Expsoure on ESPN2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so uh I was just wondering if anyone thought it was unfair that the Colts weren't going to be featured. Didn't mean to start a war about who is/isn't supportive of DCI.

I go to shows. I buy the DVDs. I'll watch on September 5 regardless of who does or does not get air time. I was just stating an opinion. Not really complaining or attacking DCI or ESPN.

Take me with a grain of salt?

Well I for one am happy to be getting this.... Past couple of years the PBS station before ESPN took it over have stopped broadcasting the finals in any way,shape or form.... I'll be in front of the tube with VCR remote in hand....

Welcome to life. It doesn't get any easier from here on out.

What's unreasonable? That they have to cover the cost for something like 13 cameras, a crane, the same TV production truck that does the olympics and world series, a large production crew and a limited niche audience to buy the DVD's? I think the DVDs are a steal for what they give you. Full shows, multiple camera angles, 5.1 sound, commnetaries, liner notes, etc....I'd say they pack plenty onto the DVDs. Oh, and who do you think benefits from the sales of the DVDs? Oh yeah, right...the corps like your future corps The Cadets. We'll see how much you whine next year when you're on the other side of the fence.

To me it's unreasonable, to you it's a completely fair price, what's so hard about understanding that? I don't know why you're trying to debate an opinion--something that cannot be proven. That's like debating if $800 for a sleek new Prada bag is reasonable! To each his own. (Basically, I'm agreeing to disagree with you on this one)

I'm sure this has probably been answered higher up in the thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating the info, but in the late-70s at least, DCI Finals were carried LIVE on many, if not most PBS stations, as they were happening, from beginning to end, all 12 corps and retreat.

I remember in 1979, while we were getting dressed and ready to go to Legion Field in Birmingham to perform, someone rolled a TV into the gym at the housing site and we watched the first couple of corps' shows on TV before heading to stadium. Talk about a great way to get hyped up!

After last year's incredible TV audience, you would think ESPN would put more money into the program because they'll ge it back via advertising dollars. Hopefully 1 million people will tune in to the show, drum corps would really benefit from a million viewers. DCI has been on TV in many different formats while funded by PBS, but fans didn't pay the local affiliates very well (so says my local PBS broadcater) and federal funds dried up.

For DCI to be on ESPN is a dream. Luckily I receive HD ESPN2 with an HD DVR. I'll probably save it for months and even copy it to DVD. I'll also buy some individual corps tour videos to support what they're doing. I plan on buying SCV, Phantom, Bluecoats and Crown. I feel like rewarding these corps as my way of saying thanks for the great show. Somehow I'll figure out how to get all the shows with the various angles on one DVD.

I'm do not preference the MTVized drum corps compared to straight ahead performances, but it is much better than nothing. I think the next step is having all performances available via HQ downloads burnable to DVD or on demand pay per view.

For a person who is trying to save about $2,500 and deposits every cent she finds into a bank account in hopes of someday paying for a corps, yes, $129 is a lot of money. $129 is about 19 hours of work for me, and $129 that I could put towards marching some summer.

What's more important: Marching or watching? If you don't make Cadets, make sure you march somewhere.

What's more important: Marching or watching? If you don't make Cadets, make sure you march somewhere.

Yeah, no matter what I will be marching somewhere next year. If I make a D-I corps however, especially one that's lower tier, I will stay there until I age-out (unless flight costs or other financials are an issue), since I think that commitment is very important, and I think it's classy to stay with the corps you began with (again, unless financials don't permit) until you age-out. I'm not judging the people who do this/have done this, but it's just my personal opinion, and I could see why someone would change corps, but it's just not for me

EDIT: redability and clarity

Edited by Whoa_Mellophone_2012

DCI will NEVER satisfy everyone. If they showed all 12 in placement order...you'd have dozens who still would want to see the 13-17 corps and in performance order. We'll always have complainers. Then they'd show 13-17 and you'll have a bunch that will say 18-23 deserve full coverage. It never ends.

We could also say that no criticism, no matter how it's worded, won't put off some people, and anything short of blind adoration is considered "whining."

Again, if you want to see live shows in full - you can go to a show and sit in the stands, or watch on a live internet feed 9 times, or watch 17 corps and expert comentary in an air conditioned movie theater, or you can buy the DVDs with multiple audio tracks, commentaries, mutiple camera angles and 5. surround sound. Seems like DCI is trying to jip us here somehow or keep us from seeing a show or two?

The point isn't that we can't see any live shows in full. This is specifically about Finals. Short of buying a ticket, that is the only way to experience it live. (Unless you're actually in it.) Hasn't always been the case. Doesn't mean we'll ever be able to go back to it, but it also doesn't mean we can't have our favorite, either.

I love how everyone is a marketing expert or TV executive and knows all the right ways to air this activity that really needs to be seen live to appreciate anyway.

Give us a break. You've played the "expert" throughout this thread (and others on this subject), throwing out opinions on everything from the value added content of the DVD's, marketing, production costs, truck packages, etc. Someone throws out a disseting argument, and the best you can do is belittle?

Oh, the show is FREE by the way. So don't start whining about being the customer here and DCI rips us off, and DCI doesn't care, etc. This isn't our (fans) show. We had our opportunities (see list above).

Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on it. I still appreciate it and look forward to watching it, every year.

This is for the kids sitting in band rooms across the country who will play this thing over and over a million times. Some will go to a show next year. Some will watch on the internet. Some will audtion and march in a corps. Nothing wrong with that.

When has it not been about that? "The kids" could still watch it on PBS (or any other channel) . I'd wager that, were it live, they'd like it even more. When I was in high school, I watched it live and recorded it to VCR-- and yes, I was still able to watch it "a million times."

Answer this simple question for me: logistics and monetary concerns aside, do you actually prefer that it's taped and shown at a later date? That's the crux of what I'm getting at--not that DCI owes us, that we're being ripped off, etc., etc., etc. If it is what it is, then so be it. But I'll be ###### if I just sit by while you lump anyone who says they liked it better live into being nothing but a bunch of "whiners."