How would you redesign 2/3?

Since there is a lot of unsubstantiated rumors flying around that D2 is going to get yet smaller, let's discuss how we would change D2/3 for the better. If you were King of DCI, what would you do? Here are my ideas:

2/3 would be combined with a 50-100 member range only, renaming it the Open Division. (D1 -> World Division)

Each season there would be 4 or 5 regional championships that are official, and available for this division only. Winners of a region title would be seeded highest at prelims, and a corps could only win one outside of its home region; else it is in exhibition that show.

Canadian Corps would be eligible for the International title.

Sheets would be adjusted such that raw energy takes some precedence over pure excellence.

This new open division would be scored by no more than 5 judges, and would be judged by ordinals only -- points are for World.

Open division would not allow electricity for use.

Open would have shows of 8-10 minutes.

Open would allow at least one ordinal (of up to six if used) to be distributed by a show sponsor -- preferably someone appointed by the highest paying local sponsor. This ordinal would not be available for regional or championship events.

So what are your ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I have been proposing even a step further:

I propose only 1 class with three touring models (National, Limited, and Regional). All corps would use the same sheets and all would compete against each other.

National Corps: Similar to most Div I corps now. These corps would tour nationally. They would compete in all 4 Regionals. They would most likely (although not necessarily) attract members nationally, like many (most?) do now. Why would a corps choose this model? More competitive opportunities against the widest range of "opponents" to drive towards the Championships, more visibility = better recruiting opportunities, better marketing opportunities, etc.

Limited Tour Corps: Would only compete in show within a 2 day drive from home. Would only compete in 2 Regionals -- their own and the next closest region. Would compete in Finals and be seeded appropriately below the National corps at Quarters or Prelims. Members would likely be a mix of national and local. Would still see a variety of corps, but might not compete against every other Limited or Regional corps over the course a given season. Why? Easier on budget, may help recruit members who can't/don't want to do full tour.

Regional Tour Corps: Would only compete close to home - within a days drive. Would only compete in 1 Regional. Could complete in Finals if desired/budgeted and if so, would be seeded below Limited Tour corps for Quarters/Prelims. Would not compete against other Regional corps during the season and may not face all other corps, as well. Members would likely be local (although certainly not necessary) Why? Budget, local member availability, etc.

Corps could switch from one model to the next each year, in steps of 1 up of down (Regional to Limited, Limited to National or the opposite -- NOT Regional to National in 1 year). So corps could be generally LImited or Regional, but budget to work up to National once every four years, for example.

All corps would compete against each other at all shows on the same sheets. All shows (as best as possible) would be a mix of National, Limited and Regional corps.

Most Finals winners, I believe, would likely come from the National Tour ranks because of their increased opportunites for competition, competitive atmosphere, judges feedback, etc. But not necessarily. Once Quarters and Prelims are seeded, top 17 perform in inverse order at Semis and Top 12 at Finals, just like now, no matter what touring model they came from.

I believe that most corps would strive to be a National model because this offers the highest level of competition, the best opportunites for marketing and recruiting (read: $$$), and the best opportunity to experience the activity for the members. But all corps will be able to find a level appropriate for their budget and growth plans, yet still have the opportunity to compete against the "big boys" and compare your progress accrodingly. I believe this would also allow for many more startups to not have to commit themselves in too deeply too quickly, yet still afford that top level competition that startups crave.

Obviously, there are many deatils to work out -- this is just a first blush summary of the plan. So please do not dismiss this en masse because of 1 or 2 flaws or things that are not yet addressed. But feel free to add concerns or additions to the model to see if we can flush this out a little and see if any or all of it is a practical/feasible/workable solution.

Thanks for your time.

If you go to a show on the west coast, it is all divisions. Divsion 1, Divsion 2, Division 3, All Ages; the whole shootin' match. I went to a show in mid July with no Blue Devils and no Santa Clara, and it was still a pretty good show. Most of the scores I see from other regions of the country seem to indicate . . . Divsion 1 only. Mostly, if you want to see Division 2 or 3 corps you have to want to, you have to make a separate trip.

Not only is the amount of exposure the lower ranks of the activity is getting diminishing, but the travel demands on the Divison 1 corps has become beyond unresonable.

Open it up DCI. Give the lower divsions some more exposure, and ease the demands on Division 1. This is probably the best single thing you can do to extend the life of your organization.

