Troopers Bad Luck

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I don’t think that DCI has it out for Troop. And yet, what the HELL IS GOING ON?

1. The corps is penalized in seeding for doing a full tour while those who took a weekend or two off get a boost via math.

2. The corps takes the biggest show-to-regional drop of the season, losing over five points going into Denver.

3. The corps is within .2 of Cascades at TWO SHOWS the weekend before Finals, has their best show of the season at Quarters, AND DROPS OVER THREE POINTS. (And don’t tell me that they obviously didn’t have their best show on Thursday. I was the last three shows. Thursday WAS the best.)

There’s always an explanation. There’s always a reason. But still, WTF? I challenge you to give me an example of another corps in open class that has had worse luck when it came to scores. I’m serious.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer also had a hard time of it. Those kids work very hard and yet the scores seem to hover around the same range. The scores only started going up towards the very end.

(reposting my comments from another thread about the Cadets penalty being withdrawn)

Fair move by DCI, IMO. I think the hypersensitivity toward DCI being on top of things is a bit overdone but we all need to ##### about something, apparently. I'd like to ##### about the judges dumping the Troopers score nearly 5 points at Denver and 3 at QFinals, but I'm told I shouldn't blame the judges or DCI for that. And I'm sure Troopers were not the only victims of scoring inconsistency.

just to show I'm not exaggerating:

7/26/07

7/28/07

8/05/07

QFinals

The reason I bring this up is that both issues have to do with positioning during finals week. Due to the way OTL times were decided, Troopers were slotted to go on in 21st, but their "real" ranking before the OTL determination was 18th. Does this affect how they were scored at QFinals? Sure hard not to see it that way. Before anyone goes ballistic on me for complaining, I'd like to say that I know there's a lot more error in the lower tier and therefore it's harder to nail down the box score on the sheets. I'm very aware of that issue, having dealt with it in person before. But really, 5 points worth of score latitude at a major regional?!?

However, in the case of the top tier the most recent scores would be well known and studied, and they would never get dumped more than a point, maybe 1.5, except by a penalty. (which in this case was fairly withdrawn, as I said)

This bizarre scoring latitude habit is what I want DCI to examine. Now, my personal dream is that next year the Troopers will improve the quality of their product enough to make it obvious that they should have a spot on Friday. (heck, I'd take Saturday too, 50th Anniversary and all :) ) But there will always be corps in the lower tier, and they will have to live with this problem until it's dealt with by DCI.

So to review: Hash mark repainting issue? Got dealt with and everything's ok for this week, and hopefully next year it won't be any kind of issue because it's easily fixed. Point slams? Still a problem, and no evidence yet that it's going to stop for next year.

Troopers - screwed.

That is all.

They should determine the performance groupings the way they determined the order this year and then randomly draw the order in groups of 6 corps. ie..

BD, Cadets, Cavies, Bluecoats, Phantom Crown - 1st group

SCV, BK, Boston, Colts Glassmen, Spirit - Second Group

Academy, B Stars, Crossmen, Madison, PC, Cascades, - third group

Southwind, Mandarins, Troopers, Pioneer - fourth Group

Yes, Troop was screwed BIG TIME on the number sheet! How about slotting the so-called Division I Corps that don't complete a full summer tour first in the time slots.......... If a corps does not compete at all regionals, then they should be slotted first on. Not performing at regionals early in the year certainly assisted those who did not compete in Allentown and Atlanta. If you want to compete regionally-join Division II/III!!!

To the Troop members on the field-one of the most entertaining shows of the year. Thanks for keeping DCI unique in style, programming, and presentation for an old school guy like myself. Here is to an outstanding 2008 and beyond. And by the way Happy 50th Anniversary! Great Job!

Might as well get used to it.

Southwind was 14th or 15th coming out of Indy in 2005 and got a 7 point drop the next night. So instead of going on in 15th for Thursday, they ended up going on in 19th and clawed their way back up to 16th.

This probably isn't the place to say it either but I think folks expected a bit too much of the Troop this season. There were people on this website not 4 months ago calling them a deadlock for making Saturday night. Get serious folks.