Winning Visual

In my opinion, a person falling is not a box 5 movement. However, over the course of an eleven minute program with a great deal of difficulty, can a judge be made to "forget" about a fall? Personally, I couldn't. Maybe the Cavs should have won Vis Rep, but if you have people falling, I fail to understand how you can win the execution sub-caption. I thought that was why DCI created the sub-captions.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night the Cavaliers won the visual caption. I'm also hear rumors about how they had 2-3 members fall down. I know it has nothing to do with the judging, and that the judges possibly didn't see any falls, but how does the visual caption winner fall 3 times in a show?

it just seems weird to me, any opinions?

I actually think that you answered your own question. The visual caption is based on the judge's assessment of what he/she sees. Therefore, what they don't see happen, they cannot allow to affect the score, either positively or negatively. In 2002 The Cavaliers got a perfect Colorguard score, but many people watching the DVD's later, and even some who were in the stands that night, complained about a couple big flubs by the guard. The same argument applied then and does now...if the judge doesn't see it (and they cannot see everything at all times) then they don't allow it to change the score.

What can you do, if both the field and the box don't see it, they can't judge it.

Corps A marches a somewhat hard show extremely clean, maybe 3 flubs total.

Corps B marches an easy show perfectly, no flubs

Corps C marches an insane show very well, 6 flubs total.

Corps C wins.

You don't judge just based on performance but also difficulty. This post has been posted entirely too many times by entirely too many people... and funny enough it's almost ALWAYS about the Cavaliers and even funnier still it's almost ALWAYS someone who hasn't marched with the Cavaliers.

Just enjoy the show and don't sweat the small stuff.

Peel Back is right on the mark ---

Most likely the judge did not see and even if he had - what were the circumstances?? A fall during a very challenging move is not the end of the world. Field judges are not there to check off instantaneous errors, but to evaluate the OVERALL techniques, training, skills and RESPONSIBILITIES placed on the students.

So how could the Blue Devils possibly be 4th in technique??

If a Cavalier falls in the forest, and nobody's around to see it, does he make a sound?

If a Cavalier falls in the forest, and nobody's around to see it, does he make a sound?

Yeah it sounds kind of like Splooie.

Keep in mind, you get points based on what you do well, not what you do wrong. So if the things going well made up enough points, then there you go.

On that note, recovery is a major factor, so falling is one thing, but falling and getting right back into it is completely another.

On that note, Cavaliers got a 29.30 in total Visual, and a 19.40 in Visual GE. This means that, even if you looked at it that they had falls and were dirty, they simply were the least dirty of all the corps last night. I understand the argument "how can there be a PERFECT visual score if there are falls/drops (2002?!)," but to say that corps A had a fall and corps B didn't, so corps B is the obvious winner kind of ignores all of the other aspects of visual. If that were the only criteria, wouldn't it make sense to just stand still your whole show to ensure a perfect visual package?

I also heard that several Blue Devils members fell. Apparently the field surface is horrible. Friends who were there told me that many of the corps were complaining about it. Thin, slippery grass over a really hard surface underneath. The more you run, the more likely you are to slip in a direction change. I guess that is what happened to the Cavaliers.

I imagine the visual performance judge simply did not hold it against the performers that DCI made them march on a slippery, disgusting, unmarked field.