard. Maybe I'll get to talk to some of the guys tonight, I know cadets were talkin to bd last night. All this rivalry bs, and theyre still just kids hanging out in a parking lot.

I've talked to a few of the guys, mainly vets... they certainly don't feel this show is easy, by any means.

Done it many times! Also done it with the wrong hashes. Now you tell me which would be worse. When you march a show as often as these corps do there should be no need for hashes (or yardlines for that matter) except for the initial setup.

This was all a ploy by Hoppy to throw off BD. I think he's just fishing for an artificially high score at Semis.

Where do you people come from?!

Why would he take the attention of his own corps off of their show in order to potentially mess up another corps? Think.