Expsoure on ESPN2

Now, I know the footage and discussion which takes place on ESPN2 is not up to par for those who are actually IN the activity.

I want to bring up another point of discussion though. All top 12 are shown, but only the top ten are really "featured", if you can even call it featured. Meanwhile the 11th and 12th place corps are only give 45 second slots which show small clips of their show. That is...the 11th and 12th place corps from semifinals.

I was surprised to find out that the corps are going to be shown in performance order, rather than by placement. This means that the Colts are not going to be featured as the 10th place corps, even though they earned 10th place on finals night. Instead, it will be Glassmen, who managed to beat the Colts in semis, and therefore went on in the 10th place slot at finals.

Am I the only one who thinks it is unfair that it is set up this way? I mean if I could control it, then all corps would be broadcasted with their entire shows. While that might not be possible, I think at the very least the actual top ten should get the footage they deserve. Especially the Colts, who were the first new corps in finals since 2005 and havn't made it themselves since 2001. Forget the fact that it was difficult enough for them to break in with all the stiff competition this year, but their rise to 10th place was very admirable. I'm sure all those kids wish they were being broadcast in the 10th spot like they deserve.

I'm really not trying to bag on ESPN2 or DCI, because I think the exposure is great. Just wanted to see if there were others who shared this view.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

The other night I was watching arm wrestling one espn2 yes ARM WRESTLING

and it got better coverage than I've ever seen DCI get on that channel.

and as for order goes, it should be based on placement.There is no reason why the colts should get that little of air time.

Edited by PercussiveEric

It only used to be top 6 that got featured when it was on PBS... so this is a bonus compared to that.

I just think it's great DCI's even on ESPN 2. At least it's something people are more likely to trip across.

It only used to be top 6 that got featured when it was on PBS...
Top five at one point. There is really little to complain about here.

I recall years of top 12 live on PBS, was that a dream?

anyway, no - it's not fair

I think its even less fair that its on cable as I only do free TV and I won't see any of it

but that's fine, life is filled with disappointment and is often life is unfair

Do you think it would be worth the investment to maybe make the broadcast into multiple episodes, like they do for the World Series of Poker Main Event? For poker, they pretty much have an episode for each of the 10 or so days of the tournament. What about 4 or 6 30-minute episodes of the entire top 12? I don't think anyone needs to see 6 corps in a row to decide "Hey, this is kind of cool." It just takes one show with something that they like to spark someone.

I thought it was top 8. 2005 SCV came in 8th place yet they showed Boston. I like it the way it is, makes it feel like Finals night again! I only wish they didn't show the scores the entire way, and actually showed the annoucing of the scores. I do wish they would show alittle more of 9-12 though, and maybe even so placements for all the corps, just to get their names out there.

It's totally fair. They have to have a plan and stick to it. All the corps know this is the set-up BEFORE the season even begins.

I agree with the poster that stated we should be thankful we're even on such a prestigious network, showing across the country on the same night. It's a wonderful way to introduce new people to the activity, to give them a glimpse of what drum corps is about.

Yes, it's just a glimpse, but we could have so much less and for that, I'm grateful.

I recall years of top 12 live on PBS, was that a dream?

anyway, no - it's not fair

I think its even less fair that its on cable as I only do free TV and I won't see any of it

but that's fine, life is filled with disappointment and is often life is unfair

Yeah it was a dream. They only showed live full shows of the top 6 (previously top 5) and brief clips of 6-12 (7-12). Then it stopped going live on PBS altogether.

There's nothing unfair about being on a network that has broader appeal, with a show that has dramatically higher production values. It is designed to be a promo to attract attention and it works very well at presenting the best parts of the competition/activity.

It's a great showcase, but of course, some people hate everything. :music:

Wait, I thought PBS had live coverage of all 12 corps PLUS retreat.