Guard sizes

So what are the various sizes guards have been through the years. I keep reading about how guards smaller than 30 may keep a corps out of finals, which is a load of crap, but, let's put our heads together and see how this area of a corps has changed shape and usage over the years.

And I am talking pre-DCI era through present.

I read the topic title and was trying to figure out if someone wanted to know whether guard members were fatter or skinnier over time.

Yeah, I know, I'm a girl. :)

Can someone close this topic, it's obviously mis-understood.

But in case some of us are wondering...

I meant something like....

in 1986 corps X had ____ members

in 1999 corps Z had _____ members

I read the topic title and was trying to figure out if someone wanted to know whether guard members were fatter or skinnier over time.

Yeah, I know, I'm a girl. :)

You know, that was my exact thought too. :blink:

i knew exactly what the OP meant....but I don't have any info to support factually...just that it seems to me that in teh early 90s when i came to drum corps, most guards were around 30ish......seems BD has has closer to 40 the past few years...but that's just my perception and is not based on an hard and fast data.

Going based on my bizzare fascination with counting the members of color guards, the Cadets often fielded between 32-38 members in the 1990's. The Patriots color guard had 48 members in 2003- their last year in DCI and they won the guard caption!

Seems that here in recent years, most tend to have between 32-40 members. I, for one, am hoping that the extra members corps' can have next year will be used in the color guard. How fun it would be to see Phantom Regiment with 50 kids in the guard!! It would be like the old Kentucky color guards - HUGE!

Well I'm one of the ones on the Madison thread that suggested they needed a bigger gaurd so...

In 02 the Scouts had 22(ish ?) in the guard. It was also the year the Cadets had 42 in their guard. Knowing the quality of Cadets guards and therefore all things being equal, if you have 40 flags spinning and doing a good unison on a big hit vs 20 flags, which is going to give the horn music a bigger visual punch?

You certainly have to balance quality with quantity. I'm certainly not suggesting pull 10 guys with no experience off the street.

Think about it this way. With the current trend toward larger horn lines (64-76) how small of a horn line do you think a top 12 corps could field before it would hurt them competitively? 60, 56, 48, 36?

With the new 150 limit it is my opinion that a small guard will hurt you competitively.

OMG....you too?!?!?!?!? I thought I was the ONLY one who did this! :P

LOL, add me to the list too, and your observances are spot on, Guard usually numbered around 30 - 32, Blue Devils, Im pretty sure (not counting 86 Garfield) were the first to up the guard membership around 94/95 ??

~G~