Drum Corps Family

Haven't done DCA...yet, but my brother and I marched together in '82 and '83 Valley Fever. He could have marched another four years after I aged out in '84, but didn't. He would have been a great lead sop.

I think that drum corps (senior or junior) will be a great way for me to stay connected with my kids as they transition into adulthood. It's not the only way, but is certainly the most fun.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm marching with my dad right now, first time I've ever done that :)

My sister never made the transition to corps but we were in high school indoor and outdoor color guard together for 2 years.

I totally credit that experience with helping us to make the transition from the fighting/sibling rivalry we had going on as little kids to the awesome friendship we have now that we're grown up. I would definitely rope her into the Cabs if Baltimore wasn't so far from Hawthorne.

Edited by ohmarie

I have had the privelage to march with a lot of family.........

My Father and Mother in-law marched Spirit in the way early days. My wife, her sister, brother, and brother in law have all marched Spirit. I marched Glassmen. My sister and all of us have marched with CV at some point, so yeah........ we have a drum corps family.

I alternated years in Spirit with my younger brother (he marched '82 & '84, I marched '83 & '85). We didn't plan it that way, it just happened :blink: . We did march together in CorpsVets one year ('99).

Hmmmmm.....A small parade corps from Long Island. Then you joined a "real" drum corps. I guess all the years some of us put into the "small" parade corps meant we never were in a "real" drum corps. Kinda remember the "Flames" as a #### good parade and exhibition corps that was well respected by many people. Maybe I should've let you keep your saxaphone instead of introducing you to what drum corps was all about back then, small local corps that were "feeder" corps for "real" drum corps.

JJ

HI JOHNNY!!!

I too, started in a parade corps The Pequa Redmen (that competed against Frank and Johnny). My father was the director at one time, my two brothers played sop, and my sister was in the guard. By the time I as old enough to join, they all left, college, Marine Corps.....I think my brother Frank came back one year so we marched together.

I was the only one in the family to go on and March DCA - Lets Go Hawthorne. PS- On a sentimental note - I was named Caballero of the Year about 6 weeks prior to my father's death - and it was something he kept saying "How great is that, I'm so proud". He even called a few of his buddy's from the American Legion to tell them.

Edited by Kay

The Martin's from Upstate NY.

Harvey (Dad) 1937- 1976 baritone, instructor and administration (met wife in D.C., 1947)

Shirley (Mom) 1940-1976 D.M., support staff (she made Roch. Phoenix's uniforms)

David (Son) 1955- present too much to list

Garry (Son) 1961- 1977, 2006- present (currently on the Crusader's board of director's)

Tim (Son) 1963- 1977, 2000- present (currently on the Carolina Crown's board of director's)

Scott (Son) 1966- 1980, 2003-2005

So far, a total of 182 years and still going!

Dad with 1955 Rochester Grey Knights

HarveyGreyKnightSmall-1.jpg

The Martin's from Upstate NY.

Harvey (Dad) 1937- 1976 baritone, instructor and administration (met wife in D.C., 1947)

Shirley (Mom) 1940-1976 D.M., support staff (she made Roch. Phoenix's uniforms)

David (Son) 1955- present too much to list

Garry (Son) 1961- 1977, 2006- present (currently on the Crusader's board of director's)

Tim (Son) 1963- 1977, 2000- present (currently on the Carolina Crown's board of director's)

Scott (Son) 1966- 1980, 2003-2005

So far, a total of 182 years and still going!

Dad with 1955 Rochester Grey Knights

HarveyGreyKnightSmall-1.jpg

NICE!

Guess you did your part to seed things, Dave!