Blue Devils 2007 High Percussion

I thought the deserved it. The BD percussion section were strong, dynamic, well integrated and in general threw down. Battery and pit (seems most of the folks on here only think of the battery when percussion talk begins).

I have no doubt that a line like Phantom's would be stars in the parking lot. Paul Rennick is a great teacher. And there are always arguments for this line over the other. But, to my knowledge, there are no judges posting on DCP - just fans with opinions.

My opinion happens to go along with the judges - BD!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna wait untill I get the DVD and can watch the top 6 with the drum judge audio option, and then I'll decide who I thought was best. But more often than not, the judges are right about this sort of thing. BD did well all season, Phantom had a rediculously clean snareline...

Of my friends who I talked to at semi's in the warm-up parking lot (one of whom is a former section leader for SCV), they were of the opinion that Phantom had the best line by far.

I thought Cadets had the best quality of sound, by far.

I too am VERY suprised that Cadets or Phantom didn't receive the High Percussion Award.

I guess I was kind of surprised that they won because a lot of the clips I saw, including the new ones on vicfirth.com, have quite a bit of dirty playing (mostly snares). I think much of that is because of all the body movements and the splitting the line and moving around the big drums on the sideline. Notes wise - I don't think anyone plays anything harder than BD - I was looking for some of the jaw dropping tenor parts, but I haven't caught them yet. Someone posted something earlier about how good the timpani player was - thanks - I'll listen for that.

NO....After seeing them live and hearing the quarterfinal broadcast- I don't think they deserved it. I didn't even think they were top 3. I had Phantom, Cavies, Cadets then maybe BD.

BD was playing A LOT of Kick ### beats and they were Clean!!! so i DO think they should have been top along with Phantom and Cadets....Phantom was pretty close but maybe its possible they didn't get it because they weren't top 3???

From my perspective at finals, the Cadet's drum feature was very dirty. Maybe it was just where I was seated (I was seated all the way back by the 20 or 10 or so on the right side of the audience).

Don't forget that BD had an excellent pit. I know that everyone loves Phantom's pit, but my personal opinion of their pit is even though they are excellent, they have a well-written book and they play it very well which disguises the fact that it isn't technically the hardest pit book. The parts I was paying attention to didn't seem too hard...but I wasn't paying attention the whole time. They were just very well-written.

I was very impressed with the Cavaliers' pit, especially with the fast sixteenth note single independent strokes during Angry Young Man (I think the tune is called). It's very very hard to play single independent strokes that fast.

BD had an excellent pit and they played the h*** out of their unison runs. With unison runs it's very easy to hear dirt, but it sounded as if one person was playing them. I was personally more impressed with the Cavaliers and Blue Devil's pits than I was Phantom's pit...not that I wasn't impressed with Phantom.

Rex and I were just talking about how we find it interesting that people sitting behind their computer screens, watching a crummy lot video, relatively low resolution webcast, or third-hand information know more about who should have won than trained professional judges that were THERE on the field or in the skybox.

Didn't you ever wonder that yourself?

Congrats to the Blue Devils, of course.

beto

Edited by BetoSuave