Who Do You Love?

Okay, instead of hashing out who should have won and why, how about picking your 4 or 5 favorite corps or programs and talk about why they got you. No comparisons, just talk about each corps on its own merits.

Mine:

1) Blue Devils

No surprise here ... It thought it was a magnificent book, certainly some of Wayne Downey's best work ... It was also a book that had melodies you could sing in your head (well, in my case I could when the voices stopped talking to me.) The horn line was awesome, and the drumline cooked. The visual program and color guard flowed beautifully and supported the music (I'm personally not into programs where the music is there solely as an excuse for visual as it sometimes is.) Performance levels were amazing.

2) Bluecoats

I loved the Criminal show. Not only was the corps outstanding, but program-wise they had one of the best designed and executed concept shows out there. It was sophisticated, fun, at times funny, and performed at levels that I felt were far above the numbers that the corps was getting. To me, this approach to a theatrical drum corps presentation really has the kind of audience appeal that is so often neglected in the top echelon shows. In fact, I would go as far as to say that, if the Bridgemen were a junior corps today and were competing at the top levels in DCI, this year's Bluecoats is what I would expect them to be like. Brilliant, brilliant drum corps and show.

3) Carolina Crown

Again, a corps that understands Theatre as well as drum corps. This program, while more Disney-esque than 'coats show, brought theatricalization, characterization and story telling to a new level in the activity. The brass section was beautiful and had a lyrical quality like few others (well, hey, Donnie Van Doren. Enough said.) and the use of the color guard was very, very effective in communicating the equine theme of the show. I've heard "William Tell" played a few times over the years, but never with the performance level and sound that Crown had this year. This is also a corps that I feel should have earned higher numbers than were being given out this season.

4) The Cadets

Yeah, that's right ... The Cadets. I still think they practiced microphone abuse, and that it was a major flaw in the show but, as Dennis DeLucia suggested in the Quarterfinals telecast, I got over it. This show annoyed the crap out of me at the beginning of the season, but by Friday night, a combination of the cutbacks of the narration and the bawls-out insane performance levels of the corps got me. This was a brilliantly designed musical and visual book and a corps that came to play. There is something about a "take no prisoners" attitude in a corps that makes it hard not to love.

5) Santa Clara Vanguard

Great book, great performace levels and probably the best visual program on the field. Besides, they're the Vanguard so they'll always be in my top five.

Next?

Edited by DCIHasBeen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment-Classic, emotionally charged, just...solid drum corps. If you watch that show, you'll know why I'm such a huge Phantom Phan.

Boston Crusaders-Not really on everyone's list; but I personally found their show to be very entertaining. It was their horn ballad, though...that really sold me. Beautiful stuff.

Blue Devils

For reasons previously mentioned.

Phantom Regiment

This show really surprised me. The Gershwin and Faust shows, while entertaining, didn't do much for me, and I was expecting much of the same. But 'On Air' made quite effective use of drill, song, and performance to make the theme rise out, possibly moreso than the others. And it wasn't cheesy. The music was first rate and performed exquisitely. This is my favorite Phantom show this decade, with the Astor Piazzolla show being second.

Blue Knights

I have always been a lurking fan of the Blue Knights and their approach to dark classical music, although they don't get the love I think they deserve on DCP. They keep raising their level of performance each year, and this year was no different. Their music is always so haunting and so well performed!

Cavaliers

The guard performed so well this year. Also for the fugue part of the show where they form the arcs that end up into one connected linear formation, which flowed with the development of the fugue...great stuff! The hornline did well for such a large amount of new blood. Looking forward to the coming years where the players begin to mature and we get that lush, full, beautiful sound we're accustomed to.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Their show was just great all around. They are getting back to the kind of music that I remember them for, and that's a good thing. Glad they climbed up a few notches during the end. It was well deserved.

Edited by jaylogan

cadets and the baris at the end of their opener. yummy.

Phantom, can't get Firebird out of my head.

Madison Scouts, just love the whole show and their tenacity

BD for the closer and percussion

Cavaliers - can't go wrong with Billy Joel, love the jazzy vibe of the show

Add my votes for Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, and Bluecoats.

Out of the corps that I saw (only attended the Stanford show)...SCV (great music/drill), Bluecoats (very entertaining), Blue Knights (awesome dark music), Troopers (happy to see them back/loves me the sunburst)

Edited by helmsm

As a cymbal player, SCV's show this year is among my top all time.

As pretty much a lifelong fan of Billy Joel (my personal pre-show pump up music was always “The Entertainer”), as well as a huge fan of geometric drill Cavies also might be among my all time favorites. Maybe not as high as their 2002 show, but still.

Aside from those two I was very much impressed by The Academy’s product, especially for their first div I show.

1. Santa Clara Vanguard- Some would say, well you marched there so of course you would pick them first..But believe it or not, they don't have my favorite show every year (93-96, 03, 06 to name a few)..But this year has to be my favorite Vanguard show since the 2000 show...I keep watching the semis performance over and over..I have to say the corps has come A LONG way from when I saw them at Murf and Atlanta..I left so upset because you just couldn't feel the energy from them at all out there. It was one of the few times I've ever seen the corps come out flat..Then I saw them during the semis webcast and I was just blown away. Man I wish I could of been there to see it live.All the changes they made were just right on! The new ballad drill, little musical transitions they added, the tag ending, and all the other little things they added just worked for me...And it made me proud to see them go out there and throw down with the "Vanguard attitude" they were lacking when I saw them earlier in the season. Ok, I can go on and on so I'll leave it at that. Great show!!! :lookaround:

2. Bluecoats- By far my favorite Coats show ever!! Great theme and great music! A smoking hornline which was just fun to listen to. From a musical stand point, there was nothing about the show I didn't love..The ballad was also underrated IMO..The ONLY part of the show I didn't like was when the entire hornline went behind the tarps during the drum solo..It went from a drum corps show to a winterguard show for a little over 30 seconds. But maybe that's what they were going for. It was also nice to see a different Coats attitude this year..Very aggressive and dark! Loved it! I can see this corps winning a championship very soon..

3. The Cadets-Narration aside, this show was just straight up intense..Very demanding show which held nothing back..One of the loudest hornlines I've heard in a while..And the brass technique wasn't shabby either..Loved the opening horn statment of the show going into the company front..Just an intense show which never let up..First place in my eyes.

3. Phantom Regiment- I'll make it no secret that I'm a big Regiment fan..Outside of Santa Clara, they are my favorite. Had three of my favorite shows this decade ( 03, 05, and 06). Horn line was on fire at the end of the season..Much improved from ealrier this season. The ballad was just amazing! Also thought their percussion deserved better. I'm not a drum guy, but I love they way they sound. Right now it seems obvious where they need to improve next year and I hope they can do it!!

5. Crown- What can I say about this show which hasn't been said before? Just a great fan-friendly show! The 16 count chord was just...well glorious is the word which comes to mind. I'm glad the guard finished 2nd at finals because they deserved no less..It seemed like they were staged perfectly for this show. Percussion also seemed much improved..The ballad was just beautiful.

5. Madison- It's hard to believe I'm saying this after seeing them earlier in the season. It was really a mess to be honest. When I saw them again in Atlanta they were better but still didn't have me pulled in..Then I saw them a week later and started thinking "wow this show is starting to grow on me." And finally, when I saw them at semis I was in shock..Oh how they improved over the season. They had my favorite opening sequence out of everyone..Just loved it! Hornline was on fire!! And I really liked the visual design-for the most part. Another great show..

So there you have it..My top 5. Or 6....