Now that they're back home

In store radio broadcasting network. I still catch myself marching down the aisles in-step to whatever is blaring over the loudspeakers!

<edit>

Hate to tell you but this NEVER goes away. I still do it and I haven't marched in 20+ years !!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to tell you but this NEVER goes away. I still do it and I haven't marched in 20+ years !!!!

It's very dangerous at the gym. I can't run on a treadmill when there's music, because the speed of the treadmill is not what's going to determine my speed on that thing...

FTW!!!!! :blink::blink::worthy::worthy:

I loved how he kept writing. I thought I said a lot, that's awesome! Every five sentences was "one more thing." But seriously, there's so many funny jokes/stories/lessons, I imagine we all could write that much.

Ya know what I hate about coming back from tour? After half an hour on a couch, you realize "this is a lot nicer than being out in the sun," and you end up being on that couch way longer than half an hour. This is bad, or at least was for me, because even though my desire to go run for half the day was gone, my desire to eat everything (and we all know that when you are on tour, you can and will eat everything, including $20 of Whitecastle after the Indy show, and still be ready for dinner at the food truck) never went away. Man did I put on weight fast, and I lost 45 lbs my last year marching!

That's hysterical. Man, I wish I would have thought of that.

I remember coming back after my first year of tour and it was quite a shock for my parents. Unlike when I marched with Blue Knights in 95 and 96 where a large majority of the kids actually stay at home during all-days and see their parents quite often, I was 17 in 92 and moved to "the apartments" for Freelancers' all-days starting on Memorial Day. Just living in those apartments was an experience on their own. But this meant I didn't see my parents again until after Finals and the drive home except for that one little hour after a show in Riverside, CA. And of course there weren't any cell phones or anything, so they'd get about a call a week, maybe.

(snipped only to save space)

Great post, Cathie, every word of it. Thanks for taking the time.

:blink:'s this thread!

More, please!!

Thought it might be fun to talk about transitioning back into home life. What changes do you see in your kids after their summer on the road? What do they seem to miss the most? What quirks are you noticing? How have they grown?

My mom wasn't too happy when I changed for my cousin's wedding in the parking lot of the church soon after aging out.

I didn't see what the big deal was! :worthy:

My mom wasn't too happy when I changed for my cousin's wedding in the parking lot of the church soon after aging out.

I didn't see what the big deal was! :doh:

YOU DROPPED TROU AT A WEDDING???? :worthy::beer::beer::beer:

Close the thread!!! We have a winnah!!

I loved the feeling of getting off tour. I was thin (well, alright, thinner :P ) and I felt more mature.

Unfortunately, some of the great aspects that drum corps gives you leaves after a year, like an appreciation of a day without running laps and being in the basics block.

Still, great things stay with you. It's pretty safe to say that most people who go through drum corps mature mentally by about 5-10 years.

Ah man...today was a perfect example of being home from tour and not knowing what to do. I woke up, shaved and showered and then literally said..."Okay...now what?" So what did I do to entertain myself? Went to the mall for lunch and sat around watching how people in the real world act :P