John Cage and drum corps

Meow, Meow

just kidding :P - I saw that you posted that somewhere else and thought it was pretty funny

I liked the first video better than the second

Who do think would try something like this first???

Well, it wouldn't stand up for an entire show, but perhaps a drum solo. Something like his "Third Construction" has me wondering. Now that we have amplification, the sound of the conch shell could sail over the field. The same corps that might try that would also be the same corps to think about Steve Reich's "Drumming."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it wouldn't stand up for an entire show, but perhaps a drum solo. Something like his "Third Construction" has me wondering. Now that we have amplification, the sound of the conch shell could sail over the field. The same corps that might try that would also be the same corps to think about Steve Reich's "Drumming."

No man, I want a solid 11.5 minutes of John Cage, I will ask for no less. If you'd like, you can add Tehilim or Drumming by Steve Reich if you'd like as well. I'd prefer Tehilim (vocalists)

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I have long thought that the Cage constructions could make an amazing drum solo. The rhythmic ideas going on in there would blow peoples minds. On the same note I think Lou Harrison has several pieces that could be very interesting as well.

I do think at this point we might be more likely to see an adventurous indoor line take on this music than a drum corps, but with the right wind music selections around it I think it could be great.

Edited by trwiggin

No man, I want a solid 11.5 minutes of John Cage, I will ask for no less. If you'd like, you can add Tehilim or Drumming by Steve Reich if you'd like as well. I'd prefer Tehilim (vocalists)

"Tehillim" is a remarkable piece. I took it with me to China. Personally, I prefer the chamber orchestra rendition over the full orchestra version that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra premiered a few years after the original came out. However, when you take away the vocals and substitute brass, the melodic content would be too restrictive for the field.

"Tehillim" is a remarkable piece. I took it with me to China. Personally, I prefer the chamber orchestra rendition over the full orchestra version that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra premiered a few years after the original came out. However, when you take away the vocals and substitute brass, the melodic content would be too restrictive for the field.

That's why you don't take the vocals away Mike :P

And yeah, it seems like anything Reich does for large ensemble is...well...not good. There used to be a full string orchestra version of Different Trains, I don't think it's published anymore though. I never like it when chamber ensemble works are re-arranged for large ensemble, it just seems to destroy the full intent of the piece (ie: Shostakovich's Chamber Symphony)

Man, is there anyone you don't know Mike? Minor Pen pals or not.. thats so awesome.