Drum Corps Family

Thanks for the quick response. So, were your brothers with them prior to 1967? Were you in the guard?

Have your brothers remained in touch with any of the folks they marched with?

Bob

Nope, I was a French horn player for those brief few weeks before the Raiders folded. I stayed on French horn for my time with the Sacred Heart Crusaders and then the Sunrisers...... except for one very forgettable year on mellophone with the Crusaders. Nothing against mellophones, but I just didn't like playing one. Maybe it's because I SUCKED at playing one.....LOL!!

My brothers and I still see Mike Marsh (Raiders drumline, later with Sacred Heart Crusaders and then the Skyliners) from time to time, either at a drum corps show or elsewhere.

I'm not sure if my brothers were with the Raiders prior to the 1967 season. I'll have to ask them!!!

George "Oscar" Setzer also posts here on DCP.... he was a Raider as well, plus Crusaders, Sunrisers and Buccaneers. (Sorry if I missed a corps or two, George!!!!)

Fran

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oldest sister started in Winter Guard in the early 1960s, marching with the Sirenettes from Old Bridge, NJ and the Melodears from Perth Amboy, NJ.

Watching her compete in color guard exposed my family to both color guard and drum corps.

My two younger sisters and I marched with the Emerald Lancers, from Old Bridge NJ and the Little Dukes, Perth Amboy NJ.

I also drummed for the Sirenettes color guard at the American Legion Nationals in 1966 and for the Sayreville Colleens in 1967. As Fran Haring, I briefly joined the Raiders of 88 weeks before they broke up and I remember Bob Love was drum instructor. I joined St. Lucy's in 1968 and then Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971-1975. I marched with Cabs Alumni from 1995-2004.

My brother in law marched with the Spotswood Lakesiders, the Flames of East Brunswick, NJ ( who later became the Raiders of 88) and St. Lucy's. Ed was recruited for St. Lucy's, with several other Flames, by the late Bobby Hamilton. It was my brother in law who finally convinced my parents to let me go to St. Lucy's.

My oldest sister started in Winter Guard in the early 1960s, marching with the Sirenettes from Old Bridge, NJ and the Melodears from Perth Amboy, NJ.

Watching her compete in color guard exposed my family to both color guard and drum corps.

My two younger sisters and I marched with the Emerald Lancers, from Old Bridge NJ and the Little Dukes, Perth Amboy NJ.

I also drummed for the Sirenettes color guard at the American Legion Nationals in 1966 and for the Sayreville Colleens in 1967. As Fran Haring, I briefly joined the Raiders of 88 weeks before they broke up and I remember Bob Love was drum instructor. I joined St. Lucy's in 1968 and then Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971-1975. I marched with Cabs Alumni from 1995-2004.

My brother in law marched with the Spotswood Lakesiders, the Flames of East Brunswick, NJ ( who later became the Raiders of 88) and St. Lucy's. Ed was recruited for St. Lucy's, with several other Flames, by the late Bobby Hamilton. It was my brother in law who finally convinced my parents to let me go to St. Lucy's.

Hello Steve,

I read your reply this morning and thought I was reading something I wrote! Our paths are very similar. My sister was in the Colleens in the early 60's, before joining the Flames. I was the drum instructor at the Flames before the Legion Post 88 assumed sponsorship. I played drums for the Colleens at their winter contests and I remember going to the nationals with them in 1961 in Miami.

I too marched with the Lakesiders, playing in the snare line. I was well below the age limit for a Sr. corps then (around 1960 to 1962.) But, when I joined, they were only a parade corps and I played pretty good and so I was in. They eventually tried being an m&m corps and we played a few shows and competed in the NJ State Legion event in Wildwood. It wasn't pretty!

I am wondering who your brother in law is. I have a feeling I am going to be surprised when I find out. Our family was very good friends with the late Frank Kubinak. He pretty much was at our house every Sunday morning for coffee and danish to talk drum corps and guard. He, of course, taught the Melodeares and was our m&m instructor at BS.

Before going to BS I marched with the Jersey Cyclones of Keyport and I even tried to join the Amboy Dukes, but they were serious about the age matter. I was only around 18 at that time. That's when I decided it was time to go to BS, which was my dream corps since hearing my first Fleetwood record back in 1959 or so! ( I knew Wes Myers pretty well and he was still playing with them before they merged with Ballantine. He eventually went to the Skyliners, where I started to go after leaving BS.) But, I hesitated and then ended up in the military. That was pretty much the end of my drum corps days.

You probably know a close friend of mine from the Cabs.....Tim Campbell. He and I were at BS together and we caught up with eachother about 6 years ago. Still best of friends.

