Who was your favorite PBS broadcasting team?

There was also a sideline reporter (female).forget her name..that did live interviews as corps came off the field.

Don't know her last name, but I'm pretty sure her first name was Barbara

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1980 broadcast I thought was the best DCI broadcast. It was also the last time the top 12 were shown live on PBS. Steve Rondinaro, Jim Peck and Rita Moreno. There was also a sideline reporter (female).forget her name..that did live interviews as corps came off the field. Steve Rondinaro hosted DCI finals starting in 1979, but he actually hosted DCI East from Allentown in 1978 which was also broadcast by PBS, so when he says he's been doing this for 29 years, he is correct. If I leave anyone out, someone correct me but from memory here are some of the hosts and co-hosts of DCI telecasts and cinecasts..

Gene Rayburn

Helen Rayburn

Peter Emmons

Steve Rondinaro

Jim Peck

Maynard Ferguson

Rita Moreno

Carmen Appice

Rob McConnell

Chuck Mangione

Pat Birch

Dr. Richard Santo

Dennis DeLucia

Don Angelica

Micheal Cesario

Dr. Charles Webb

Curt Gowdy

John Madden

Although Gowdy butchered a lot of names, I thought it was a major coup to land him. The Rondinaro/Delucia tandem is the best IMO.

All of these were pretty good (with the serious exception of Mr. "duh" Appice --- he was totally out of his league or his mind). I think the current team is great --- even Jessica is good. Cesario adds a certain "something" that is needed tho.....

I think it was the Rayburns and Tim Moxley the first year of the PBS broadcast and Rondo, Don Angelica, and Michael Kumer (remember, he wasn't that impressed with SCV, that night) in 1986 or 1987, the year after Dr. Webb co-hosted. It was Barbara Hunter in '78 with Pete Emmons, and there were two female "sideline" reporters in the 80's. Denise something and Barbara something. Now I have to go dig out my old VHS tapes. I remember when Angelica said the Rools Royce of the activity thing for SCV. When you're right, you're right.

I think her name was Denise Richards, not that of the former Mrs. Sheen. Anyone know the name of the guy who did the sideline at the 1981 DCI Midwest 10th Anniversary telecast? Announcer that night?

88 was and always will be vintage Cesario for me. He had the pastel suit, the endless quotables...it was priceless. Webb was like the comic foil, and Reliable Rondo was, well, the glue.

I guess that's pretty much the the river's crest, right there.

I always enjoyed Curt Gowdy giving it the ol' college try...good for him. He seemed to really give it a go, too. I never faulted him for screwing stuff up...it gave it a really human quality, like a fan didn't have to be an expert, and it was OK.

OK, so I tensed up when he said "running around the field, through the band" when they were showing Regiment. SO? :P

Curt Gowdy called DCI finals?

Ok, I now feel really old. Oh well. . . .

Don Angelica was a pro, and gave very informed, candid commentary. He did call SCV the "Rolls Royce of the activity," but also said that their feet weren't on that night. That impressed me that he would say that.

Gowdy rocked. "Kansas City Star" indeed. I fell off the couch and proceeded to laugh my *** off when I heard that one. I loved Curt. People forget that he was a broadcasting LEGEND, and having him on the broadcast really was a big deal.

I saw the quarters performance for the first time this year. I liked it. It seems that things are a little more relaxed. There's a recognition that there are some more sophisticated fans watching.