Brass Staff

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever find yourself trying to tune the line and you come upon guys that are still flat with tuning slide pushed all the way in, and others are sharp when they are pulled out rediculously far?

You send them to your competition? :P

I would work with them on a tuner. Have them buy their own and have them work with this tuner in front of them while they play not just tune. They need to discover what they need to do to play in tune.

If you don't notice that they're out of tune when the line plays, then they have good ears, but no reference when tuning.

Play the tuner note and see if they can match it.

Obviously, it's not the equipment.

Edited by Martybucs

Purchase the factory tuned instruments, they cost more but it's worth it when you don't have to tune. :worthy:

Do you ever find yourself trying to tune the line and you come upon guys that are still flat with tuning slide pushed all the way in, and others are sharp when they are pulled out rediculously far?

You realize your playing Dynasty horns ^0^

It's really their approach to the horn that is keeping them from playing in tune. What I mean by that is, that you may also find that those players you speak of also have a tone quality that is vastly different from the rest of the horn line.

I usually tell those players that first they need to actually practice and build up their chops before anything else. Then we can really start to talk about embochure and how tone quality can effect intonation.

my two cents...

Good answers above. Also make sure you reinforce the importance of air. If you're not doing a lot of breathing exercises in warm-up, I suggest you start now. This will help tuning immensely as well as overall tone quality. Another thing to consider is the type of mouthpiece the players are using. A different one could quickly solve the problem.

Edited by THX 1138