I gather you are still living back East? I am in Los Angeles and have been in CA since 1974.

I look forward to learning who your brother in law is. I think you said his name was Ed?

Bob

Hello Steve,

I read your reply this morning and thought I was reading something I wrote! Our paths are very similar. My sister was in the Colleens in the early 60's, before joining the Flames. I was the drum instructor at the Flames before the Legion Post 88 assumed sponsorship. I played drums for the Colleens at their winter contests and I remember going to the nationals with them in 1961 in Miami.

I too marched with the Lakesiders, playing in the snare line. I was well below the age limit for a Sr. corps then (around 1960 to 1962.) But, when I joined, they were only a parade corps and I played pretty good and so I was in. They eventually tried being an m&m corps and we played a few shows and competed in the NJ State Legion event in Wildwood. It wasn't pretty!

I am wondering who your brother in law is. I have a feeling I am going to be surprised when I find out. Our family was very good friends with the late Frank Kubinak. He pretty much was at our house every Sunday morning for coffee and danish to talk drum corps and guard. He, of course, taught the Melodeares and was our m&m instructor at BS.

Before going to BS I marched with the Jersey Cyclones of Keyport and I even tried to join the Amboy Dukes, but they were serious about the age matter. I was only around 18 at that time. That's when I decided it was time to go to BS, which was my dream corps since hearing my first Fleetwood record back in 1959 or so! ( I knew Wes Myers pretty well and he was still playing with them before they merged with Ballantine. He eventually went to the Skyliners, where I started to go after leaving BS.) But, I hesitated and then ended up in the military. That was pretty much the end of my drum corps days.

You probably know a close friend of mine from the Cabs.....Tim Campbell. He and I were at BS together and we caught up with eachother about 6 years ago. Still best of friends.

I gather you are still living back East? I am in Los Angeles and have been in CA since 1974.

I look forward to learning who your brother in law is. I think you said his name was Ed?

Bob

Hi Bob:

Small world. My brother in law is Eddie Schneider, whose father was also the Director of the Lakesiders at one point.

Eddie joined the Flames and then was recruited by Bobby Hamilton with Joe Niglio, Paul Pipero, Chuck Dohn, and Paul Icker,all going to Lucy's after the 1964 season. Eddie marched with Lucy's until 1969. My sister said she knew you and your sister from high school as well. Pat Williams?

Did you know Joe Eglow and Gary Thomasetti? Both were with the Cyclones. Joe was a tenor drummer and marched in Lakesiders and Cyclones and then with the Caballeros. Both passed away within the last year as well as Joe Niglio.

Yes, I still live in Central Jersey. I met Tim Campbell when I was with the Cabs Alumni. Frank Kubinak was a drill instructor with Cabs when I marched with them in the 70s. Walter Kelly was my first drum instructor.

Edited by cabalumsw

Eddie joined the Flames and then was recruited by Bobby Hamilton with Joe Niglio, Paul Pipero, Chuck Dohn, and Paul Icker,all going to Lucy's after the 1964 season.

FYI - Chuck Dohn now lives in my town of Fairfield, CT and plays on and off with the Park City Pride ... I think he had knee replacement surgery recently, which has put him on the sideline again ... I usually run into him at the Barnum or, see him tooling around town on his motorcycle ... yup ... small world indeed ... there's also a bass drummer (can't remember his name) from Lucy's that lives around the corner from me ... married a girl from the CT Royal Lancers ... Hardware and Hamilton used to come up to his house for a cookout every year and stop over my house ... fun times ...

Andy

Nope, I was a French horn player for those brief few weeks before the Raiders folded. I stayed on French horn for my time with the Sacred Heart Crusaders and then the Sunrisers...... except for one very forgettable year on mellophone with the Crusaders. Nothing against mellophones, but I just didn't like playing one. Maybe it's because I SUCKED at playing one.....LOL!!

My brothers and I still see Mike Marsh (Raiders drumline, later with Sacred Heart Crusaders and then the Skyliners) from time to time, either at a drum corps show or elsewhere.

I'm not sure if my brothers were with the Raiders prior to the 1967 season. I'll have to ask them!!!

George "Oscar" Setzer also posts here on DCP.... he was a Raider as well, plus Crusaders, Sunrisers and Buccaneers. (Sorry if I missed a corps or two, George!!!!)

Fran

Hello Fran,

Wow, Mike Marsh!

Great guy. I remember him and guys like Mike Wish from Manville. Wish always wanted to go to BS, which he eventually did. Last time I saw him was at a show in Elizabeth in 1975 or 76. He was the emcee, believe it or not. I last saw Mike Marsh at DCA in 1990.

