IC Reveries and The Cadets

This situation with Cadets in Q-finals is reminicent of the infamous IC Reveries sit-down strike in the late-60's...one that caused the disbandment of that corps. My quesion to the community is...How damaging could this be to the Cadets (especially with the actions of its director being so public)...could it conceivably lose financial support due to the potential embarassment of its benefactors...and other various factors?

Let it rip, ladies and gents...

(From what I read) IC Reveries were having problems with their main (only?) sponsor Immaculate Conception Church over non-church members joining the corps. The Sit Down was more or less the final straw over differing opinions on how the corps should operate.

As far as Cadets sponsors, unless people start boycotting companies that support the Cadets I don't see a problem. Ye olde "any publicity is good publicity" applies here. Remember Michael Vick didn't start losing sponsors until the buying public directed their anger towards the sponsors products.

The Reveries were in 13th place at '66 VFW prelims, out of the finals. The Madison Scouts originally finished 14th, but after arguing about rules interpretations they (the Scouts) were allowed to compete at finals. The Reveries thought that since they had originally beaten Madison, they too should be allowed in finals.

They staged a protest sit-down "strike" on the field at finals, and the contest was delayed 90 minutes. The Reveries were finally allowed to perform, but weren't judged, and it proved destructive to the corps the following season, and they were eventually reborn in the 27th Lancers organization.

The Reveries did come back as a separate corps later.

Edited by Northern Thunder

)...could it conceivably lose financial support due to the potential embarassment of its benefactors...and other various factors?
Don't worry about Garfield..they can probably live on the interest!!

The Reveries were in 13th place at '66 VFW prelims, out of the finals. The Madison Scouts originally finished 14th, but after arguing about rules interpretations they (the Scouts) were allowed to compete at finals. The Reveries thought that since they had originally beaten Madison, they too should be allowed in finals.

They staged a protest sit-down "strike" on the field at finals, and the contest was delayed 90 minutes. The Reveries were finally allowed to perform, but weren't judged, and it proved destructive to the corps the following season, and they were eventually reborn in the 27th Lancers organization.

The Reveries did come back as a separate corps later.

Not entirely correct. They did not "come back" as a separate corps. It was their feeder corps that you're thinking about, not a reincarnation of the "big kids". This is detailed on a web-site easily found by "googling" I.C. Reveries. It's called "the fog", I'm too lazy to past a link.

Not entirely correct. They did not "come back" as a separate corps. It was their feeder corps that you're thinking about, not a reincarnation of the "big kids".

Here is a link to the story. www.thefog.com/reveries/seniors.

Over the years I've spoken to a number of people from the other corps involved in this incident and to my surprise everyone who was there that night tells the same basic story.

The senior corps or "open class" (Div. I) corps was disbanded after the 1967 season (and resulted in the founding of The 27th Lancers) but the feeder corps continued on and eventually made it to "open class" before merging out of existence with other corps.

Steve Solombrino

Edited by up4479