How would you redesign 2/3?

Well although this may be stated already, to redesign II/III I offer the following opinion:

Aside form the logistical things to change or not too, I believe that the first and most important change comes from within. The Div. II/III corps need to promote themselves in a positive light, to show that most are limited in touring, allowing members to have summer jobs, summer school etc.... T promote the entire activity as what it is. The quality of many II/III corps has individual; members that are equal and surpass some members of Div. I. II/III needs to be the alternative for those with other commitments, as well as a training ground for those to gain experience. The attitude needs to be changed first from the corps (staff, members bod) of II/III then focus on DCI promoting II/III in a more positive manner. Although DCI's mandate is to promote it's member corps, the minute that they established themselves as leaders in the activity and offered the class A, a/60, Div. II/III they took on a responsibility to promote it and to see it thrive. Before we change the times and classifictaions for corps we need to actively promote II/III as a quality product that DCI FULLY supports. DCI needs to know that the II/III activity is a strong movement, provides positive skills and attitudes and prepares those members who are able or wish to proceed to Div. I the experience and opportunity as well as knowing that the real excitement comes from a group of young people who put out more heart then any other activity. In a nutshell, DCI needs to embrace II/III more and use it to it's advantage in promoting DCI, especially internationally.

Just my $0.02

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have VK perform twice. :P

My ideas:

1. Combine both divisions into 1 division. People keep lumping them together now, so just make it a reality.

2. Get rid of D2 scoring. Never understood the reason for for it in the 80s and 20 years later I still don't.

3. Tweak the show designs a little (or a lot). Stop trying to do D1 type shows.

This is something I had brought up last year, and I started talking a little bit about it in the Div. I forum, but will post here too (because I can ^0^ )

First and formost, a proposal that I had sent to the directors of Drum Corps International last year (and possibly again this year).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: Mandatory Periodic Organization Evaluations

DESCRIPTION: All organizations fielding a corps for Drum Corps International (DCI) Division I/II/III competition must go through a re-evaluation of organization responsibilities similar to that when applying for DCI competition as a new corps. Either every year, every other year, or every three/five years depending on the good standing of the said organization.

PURPOSE/RATIONAL: Gives DCI, members, and supporters of today’s drum corps a sense of security into an organization’s preparations for summer competition. It also keeps organizations in check on their 501c3 responsibilities while preparing for summer competition. As there is no current evaluation system in place other than that for new or returning corps to the field, organizations may tend to slide on their 501c3 and financial responsibilities.

CREATIVE IMPACT: None

FISCAL IMPACT: Cost of any travel Drum Corps Officials may need for the re-evaluation process (i.e. sitting in on organization’s BoD meetings, etc.) of each competing corps’ organization, as well as cost of office time in handling any paperwork associated with the evaluation process.

AUDIENCE IMPACT: Increase in confidence in organization responsibilities, quite possibly leading to an increase in sales or donations, as well as prospective members' families/parents will have a better sense of security.

SHOW PROMOTER IMPACT: Show Promoters will have a sense of security that corps on their list to participate in their show will not fold or go inactive.

LOGISTICS IMPACT: Organizations sponsoring a drum corps for summer competition will have to submit information that shows they are financially stable to fund their corps, that they are keeping in pace with any organizational goals, are within their mission statement, and are abiding by all laws pertaining to their 501c3 status of their home state for that particular year/period.

DCI would then decide based on these evaluations, which corps are in sound mind to participate/compete in a summer (full, semi, regional) tour.

JUDGING IMPACT: None

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, with that, something that I have been thinking about this year...

In keeping with the Div. I/II/III structure:

Division III: New corps with start-up organizations or have yet to fully comply with DCI guidleines (guidelines to what I am proposing above for a financially sound and stable organization). Corps is limited to compete within their region with an option to participate in world championships and focus shows prior (so a two-week out-of-region-tour).

Division II: Cadet-corps, organizations that do comply with DCI guidelines, no touring requirements or limitations.

Division I: As is now, comply with and have been complying with DCI guidelines for a minimum 3 years. Minimum show requirements + DCI majors

Here's the fun part...................

All corps, regardless of division are on the same judging sheets.

150 member rule (from 2008 onwards, right?) implies to all corps, regardless of division.

For championships weekend

- Separate divisional prelims

- multi-divisional quarterfinals (top 21 Division I, top 6 division II, top 6 division III, everyone, together, Division II and III champions are announced. Any Division II corps that had applied for Division I status the year prior and is granted division I status would be annonuced. If any of newly granted corps placed in the top 17, they would be invited to move on to semi-finals)

- division I semifinals (yeah, only division I... organizations that show a sound body should be rewared for doing so.)

- division I finals

Division II corps can only apply for division I status after complying with DCI guidleines for three years straight, and can only apply between Labor Day and Thanksgiving (pretty much when they're finishing up duties for the prior season and working on the next season). Evaluation process would occur from the new year to championship prelims, checking on both the organization's responsibilities as well as the corps functionality both on and off tour.

