Crown = New Star?

As an alumni from the beginning day of Crown…………….the answer is NO. In the beginning the staff was comprised of old Suncoast Sound guys……never were we the NEW SUNCOAST. Of course they pulled from their experience like today’s staff. But the mantra has always been- do something a little different (example 92), be entertaining and pull the best teaching techniques out there today. In the early 90’s we utilized some Cadets brass techniques as they were the model back then.

I whole heartily believe that Crown will surpass the Star legend with time and shortly they will begin pushing the envelope just like Star and the Cadets to become the next CAROLINA CROWN!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're the new CapitolAires. :laugh:

Think I'll get flamed for that one? :doh:

Edited by DarrenE

Though they have much to prove, and time will tell, I would definitely say that Academy has much more of a shot than Crown at earning the title of the next Star.

I would say a major component of waht made Star, well, Star was their meterotic rise to prominence, and their exceptional performance ability. Crown's rise has been anything but speedy, and they haven't really put forth the kind of show that really screams contender. At present, everyone is still surprised when they do well...they have yet to reach the level where people expect them to do well (with the soul exception of the hornline - those guys can flat-out play).

I think they need to concentrate on being a DCI finalist first. CC is 12 up on them in this catagory.

Crown now can hang with the big boys in ANY caption. Remember that this rise to prominence has been since 2003-the "new Crown" (before the cream period and the almost total staff and focus overhall that came with it, CC was a perennial bottom-tier finalist) This is also an era where the top 8 corps are a higher level then ever before.

Ask any Star alum..They never had the talent that soem of their competitors enjoyed. The hard work of the members and the excellence of the shows and the program made the difference. As someone who knows the ins and outs of both corps, I can tell you the situation at Crown today is VERY much like Star in the glory days.

Jesus H Christ!!! Some of you are getting WAY to worked up about this topic. It was meant as nothing more than a compliment

Crown is the new Crown...

the Triple Crown of Dead Horse Beatdowns...

Crown will nevber be Star, that's an insult...

Puh-leeze people!

Yes, Crown is there own corps with their own Identity, and yes if you look hard enough you can find influences from every corps in just about every corps. but you are missing my point. There are striking similarities in the two corps, aside from the milkman uniforms. I am not saying note for note, not saying they are exactly the same, but there are similarities.

There is no need to get nasty about it...

I love you guys, but you're killing me.

Its just DCP, the loudest croaking chicken feels they are the king of the roost..laugh at them.

I happen to agree with you and didnt see this thread earlier, now obviously for those that need to clarify, or put us in our place, of course Crown is Crown, with their own identity, legacy and future, but I feel the similarities in type of prgramming, areas of brass and visual, Crown is indeed like the Star of Indiana, and I feel that since it didnt happen this year, watch out, They may very well indeed crak the top four or even three, in shocking fashion like Star did in 1990, as soon as next year ! Yes, It took Star a year of nipping at the big boys heels in 1989, but the activity is different now and with all the cries for "parity" nobody needs to wait for it if they have the goods.

I feel Crown will indeed be the next new champion as I sad back in the RAMD days, and still believe here.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

well...what makes Crown "Crown"

and...what made Star "Star"?

Are those two things the same?

If anything, I thought Crown was similar to the Cadets when they broke into finals in the early 90s and thought it fitting that they joined YEA!.

The Star of Indiana has a cult like following even though they only performed 8 shows...and they took a 180 almost every year when it comes to show design...which was picked with impeccable taste (YES...even including the circus show).

I think Crown is incredible corps and a very special organization...but there was something about Star...something that I cant put my finger on...that I dont think can ever be duplicated...

Crown is it's own thing....and deservedly so. As a Star alum with no "home-team" to cheer for, I readily admit that it is very easy for me to adopt Crown as my surrogate favorite corps. Even as a percussionist, I have been spoiled by that brass sound, and I can't deny that this is the only group that I hear it from. This is in no small part that there are, indeed, many similarities between the two...and they have already been detailed in this thread. Crown is at a point very similar to where Star was around '89....knocking on the door, but not quite yet in the hunt. I sincerely hope that they will not be subject to the ridicule that Star endured once they were recognized as competitor for the championship. It was then ('90 to be specific), that Star's "novelty" began to be perceived as "threat", and was ridiculed accordingly until Star ceased to compete. A "trademark" of sorts, for Star, was quality combined with the "lack" of tradition vs. what was the MO of most other groups. Of note....the idea that Star "bought" success is beyond ridiculous. Since it was actually one of, if not the least expensive corps that you could choose to be a member of, it always came down to the bottom line of who worked the hardest, who received the best instruction, and who was most efficient......just like ANY other corps. The members of Star still had to do the work, just like every other corps out there. Also, as noted, Star took decent players and made them into incredible ensemble players, whereas many other groups "took really good players and made them play pretty good" (One of my all-time FAVORITE quotes from Brent Montgomery). Crown is it's own thing, no doubt "identifiable" by Star alums, but as one, I would like nothing more than to see them take things further than we did, and by doing so, make it their own. It is undeniable that they have more Star influence than any other corps on the field today......but make no mistake....it is not Star of Indiana, nor should it be.

OK...I kind of got lost at one point.

Is Coke the New Coke?

No, Coke Zero.

hahahaha.

No, Coke Zero.

isn't Coke Zero the same thing as Diet Coke? just with out the diet?