And, I'm very glad to hear Barbara is progressing. Please give her my best, and you hang in there too.

FYI - Chuck Dohn now lives in my town of Fairfield, CT and plays on and off with the Park City Pride ... I think he had knee replacement surgery recently, which has put him on the sideline again ... I usually run into him at the Barnum or, see him tooling around town on his motorcycle ... yup ... small world indeed ... there's also a bass drummer (can't remember his name) from Lucy's that lives around the corner from me ... married a girl from the CT Royal Lancers ... Hardware and Hamilton used to come up to his house for a cookout every year and stop over my house ... fun times ...

Andy

Andy: Could that be Jim Carter?

Hi Bob:

Small world. My brother in law is Eddie Schneider, whose father was also the Director of the Lakesiders at one point.

Eddie joined the Flames and then was recruited by Bobby Hamilton with Joe Niglio, Paul Pipero, Chuck Dohn, and Paul Icker,all going to Lucy's after the 1964 season. Eddie marched with Lucy's until 1969. My sister said she knew you and your sister from high school as well. Pat Williams?

Did you know Joe Eglow and Gary Thomasetti? Both were with the Cyclones. Joe was a tenor drummer and marched in Lakesiders and Cyclones and then with the Caballeros. Both passed away within the last year as well as Joe Niglio.

Yes, I still live in Central Jersey. I met Tim Campbell when I was with the Cabs Alumni. Frank Kubinak was a drill instructor with Cabs when I marched with them in the 70s. Walter Kelly was my first drum instructor.

It sure is a small world! Is Eddie possibly related to Diane? She was in the Flames guard with my sister. Her Dad was the Lakesiders Drum Major when I played with them.

I knew Joe Eglo very well. The snare line for the Cyclones was Joe, Bob Walsh (was with the Cabs eventually) and me. I knew Joe has passed away and I knew he had been ill. Bob Walsh kept me somewhat informed.

I knew a Thomasetti in hs but don't think it was the same one. He was a music dude like me. But I never connected him with drum corps.

Chuck Dohn was one of my top snare guys in the Raiders. I often wondered what happened to him. So, he's a bike guy too! I had a Harley for awhile. Might get another one before long.It would be fun to touch base with him. I've seen dvd's of Park City and they are a pretty decent corps. I'm glad he kept up his playing.

Harry Ossif (soprano horn) went over to Lucy's the same time that the others did. Do you know him?

I can't place Pat Williams. Did she go to the same school as my sister and I? I can't believe where this entire thing has gone!!

Bob

It sure is a small world! Is Eddie possibly related to Diane? She was in the Flames guard with my sister. Her Dad was the Lakesiders Drum Major when I played with them.

I knew Joe Eglo very well. The snare line for the Cyclones was Joe, Bob Walsh (was with the Cabs eventually) and me. I knew Joe has passed away and I knew he had been ill. Bob Walsh kept me somewhat informed.

I knew a Thomasetti in hs but don't think it was the same one. He was a music dude like me. But I never connected him with drum corps.

Chuck Dohn was one of my top snare guys in the Raiders. I often wondered what happened to him. So, he's a bike guy too! I had a Harley for awhile. Might get another one before long.It would be fun to touch base with him. I've seen dvd's of Park City and they are a pretty decent corps. I'm glad he kept up his playing.

Harry Ossif (soprano horn) went over to Lucy's the same time that the others did. Do you know him?

I can't place Pat Williams. Did she go to the same school as my sister and I? I can't believe where this entire thing has gone!!

Bob

Eddie has no sister. He has a brother, Al, who also marched with Lakesiders. Their father was Andy Schneider.

Gary Thomassetti went to Madison Township HS and did march with Cyclones. He later got involved playing guitar and songing in professional bands. His brother Tony was in Emerald Lancers. Their uncle, Joe Butera, marched with Hawthorne.

I was very close to Joe and several of us were with him the day before he passed away. It was very sad.

My sister, Pat graduated in 1967 from MTHS and I in 1970. She will kill me for saying this but it was her that got hit with a bullwhip by some Boston Crusaders in 1968 that prompted a brawl in Bridgeport,CT.

I knew Harry Ossif as well as Chico Fernandes, Eric Clark, Sammy Donato, Timmy Fogg, Fred Henry and Bill Ternylia.

Chuck Dohn is currently playing quints with St. Lucy's Alumni. I saw him back in May.

Andy: Could that be Jim Carter?

Not sure ... he was a straight bass player ... not a rudi ... have to ask Chuck next time I see him ... Jim Carter doesn't ring a bell ...

Andy