Changes in Leadership at the Boston Crusaders

source: http://crusaders.com/crusaders/news/news_i...ews_item_id=305

For Immediate Release

August 14, 2007

Changes in Leadership at the Boston Crusaders

The Board of Directors of the Boston Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps has accepted the resignation of Corps Director Howard Weinstein.

Howard began his career with the Boston Crusaders in 1999, and led the corps to 9 consecutive DCI finals appearances. The board sincerely appreciates Howard’s passion and dedication to the corps, and respects his decision.

At this time, the board has promoted Tom Spataro to Executive Director of the organization. Tom has served as the Corps' Operations Director for the past two seasons, and has taken on an increasing level of responsibility and demonstrated an unwavering committment to the Crusaders organization, on and off the field.

The Crusaders' Board of Directors is confident that Tom's proven track record with managment of the Corps' operations, his knowledge of the activity, his leadership abilities and his dedication to the Boston Crusaders will mark the beginning of a new era for the Boston Crusaders.

### Boston, MA August 14, 2007###

I'd say this is a fairly serious development for the corps, especially since Howard has been so instrumental in the development of BAC into a perennial finalist and top 5 finisher since 1999. I'm really curious to see whether or not this affects the corps' focus on recruitment and winter operations in Florida, and whether or not those closely affiliated with Mr. Weinstein will be on the staff at Boston next year.

Thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

source: http://crusaders.com/crusaders/news/news_i...ews_item_id=305

I'd say this is a fairly serious development for the corps, especially since Howard has been so instrumental in the development of BAC into a perennial finalist and top 5 finisher since 1999. I'm really curious to see whether or not this affects the corps' focus on recruitment and winter operations in Florida, and whether or not those closely affiliated with Mr. Weinstein will be on the staff at Boston next year.

Thoughts?

Time will tell all.

Time will tell all.

That's no more a 'thought' than this is.

Just did some digging. I thought I recognized the name of Mr. Spataro as a BAC Drum Major:

Published on: 2/2/2006

Tom Spataro has been named the Boston Crusaders' new operations director

Spataro first joined the Boston Crusaders in 1999 and served as the corps' drum major in his final two seasons before aging out in 2001.

In accepting the position, Spataro remarked, "It is a great honor to return to the Crusaders family and have the opportunity to devote my full-time efforts to working with program director Howard Weinstein and the corps' management team."

As operations manager, Spataro will be responsible for managing the corps' office and the day-to-day administration of the organization. In addition, he will be organizing auditions, rehearsals and performances, as well as planning the corps' summer tour.

Spataro is a 2001 graduate of Boston College, where he majored in music, and where he continues to be involved as director of the University Pep Band. Since graduating from college, Tom has most recently been working as a craftsman in the musical instrument manufacturing industry. He lives in Newton, Mass., with his wife, Jackie.

While I mean no disrespect to Howard Weinstein, I hope that this change in leadership will also lead to a change in the programming style. Many of the BAC shows since 1999 have had a very similar style that I feel kind of put them in a rut. Perhaps this will take them in a slightly different direction and they can freshen things a little, though obviously they have not been doing too badly since they have made Finals 9 years in a row after not making it once before since DCI was formed.

As with any change in directorship, it can be hard to predict where this might lead Boston. Certainly I'll hope for the best and I imagine that Boston will continue to be a top 12 contender.

I knew those easels were bad news just like the animals skins were for Madison

Yeah, thats a joke

I’m sure he need more time to get ready for his court date, that’s another joke

OK, I’ll just stop rumor mongering now, well maybe not

does this have anything to do with onions