Finals retreat

Can someone who was at the Rose Bowl last night talk about what reatreat was like? I mean, how exactly did it go? I saw retreat at Madison last year and remember Brandt Crocker practically yelling at corps to get off the field so that the champion could do their victory concert. Were things a little more organized last night?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly hope so. It was the same way as you describe in 2005 and every other year I've seen it. The other corps milling around the field for an hour is really disrespectful to the champions who would probably like to do a victory encore while there are still people in the stands.

This is one area that needs drastic improvement in my opinion

Edited by dbc03

Don't forget, with the system being DM only retreats at all shows except Finals now, corps never get a chance to practice how to do a full corps retreat. Cut them some slack, lol.

Don't forget, with the system being DM only retreats at all shows except Finals now, corps never get a chance to practice how to do a full corps retreat. Cut them some slack, lol.

It's not the process of doing full retreat that is the problem. It's AFTER retreat when they just wonder around the field talking to people and taking pictures for an hour

I didn't get the impression that they even left as corps units anymore. Doesn't Brandt just say that they are all dismissed? So they proceed to just mill about. Why they don't dismiss each corps at a time and have them march off is beyond me. They had them march onto the field to begin with, so marching back off sounds proper. Surely every drumline knows a cadence, so crank it up and get out.

Edited by Tekneek

Can someone who was at the Rose Bowl last night talk about what reatreat was like? I mean, how exactly did it go? I saw retreat at Madison last year and remember Brandt Crocker practically yelling at corps to get off the field so that the champion could do their victory concert. Were things a little more organized last night?

He had to make two announcements to clear the field....then they did....and he said BD, the field is YOURS

Did the Blue Devils go nuts when second place was announced?

Did the Blue Devils go nuts when second place was announced?

yes, as did a large portion of the crowd. Very partisan, as would be expected. Basically, they announce number one the second they announce number two, so you have disappointment and cheering, being bummed out and the guys next to you dancing on the field etc. That's the "thrill of competition, the agony of defeat" in action.

Nothing over the top.

, being bummed out and the guys next to you dancing on the field etc.

i thought it was pretty savage that they marched there show again....

the bass drum waltz was freaking amzing too!