Brass Staff

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was said already twice and in my opinion it is correct and one of the biggest overlooked areas.. air support and air management. Taking a full breath, expanding the lungs up to 100% and beyond, then attacking firm. Its not always about air speed either, air mass plays a big part.

I am not on any corps staff, but I do encounter this with the bands I have worked with in the fall; and I encourage those players to do some extra breathing exercises during the time off and before rehearsals.

Only a true musician that knows how to play in tune can unlock the awesome power of a Dynasty bugle.

All others limp along on Kanstuls or Kings. ^0^ ^0^

Nay! its the horns. I personally have seen the difference between DEG productions.When I sat in at Knight Storm practices the horns had to have the tuning slide all the way out to even get close. I personally own DEG, Kanstul, Getzen, G and F horns. And they all tune well. It just depends on the quality of that particullar production run. Now playing a bugle like if should be is a lost art. Full sound ,projection and control of intonation that missing and thats why I think G horns are doomed.

It was said already twice and in my opinion it is correct and one of the biggest overlooked areas.. air support and air management. Taking a full breath, expanding the lungs up to 100% and beyond, then attacking firm. Its not always about air speed either, air mass plays a big part.

I am not on any corps staff, but I do encounter this with the bands I have worked with in the fall; and I encourage those players to do some extra breathing exercises during the time off and before rehearsals.

Yeah, I'm there. We work on air extensively, and attacks too. It's gotten us to the place we are at, which is decent. Just because I'm acknowledging that perfection has not been met, and I want to discuss possible improvement strategies with you guys, does not mean we don't play well together.

Sorry - I find myself wanting to defend the quality of our intonation now. I think this is an interesting topic.

The reason I bring this up at all, is that I encountered this tuning problem last fall, when we started the season up after 5 months hiatus. The tuning was spread across the line where the flattest, and sharpest person were spread beyond the scope of the tuning slides (btw the flattest guy was on his own Dynasty horn, and we ended up shaving an inch or two off his contra). As the season progressed, we worked out of this situation, and eventually we stopped spending any time with the tuner at rehearsal. I'm going to credit increased embochure strength, our breathing and warmup program, and the time everyone took to work with a tuner at home. Now that the Summer season is over for us, we will relax the show preperation push, and settle into a phase of "getting back to basics"

This year there will be no 5 month hiatus. I'm not letting anyone go soft this time. I remembered this problem, and wanted to know what you guys did about it when it happened to you. Our mantra this year is "take it to the next level". Tolerences must be narrowed. Expectations will be raised.

Something I've noticed that helps tuning and centering pitch would be pitch bends.

Everything said is so true but lets add two more things to the mix...bore size and type of mouthpiece.

I for years have played a ML bore and never got the sound that I wanted. I tried a Large bore and what a difference! Yes air speed, support and everything else mentioned is important too. Second thing, the right mouthpiece. We all have gone through different ones to find the perfect sound we want. If we find the right mouthpiece and the right bore size then we will be happy.

Problem.....it's expensive! Say the ML bore doesn't work? Buy a new Large bore $1500-2500 and then a new mouthpiece...I like Monette but then a good friend of mine who is a LA studio trpt player (Chris Tedesco) recommends Bob Reeves.

It's the neverending story.

Something we used to do in my old Jr. corps days in the sixties. If we were at a school practicing we would play standing about 15 feet from the wall and listen to our hornline play. If someone was out, you could hear it right away and it was cool to hear them pull it back in because they heard it too.

We always had small hornlines of about 30-35 or less. Don't know if that would work with a large hornline.

I think it was a worthwhile exercise though.

I think a lot of players use the feedback from a wall or mirror to "fine tune" their playing.

Do not attempt to tune players who are so unskilled that they play way off pitch-center. Tune their horn yourself. Or have several good players with similar mouthpieces play the horn and see where the tuned slide position generally is.

Accomodating a poor player's pitch bending by extreme tuning slide positions will only reinforce their bad pitch habits.

Also, any advice regarding "air" "air support" "fill-up the horn" etc. is not helpful. And most certainly not the problem.

Yes, it does take increasing air pressure AND flow to play louder. But as a player becomes more efficient in creating tone he/she will also require relatively less air flow and pressure.

Tuning is an embouchure and tone quality issue.

Air pressure/flow/ support/ (whatever you wish to call it), is related to volume of sound, that diminishing with efficiency. Encouraging one to use "more air" when the embouchure is the problem will never accomplish good habits.