Division III corps can apply for Division II status at the conclusion of the drum corps season. DCI would then grant or deny division II status prior to Thanksgiving based on the organization's records and handling of the corps the seaosn prior and whether or not they complied with DCI guidelines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again (as stated in quoted proposal), not every corps would be evaluated every year.

Division I corps should be re-evaluated every three to five years. If they don't comply with DCI guidleines, then they will have to be evaluated again the following year. If a Division I corps does not meet requirements set forth by DCI guidelines for two years straight, then they will be bumped down to Division II. If said corps fails to meet requirements a third year, they will then be bumped down to division III status and will have to wait one year before they can regain (if they comply with DCI guidelines) division II status.

Division II corps are re-evaluated every one to three years, or when they apply for division I status. If a division II corps does NOT comply with DCI guidelines for two years straight, they will be bumped down to division III status and will have to wait one year before they can regain (if they comply with DCI guidelines) division II status.

Division III corps are evaluated every year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, pretty much what I'm getting at here is to restructure division II & III as a rewards system, or a ladder system. Corps move up (or down) based on organization (the 501c3 that sponsors the corps) practices (financial practices, maintaining goals, properly staffed, etc.).

eddie, what do you say to a Div II two corps that may not have applied for Div I statues but still placed in the top 17 overall?

They would be awarded whatever place they received as a division II corps, and a big congratulations on making it as far as they did.

For as much as we hate it, restrictions are going to have to be placed somewhere.

This plan sounds omewhat like the British Soccer (Football... Whatever...) pyramid...

Actually, I have been proposing even a step further:

I propose only 1 class with three touring models (National, Limited, and Regional). All corps would use the same sheets and all would compete against each other.

National Corps: Similar to most Div I corps now. These corps would tour nationally. They would compete in all 4 Regionals. They would most likely (although not necessarily) attract members nationally, like many (most?) do now. Why would a corps choose this model? More competitive opportunities against the widest range of "opponents" to drive towards the Championships, more visibility = better recruiting opportunities, better marketing opportunities, etc.

Limited Tour Corps: Would only compete in show within a 2 day drive from home. Would only compete in 2 Regionals -- their own and the next closest region. Would compete in Finals and be seeded appropriately below the National corps at Quarters or Prelims. Members would likely be a mix of national and local. Would still see a variety of corps, but might not compete against every other Limited or Regional corps over the course a given season. Why? Easier on budget, may help recruit members who can't/don't want to do full tour.

Regional Tour Corps: Would only compete close to home - within a days drive. Would only compete in 1 Regional. Could complete in Finals if desired/budgeted and if so, would be seeded below Limited Tour corps for Quarters/Prelims. Would not compete against other Regional corps during the season and may not face all other corps, as well. Members would likely be local (although certainly not necessary) Why? Budget, local member availability, etc.

Corps could switch from one model to the next each year, in steps of 1 up of down (Regional to Limited, Limited to National or the opposite -- NOT Regional to National in 1 year). So corps could be generally LImited or Regional, but budget to work up to National once every four years, for example.

All corps would compete against each other at all shows on the same sheets. All shows (as best as possible) would be a mix of National, Limited and Regional corps.

Most Finals winners, I believe, would likely come from the National Tour ranks because of their increased opportunites for competition, competitive atmosphere, judges feedback, etc. But not necessarily. Once Quarters and Prelims are seeded, top 17 perform in inverse order at Semis and Top 12 at Finals, just like now, no matter what touring model they came from.

I believe that most corps would strive to be a National model because this offers the highest level of competition, the best opportunites for marketing and recruiting (read: $$$), and the best opportunity to experience the activity for the members. But all corps will be able to find a level appropriate for their budget and growth plans, yet still have the opportunity to compete against the "big boys" and compare your progress accrodingly. I believe this would also allow for many more startups to not have to commit themselves in too deeply too quickly, yet still afford that top level competition that startups crave.

Obviously, there are many deatils to work out -- this is just a first blush summary of the plan. So please do not dismiss this en masse because of 1 or 2 flaws or things that are not yet addressed. But feel free to add concerns or additions to the model to see if we can flush this out a little and see if any or all of it is a practical/feasible/workable solution.

Thanks for your time.

So, pretty much what I'm getting at here is to restructure division II & III as a rewards system, or a ladder system. Corps move up (or down) based on organization (the 501c3 that sponsors the corps) practices (financial practices, maintaining goals, properly staffed, etc.).

That sort of makes it sound like Division III is a place to escape, and only poorly run corps stay there, but given your marching experience I'm not accusing you of suggesting that...It just sort of sounds that way.

Everyone knows there are very well run corps that simply choose to stay in Division III.

This plan sounds omewhat like the British Soccer (Football... Whatever...) pyramid...

Well, kinda. Except that it's not a "forced" relegation/promotion system like the English Premier League. Corps could choose any of the tour options each year based on their budget and goals. You could have a year where there are more or less (or none) utilizing one of the options. Although, I believe that this model would, over time, make it more condusive for start-ups to gain a foothold at each level while still competing on an even level with the "big boys" so I think you'd see a steady of progression of corps thru each level.