BD Doesn't March Enough

By watching the shows. I thought the same thing when I seen it in the theatre. It almost sounded like the Blue Devils shows people used to complain about alot of bleats and blaps then marching real fast.

It is impossible to judge who has the most demanding show by simply watching it... especially in the theater. How can one person truly appreciate the marching demands placed on every member of the corps? Or music for that matter. Did you listen to every horn part, noting articulations and what key they were playing in while watching the drums stickings and guard work at the same time? It's like you would almost need a group, or PANEL of people to judge that.... oh wait....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is impossible to judge who has the most demanding show by simply watching it... especially in the theater. How can one person truly appreciate the marching demands placed on every member of the corps? Or music for that matter. Did you listen to every horn part, noting articulations and what key they were playing in while watching the drums stickings and guard work at the same time? It's like you would almost need a group, or PANEL of people to judge that.... oh wait....

Disagree for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not griping at or bashing you. And second, I'm not meaning to bash anyone who hasn't marched.

Experience in DC lends a great deal to the ability of someone to judge difficulty of a show--especially you guys who marched like 5 years in one place. You guys generally got to see some good shows and some off-years. Even you recent, multi-year Cavies have seen some shows that were tougher than others.

Again, I don't intend to derail this into a debate over experience--I'm sure those threads will launch by September 1st.

But I am saying that one person is capable of comparing the difficulty of various shows. And with design staff at certain corps staying in place for several years, it is easy to see recurring elements of those corps' pop up from one year to the next.

I'll be honest, I'm not that good at comparing some of these elements from corps to corps and year to year with any particular corps, probably because I only watch them a limited number of times. For example, I have seen 'Faust' and 'Machine' on youtube a couple of times since last year and that's about it. Had I been on staff at another corps, travelled all over last summer, seen these performances a number of times and tracked them as they developed, and seen previous years' shows, and made such a study an annual thing, I feel reasonably certain that I would be a better judge of degree of difficulty.

This would probably be a good thing for me to do since DC is still in my blood, I am a reasonably creative person, and knowing a bit more what goes into a difficult show would be very helpful. Knowing what your corps is capable of and what stretches them too far is very important.

But back to the one person thing, I think that some people may make generalizations on DCP that are unfounded, others simply regurgitate what they read (sadly), but I also think that some folks on here are able to critique what they say reasonably accurately.

And believe it or not, some of those people, I realize, never marched junior corps! Keep up the informed, accurate crititques. Drop the crap. And know which of those statements applies to you. This is the definition of wisdom.

But back to the one person thing, I think that some people may make generalizations on DCP that are unfounded, others simply regurgitate what they read (sadly)...

No kidding. Sadly, that's pretty rampant around here.

Who cares about marching? that is secondary! The music comes first and foremost!

I come to hear some great music not to watch a buch of dorks prance around the field.

Go to a broadway musical if you want that crap! This is drum corps not Cats!

and #### with your stupid microphone!

How can anyone be qualified enough to make an absolute statement like this?

:worthy::tic::worthy::worthy::tic:

Disagree for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not griping at or bashing you. And second, I'm not meaning to bash anyone who hasn't marched.

Experience in DC lends a great deal to the ability of someone to judge difficulty of a show--especially you guys who marched like 5 years in one place. You guys generally got to see some good shows and some off-years. Even you recent, multi-year Cavies have seen some shows that were tougher than others.

Again, I don't intend to derail this into a debate over experience--I'm sure those threads will launch by September 1st.

But I am saying that one person is capable of comparing the difficulty of various shows. And with design staff at certain corps staying in place for several years, it is easy to see recurring elements of those corps' pop up from one year to the next.

I'll be honest, I'm not that good at comparing some of these elements from corps to corps and year to year with any particular corps, probably because I only watch them a limited number of times. For example, I have seen 'Faust' and 'Machine' on youtube a couple of times since last year and that's about it. Had I been on staff at another corps, travelled all over last summer, seen these performances a number of times and tracked them as they developed, and seen previous years' shows, and made such a study an annual thing, I feel reasonably certain that I would be a better judge of degree of difficulty.

This would probably be a good thing for me to do since DC is still in my blood, I am a reasonably creative person, and knowing a bit more what goes into a difficult show would be very helpful. Knowing what your corps is capable of and what stretches them too far is very important.

But back to the one person thing, I think that some people may make generalizations on DCP that are unfounded, others simply regurgitate what they read (sadly), but I also think that some folks on here are able to critique what they say reasonably accurately.

And believe it or not, some of those people, I realize, never marched junior corps! Keep up the informed, accurate crititques. Drop the crap. And know which of those statements applies to you. This is the definition of wisdom.

Can we save this post for every time some idiot says "you cant judge how hard a show is unless you march it!!!"