Did They March?

In my corps (not a junior corps), we are more inclusive. We give out member patches to folks deemed worthy. Basically, if you march Nationals, you are a member. Any of the injury cases mentioned above would be considered a member for the year.

If someone bails on the corps, even if they marched a show - nope. But I would not be surprised if a person like that says to a non member that they marched in the corps.

IMHO, not a black and white situation. There has to be flexibility.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as camps go, in my mind the whole deal starts at all days. That part, I'll admit, could be me though, but if you didn't go to any camps and came in during all days, you're still good.

In 2003, I filled a hole starting right at the beginning of pre-tour. I moved in at the same time as everyone else, but I didn't attend a single camp. I don't ever feel the need to tell people that unless they ask specifically.

now is this before or after we Go through there bus box and luggage, trying to find new rehearsal clothes. Calling them at all times of the night, leaving very detailed messages with and array of words, and helpful gestures that should try for a different corps the next year.

Before this happens, sure, because this means that the person hasnt actually quit.

After, good luck with trying to get your stuff off the bus, or showing your face around. Corps kids dont take to kindly of being backed out on, unless like it has been said before it was an emergency.

I have heard many stories of kids leaving there stuff, and just taking off. I been in a corps where a kid who claimed to be in to "it" didnt show to our first show. And trust me the hole way there kids were on the phone letting him know how wrong he was. I woken up had breakfast, went to visual, and noticed that we were missing, a bass drummer. At lunch kids boasted about the stuff they got.

So its not a matter of them wanting to return. Its a matter of whats going to happen if they are allowed.

When I marched in PC we would have rookies ask us and the staff when they would know whether or not they made it in the corps. Our answer was, "When you put your horn down at the last show, if you have a uniform on -you'll know you made the corps that year." We also didn't use the term "quit". We called people who left "self-cuts" or "auto-cuts" - having cut themselves from the corps and sparing staff the trouble.

And it was followed by a visual on how they cut themselves. :P

You think all of this stuff is bad? There's a Division II caption head posting in the DII forum, that puts that he was a member of the London Symphony in 2001. He later clarified that he just augmented their brass section for two weeks. It's common for them to hire local community college kids to fill out some of the larger works when they visit Florida every other year. He admitted that this was actually the case for him, yet still lists London Symphony 2001 on his DCP signature. That's like someone attending the Cadets experience camp, then saying they marched Cadets! Again....LONDON FREAKING SYMPHONY!!!!!!

You think all of this stuff is bad? There's a Division II caption head posting in the DII forum, that puts that he was a member of the London Symphony in 2001. He later clarified that he just augmented their brass section for two weeks. It's common for them to hire local community college kids to fill out some of the larger works when they visit Florida every other year. He admitted that this was actually the case for him, yet still lists London Symphony 2001 on his DCP signature. That's like someone attending the Cadets experience camp, then saying they marched Cadets! Again....LONDON FREAKING SYMPHONY!!!!!!

. . . and off-topic to boot.

Quitting, oh HELL no. Being injured, I definitely think so. If you push your body to its limit for this activity, you marched. I know about five people who have marched and been injured from doing it, and then went through months and months of physical therapy because of it. If you have to go through that after an injury from this activity, I think you deserve the title of being a member.

If you flat out quit and just didn't feel like finishing a season, who the hell would say that person deserves the same title of a member that put in the blood, sweat, and tears (sorry for the cliche) all the way up to Finals, whether they were on the field or sitting in physical therapy because doctors forced them OFF the field?

I hate quitters. I love people that give it all the can until their breaking point. There's a difference between the two, and it comes from an extreme amount of passion, or a total lack.

I'm sure I'll have some people who disagree, but some of the best members I have ever marched with (Scotti Smith, Will Wells, Jason Schickel) were worked to their breaking point and had to be pulled off the field. Personally, (forgive my need for reiteration) these peoples are members.

If you never marched in uniform in a show, then no, you did not march the corps. You need to at least put on the uniform, and do at least one show.

This is a little off topic, but do you think that alternates who do basics all summer long, stand in horn arc or any non-ensemble rehearsal situation all summer long, stay out in the heat all summer long, but never get the chance to put on the uniform and march a show are not members? I think they are.

Just sayin'. I know that was in response to the topic at hand, I'm just being difficult. Sorry. :rock: