What changes would you make to improve drum corps?

I’d like to see more circuits, more regional shows, where you get to see the same corps over the course of the year and watch them develop. Touring is getting really expensive, maybe its time to go back to the old model of regional shows then tour into finals.

Thought I should read through the posts before I went on with this same suggestion. Good thing I checked!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No; imagine flubbing something hard, and something easy. Flubbing the hard stuff loses fewer points than the easy. Nothing about design. Judge recognizes the attempt was difficult material or not, and scores accordingly.

Then the use of words had me confused.

"Change scoring to judge performance rather than design in every caption."

"Consider difficulty in scoring for all captions."

Seems to me if you remove all aspects of design from assigning a performance score, you can't factor in difficulty at all. "Rather than" implies to me one in place of the other. It wouldn't matter if the move or lick was difficult or not. If it was flubbed, it was flubbed. Doesn't seem to leave any room for assigning degrees of error as it relates to the "what." But then in the next sentence he's advocating taking design/demand/difficulty into account for all captions. Or would that be all captions except performance captions? Confused...

oh, and I would also bring back full retreat for major regionals held on a saturday night, and have the DCI finals retreat include corps playing themselves off and sluting the champion as they pass.

I am all for the return of full retreat and playing off the field. Not sure about "slutting" the champion though. It might bring about certain age restrictions for drum corps. It could cause a real fiasco for Madison if Cavies win. :ph34r:

Redo the GE Captions: Music - 10pts, Visual - 10pts, Entertainment - 20pts.

I am all for the return of full retreat and playing off the field. Not sure about "slutting" the champion though. It might bring about certain age restrictions for drum corps. It could cause a real fiasco for Madison if Cavies win. :wub:

Redo the GE Captions: Music - 10pts, Visual - 10pts, Entertainment - 20pts.

Wanna make drum corps popular?

Slutting is the magic word!

Organization of the Div 1 and Div 2 corps into three regionally based "divisions" as in baseball and football, with increased emphasis early season on division play. This would increase regional rivalries, reduce the amount of total travel time (since the first five weeks or so would be focused on travel within a 1,000-1,800 mile range), reduce fuel costs (which will kill the activity, if we're not proactive in reducing travel mileage) and most likely, increase the amount of rehearsal time available. Make DCI West, DCI East, and DCI Midwest the championship for each division, placing all three winners into a top three seeding 'tie' going into quarterfinals, with appearance at quarters determined by random draw.

Double up the judging panel for Finals, so that EVERY caption needs to be divided by the number of judges in order to come up with a number. Reduce the likelihood of one judge coming up with wacky results that skew the season.

Clarify the scoring sheets so that everyone knows where and how amplified vocals are judged. If corps want to use them, well, whatever, but at least be clear as to which judge(s) are responsible for scoring them.

Take Div 3 drum corps and turn it into winter/spring indoor 'minicorps' league. The corps can design and implement more effective shows in indoor arena settings than on an outdoor football field. Allow electronic instrumentation in this division only - those who believe it can be an important part of drum corps will have an outlet and the corps who could most benefit from it would be the only corps allowed to use it. Have the Div 3 championship about the same time as WGI and some of those kids would still be free to march summer with a Div 2 or 1 corps, if they choose. Some of the more effective 'indoor corps' orgs and leaders would, no doubt, eventually be folks who have the know how and the dedication to either shift their little corps up to summer corps or to create new summer corps. If anyone wants to know how to 'build' new corps, this is the best way how, imho. Give those who have the interest in forming corps an inexpensive, community-based option to full summer shows.

• 1 month later...

Double panels for regionals and finals to lessen the impact of a single judge on the outcome. WGI does this.

Shorten shows to 10 minute maximum.

Full corps retreats at shows to give more value to paying customers.

Add entertainment value to sheets (like DCA). Not sure how or if this would work, but it is worth exploring.

Legalize electronic instruments

Legalize mic'ing of brass

Legalize lighting.

I am not trying to start a fight with those last three - to me they would enhance our activity. To some of you, they would not. Please try to let it go (in the context of this thread).