Blue Stars 2007

So, as a fan of the Blue Stars I would like to know from the "professionals" what kept them out of finals this year. Were they not good enough? Was it just that the corps above them were better? (I realize that this must sound bad but I didn't know how else to word this...)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed their hornline. Great deep, dark tonality. I think their hornline was better than others hat placed higher. (phantom, Cavaliers,........)

I really don't know, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed their hornline. Great deep, dark tonality. I think their hornline was better than others hat placed higher. (phantom, Cavaliers,........)

well I'm not a "professional" but I would venture a safe bet and guess that it was indeed exactly what you mentioned: the corps above them were just better with what they had to work with than what Blue Stars had to go with this year. That sure doesn't/didn't make the Blue Stars BAD, though. What a great jump into Div 1 they have had so far.

But I am sure that their staff is motivated and ready to take what they learned this year and crank it up a notch again. I think Blue Stars return to Div 1 has been stellar, and that they are on a pace to be back in DCI finals ... maybe next year! It sure could have been this year if there was just a little more time, yeah?

I personally didn't connect with their show. It seemed like they were too focused on their new uniforms and showing off the contrast of blue and white.

Woah! I said the same exact thing after I saw them at semis!

I have two personal opinions about their show. I enjoyed it very much by the way, but...

As much as I love their new uniforms, and I really do enjoy them a lot, I felt that their individual marching was too exposed because of them, and as a result scores a little lower than if they had had the old uniforms. On that note, while a lot of parts in the show were designed wonderfully to incorporate the uniform, a lot of parts seemed to forget how the uniform was going to look, and a result felt like it took away from the show. (They did, however, do an amazing job of fixing a lot of those spots over the course of the season)

Second, I believe it to be the curse of the Firebird. Simply put, the firebird does not do well for drum corps, and the more of it you play the worse you're going to be. Has nothing to do with how well you perform it, just simply that you do. Phantom took fourth this year, and I believe that was just a "small tumor" from the Firebird, while Blue Stars who played it out right took 14th, the full blown malignant show. Cavies 97, same thing. Firebird is cursed! I'm calling it now, cursed!