Judging change thought

Two judges (of the nine judges represented) GE Visual and GE Music

carry up to 20 points each that usually affect place ment more than other captions.

Although some other captions get an "averaged" score, they seem to remain more

consistent...because of averaging.

Music should ALWAYS be of the highest consideration in scoring a group, and therefore

should be weighted as such.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't tell that to the figure skating community or, worse, the ice dancing community... :doh:

And then of course there is synchronized swimming. :P

It would be much more interesting if they were swimmnig in string bikinis....and would probably be the best attended event all summer. b**bs

This has nothing to do with the Bluecoats placement but I figured someone would say that. I was just thinking you have 8 captions all worth 20 points when they are judged, but then 6 of those 8 get divided so they are of less value than the other 2. how come GE is more important than visual or music? why shouldn't all of the aspects of what the corps are doing on the field be weighted evenly? in the current judging system a corps can be stronger in GE and weaker in music and beat someone who is more evenly distributed across the captions. Why aren't all captions of equal value? That way a corps needs to be consistent across all captions instead of a corps being strong in GE and a little weaker somewhere else but still winning because the GE caption carries so much weight.

As someone new to the DC experiance this year, i have wondered this myself. Anyone know the original reason it was set up this way?

Yes I understand how the captions relate to each other, but in your example if a hornline is poor then their GE music score also suffers and this makes sense. but why should GE music be more important than the Actual Brass score? It's all related to the music. Brass is how well the horn line handles and performs the music, Ensemble is how well the horns and percussion blend, perc is how well the drum line handles the music and works front to back (pit/battery), and GE music is how effective the overall music is. so why is that one aspect, GE, of the music more important than the other aspects of the music?

Music GE is the culmination of all the musicians on the field. It should carry more weight than one particular aspect of the music ensemble. Stop trying to find a way to get the Boocoats up higher. They got what they earned.

Music GE is the culmination of all the musicians on the field. It should carry more weight than one particular aspect of the music ensemble. Stop trying to find a way to get the Boocoats up higher. They got what they earned.

and once again someone mentions the bluecoats. this has nothing to do with where they placed. The 3 corps from 5-7 could have finished in any of those 3 spots on any given night. Saturday just happened to be Bluecoats night in 7th. The season is over and the results are final, I've got no problem with that.

I have always been against the 2 GE captions being worth 1/5th of the score while the other 6 captions are all only worth 1/10th of the score. I would much rather prefer to see all the captions be of equal value.

And yes I agree with the guy who says the emphasis of the corps would be different if the judging was weighted different, but at that top level I don't think there would have been that much of a difference on their design and practice emphasis based on this change.

It is just that I'm tired of the old Adage 'The corps that wins GE will win the show' that says right there that GE carries to much weight and that 2 judges have too much control of the final outcome when there are 9 judges on the field.

Well one thing I would like to see is multiple judges averaged for each caption to minimize the effect of one judges opinion. Like they do in ice skating and diving and gymnastics and boxing and such. I know, I know -- in those sports each judge is giving a score for the overall performance, not build-up captions. But stll.

Also, I know there is a budget concern here and you certainly couldn't have too many more judges running aournd the field, but hey, those are only details and this is now officially the offseason, so I don't have to care about those right now .... :P

So I was thinking, Whey should the GE portion of the scoring be weighted more than the visual or music portions of the performance. Each caption is worth 20 points (keeping the percussion as an average of the 2 judges) and if you take the totals and multiply these by .625 to normalize the 160 total points down to 100 points then each of the captions would have the same weight in the final score of 1/8th of the final score.

I ran this scenario on the past three finals scores and for 2005 & 2006 the 12 placements would have stayed the same, but in 2007 SCV would have dropped to 7th and Crown and Bluecoats would each have moved up a slot.

I think this would make the scoring more even and fair instead of giving one aspect of the show more importance than other aspects.

What does everyone else think?

.................... DCI..... Equal

BLUE DEVILS......... 98.000.. 98.000

THE CADETS.......... 97.025.. 96.556

THE CAVALIERS....... 96.350.. 95.889

PHANTOM REGIMENT.... 94.850.. 95.167

SC VANGUARD......... 94.175.. 93.889

CAROLINA CROWN...... 94.150.. 94.167

BLUECOATS........... 94.050.. 94.444

BLUE KNIGHTS........ 90.275.. 90.056

BOS CRUSADERS....... 89.150.. 89.444

COLTS............... 86.150.. 86.000

GLASSMEN............ 85.750.. 86.167

SPIRIT OF JSU....... 84.500.. 84.944

.................... DCI..... Equal

BLUE DEVILS......... 98.000.. 98.000

THE CADETS.......... 97.025.. 96.556

THE CAVALIERS....... 96.350.. 95.889

PHANTOM REGIMENT.... 94.850.. 95.167

SC VANGUARD......... 94.175.. 93.889

CAROLINA CROWN...... 94.150.. 94.167

BLUECOATS........... 94.050.. 94.444

BLUE KNIGHTS........ 90.275.. 90.056

BOS CRUSADERS....... 89.150.. 89.444

COLTS............... 86.150.. 86.000

GLASSMEN............ 85.750.. 86.167

SPIRIT OF JSU....... 84.500.. 84.944

Steve,

I'm not sure how you did your calculations but based on the idea I laid out the results would have been

Blue Devils 97.938

The Cadets 96.719

The Cavaliers 96.188

Phantom Regiment 95.000

Carolina Crown 94.188

Bluecoats 94.125

Santa Clara Vanguard 94.094

Blue Knights 90.219

Boston Crusaders 89.313

Colts 86.063

Glassmen 86.000

Spirit from JSU 84.813

I took the sum of all nine captions and divided by 1.8 (there were 9 judges with 20 points a piece). Unless you counted the percussion caption as one judge, therefore divide by 1.6. That would make the difference. When I did that the numbers matched.

Edited by sburstall