Drum Corps Getting Louder?

Pit's are louder but that's about it.

It's nice to hear the pit these days, some are too loud imo.

G bugles might be eaiser to play louder on but that's not it. Hornlines just played a lot harder 15+ yrs ago.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - three myths at once!

I'll throw in a fourth - DCI hornlines are immune to destructive interference.

Seriously - people buy into the "in tune = louder" way too much. When a horn line learns to play in tune and in phase, then I will be impressed. :P

There are two main reasons why DC switched from G's to Bb's. One was to make the transition easier for band kids who they were recruiting in droves,
Which is pure hogwash. If band kids can play multipled-key instruments transiting from G to whatever key is nothing.
and the other is that they had a higher resale value due to demand. Musical potential and volume of the instrument had little to do with it. JMO.

I would agree that there is a greater resale value for the multi-keys than Gs. Again it's a money issue. But if resaling does occure I have yet to hear a high school marching band make an announcement that they are using the same brass instruments as BD, PR or whatever corps.

But if resaling does occure . . .

Have you checked any corps websites in the month or two after finals in the past 3 years? The majority of Div I corps sell their brass every couple years (if not more often).

I've been listening for decades, and I don't hear in general an appreciable difference in volume with Bb or G. What has changed is style. Corps recently have taken a more nuanced approach that relies on many more options than just volume for effect.

So while over the course of a 10-11 minute show the aggregate volume might be lower, the peak volume is comparable irrespective of instrumentation.

HH

Edited by glory

Have you checked any corps websites in the month or two after finals in the past 3 years? The majority of Div I corps sell their brass every couple years (if not more often).

What I mean by resaling is that other organizations purchase the horns. I know the corps sell the horns back...and they make a big thing about it.

You should listen to some old Fleetwood recordings. The crowd in 50s and 60s were loud compared to today's fans.

Most of you weren’t even alive to hear or play a real G bugle. I'm talking about the two valve Olds Ultra Tone bugle, or even the valve rotor bugle. All (good) corps played the Ultra Tone. It was a well made heavy horn that really allowed great air flow. Intonation was very acceptable. A good horn line could fill the field end to end and peel the crowds face off. Great effect. Goose bump loud!!! Hair on the back of your neck loud!!!!

As far as the crowds,,, well that's a whole different thing, The crowds overall enjoyed/understood the show back then. You all have to remember that a large portion of a crowd is not drum corps savvy now, they don’t know or understand that you are playing extremely difficult music at 140 or 150. And I don’t want to get into a debate on how savvy they are, my point is that maybe the shows are mind blowing fast and complex. I know people young and old that will go to a show and tell me that the felt a little numb after. Almost too much,,