Liam - I like the ideas you offered. It gives a deserved advantage to the National corps, but also allows Limited and Regional corps the opportunity to compete on the big stage, even up through finals if they have that Cinderella season that comes along every once in awhile.

Liam - I like the ideas you offered. It gives a deserved advantage to the National corps, but also allows Limited and Regional corps the opportunity to compete on the big stage, even up through finals if they have that Cinderella season that comes along every once in awhile.

I agree. I think that proposal is a great idea. I do think, however, that there's still a teeny tiny disadvantage to the West Coast corps in that they really would have to be either Regional or National. Limited Tour doesn't really get them any further than a Regional status, maybe Ogden, but I'm unaware of them having any Div II/III comps there. But this proposal is a heck of a lot better, in my opinion, than the current set up.

Nice job.

I agree. I think that proposal is a great idea. I do think, however, that there's still a teeny tiny disadvantage to the West Coast corps in that they really would have to be either Regional or National. Limited Tour doesn't really get them any further than a Regional status, maybe Ogden, but I'm unaware of them having any Div II/III comps there. But this proposal is a heck of a lot better, in my opinion, than the current set up.

Nice job.

Yeah, this is a good point. Something would have to be worked out where either:

1) There is an in-between category for corps without enough shows in their geographical area to meet the Limited criteria I laid out -- still allowing them to go to 2 Regionals and get that status at Finals

and/or

2) Concentrate startup corps efforts in the Western Plains area (Idaho/Montana/Utah/Colorado/Nevada/New Mexico/Oklahoma/Western Texas/etc to allow this to work.

Here's an example of how this format will point out the strategic opportunities for DCI to set growth targets for the future.

Thanks for the feedback !!!!! (Obviously, I'm still working on it!!!!)

Edited by Liam

I forgot who it was but you can't do it by how many shows they have and where they tour with the whole 2 day tour thing. Let's think about Teal, the closest show for them was Atlanta or a South Carolina show. They have to tour a lot to have shows. Memphis also has done 20+ shows a year always from when they started back in 2003 so they would have started out as a Div 1 corps.

The first thing I would do is make a Div 1 corps make a "cadet" corps like Colts, BD and SCV so kids can grow within the system and also there would be 20 or so more corps for the 1000s of kids who try out for Div 1 corps who try out, don't make it and don't do drum corps at all. If the a corps had just moved up to Div 1, they would have 3-6 years to create a "cadet" corps. There also would be a "cadet" division for this certain corps.

Div 2 would stay the same with the requirements of size and they would have to do at least 7-10 shows outside of finals.

Div 3 would be open to any size corps up to 60 members. They could do any schedule they want.

When finals come around all three would send their top 4 corps to semis and the next 5 highest scoring corps. Finals would be the top 12 corps regardless of classification.

This system makes sense to me.

Division III hard limit of 60 members, no gray area.

Eliminate semi-finals, and put II/III finals back to how it used to be: 7 & 5, because taking the top 9 in division II makes so much sense [/sarcasm]. And, put the show back on Wednesday night at the big stadium under the lights, because finishing your season and crowning champions at 2:00pm is uber-lame.

I forgot who it was but you can't do it by how many shows they have and where they tour with the whole 2 day tour thing. Let's think about Teal, the closest show for them was Atlanta or a South Carolina show. They have to tour a lot to have shows. Memphis also has done 20+ shows a year always from when they started back in 2003 so they would have started out as a Div 1 corps.

So again, a possible solution is to undergo a concerted effort to attract show sponsors and venues in particular areas that are lacking. Also undertake a project to recruit startup corps in areas that need coverage so that the Regional/Limited thing would work better.

I don't believe that we are ever going to go back to the days of 100s of corps, what with high school school programs filling that gap and all. So I don't think we'll have enough corps to maintain multiple viable national classes/tours. So my suggestion is that DCI undergo a super-project to maximize/optimize coverage of the country thru targeted startup efforts and new show locations. There are folks everywhere who will run corps and shows given the proper assistance. I believe this is a role DCI could and should oversee. Don't just leave it to individuals to start up corps and/or shows on their own. Go out and find them and support them and nudge them forward. Not saying DCI doesn't do some of this now -- just saying that I believe they should unveil a national strategy to implement these (or similar) ideas with 5/10/20 year targets for growth and show/corps coverage.

Thanks for the input :)