Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

You didn't see the Anaheim Kingsmen rifle line's performance at the Rose Bowl and the effect they had on the crowd, I take it?

:rock:

Greg, let's face it. There are no guards like that anymore. The Kingsmen have an actual rifle line where the rifle is the center of the focus. Guards today are completely different with the body and movement as the center of focus. Rifles are not spun anymore, the tempo's are just too fast for basic spins and double time.

While I do not agree with the OP reasoning, he may have a point on another basis. One of the things I have noticed over the last 10 or so years, is with so much emphasis on the body, movement, and costumes is that rifle work is starting to get lost.

I cannot tell you how many guards I saw this year where some really interesting rifle work got lost behind the consistant movement of the body, or because it was being done as if the goal posts where the crowd. Sometimes the rifle just seemed out of place amoung the pretty femanine(spl) costumes, or it just didn't fit in with the thematic costume at all.

Let's face it, many of the traditions of the colorguard have already been sacrificed. There are no rifle lines to speak of, there is no real spinning to speak of. All of the things that made the rifle central to the guard are all gone.

While I wish that designers would make the rifle itself more the center piece of the rifle line, I have no confidence it will ever happen. Its too "old school". :rock:

From a "political correctness" viewpoint, I think what drum corps has done with rifles is pretty cool. It follows up on the "we shall beat our swords into plowshares" admonition by taking something that represented militarism and turning it into something that is art. Imagine if the entire world could do that with all devices of death and destruction. (A Abrams Tank petunia planter, anyone?)

Therefore, drum corps, in using rifles for art, is ahead of the pacifist curve!

And how do rifles, as objects or symbols, fit into the theme of a show? As marching arts fans, we don't give this a second thought...but to outsiders it is strange to see men in business suits spin and toss rifles in shows like "And So It Goes".

Edited by Officer_Jenny

Dancing with a rifle in a chiffon dress makes no sense. Marching with a rifle in a military uniform makes perfect sense. Pick one or the other and run with it. You can't have it both ways. It's a case of drum corps wanting to be progressive and "arty" yet still be a "corps." The end product just becomes a bizarre mix that doesn't make sense.

So where does that leave the Cavies? Not chiffon dresses, not military uniforms...

And I think you can have it both ways. As long as it is done well, who cares what they are wearing? Actually, what I miss the most is more of the precision involved in the older guard lines, particularly the rifle lines. When I do see rifles today, I see very few of the groups doing routine spins, double times, things that used to be impressive and that show a talent for being "clean" guards. The nature of the rifle work these days looks sort of sloppy, even in a good ensemble. I think there used to be a time when the rifle lines are what added a big "wow" factor to the overall ensemble. Scouts doing Malaguena, Cavliers, Kingsmen, 27 all come to mind.

See below...

I agree. daniel and I discussed this via PM. If you're gonna do it, do it right, and really impress me with it! Even at the expense, dare I say, of traditional marching, if the corps "moves" together, and it TRULY fits the music and the "theme," then WOW me! Don't just move b/c you have a twitch b/c your horn weighs too much or there's a fly in your nostril or you have two seconds of still to fill. Ugh.

Personally, I'd like to see VK come out and do a horse race like I mentioned somewhere, but spinning straight up 2x4's--maybe even cut them right there on the sideline. Electronics run on electricity--run an extension cord and grab the table saw! Opportunity for major Craftsman corporate sponsorship!

The Green Goblins (have to get OK from DC comics), Scottish Mocha (if PR would use khaki tops and plaid bottoms as suggested earlier, Santa Clara Vagabonds :rock: , Boston Tea Party (maybe get sponsorship from Lipton?), Oregon Tree Huggers (major sponsorship opportunity with LOTS of environmental groups), Amigos ('Cross' in Crossmen has to go in order to not offend all in the anti-religion, Jesus sucks, crowd--Amigos fits San Antonio culture), The Beatles ('The DC Formerly Known as the Cadets' just doesn't fit as well, and this alludes to their use of electronics, etc--might have some copyright issues, though), Blue Light Special, although it may be a race to use it!

You know, on second thought, all of the modern naming options suck. I'll take a militaristic history seeing as how we have classical music, jazz, pop, Broadway and not Sousa marches.

Should have been "Million Man Move." (using Octavia's quote from above!)

:wub::rock::wub: Raised this by one full star with just that simple post, IMO!

Hilarious

although Green Goblin is Marvel, not DC