Expsoure on ESPN2

Yeah, no matter what I will be marching somewhere next year. If I make a D-I corps however, especially one that's lower tier, I will stay there until I age-out (unless flight costs or other financials are an issue), since I think that commitment is very important, and I think it's classy to stay with the corps you began with (again, unless financials don't permit) until you age-out. I'm not judging the people who do this/have done this, but it's just my personal opinion, and I could see why someone would change corps, but it's just not for me

EDIT: redability and clarity

When I read something like that, it warms my heart, and bolsters my faith in young people.

You're my new hero :)

Good luck with whatever auditions you attend this fall. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to whichever corps you end up with.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's funny that people complain about DCI on ESPN2 like they think it was made for them or something.

Well spotted. You've been paying attention. Personally, I'm in the "or something" camp. [/sarcasm]

Saying that you have a preference in how it's shown hardly equates to thinking it was "made for" you. (I think it's "funny" that, in the world of DCP, dissenting opinion can only be the result of narcissism.) It's okay to have an opinion about this-- I, for one, have never said that I don't appreciate the show, don't enjoy it, etc. Just that I had more fun watching it live. If you don't, that's cool too.

Do you have any idea whether any network might have an interest in actually buying this program?

I remember back to when the 1938 Racine Scouts couldn't get on the radio type device for a parade in Kenosha. They got back behind the horses and managed to get their shoes a but messy. What's this television thingamajob you are all chattering about anyway? And the only cable I ever heard about was the telegraph machine my daddy used to work on for the United Express Co. out of Burlington.

Now you toung whippersnappers move along. And get off my lawn.

what is it with you and Racine in 1938 :music:

Now, I know the footage and discussion which takes place on ESPN2 is not up to par for those who are actually IN the activity.

I want to bring up another point of discussion though. All top 12 are shown, but only the top ten are really "featured", if you can even call it featured. Meanwhile the 11th and 12th place corps are only give 45 second slots which show small clips of their show. That is...the 11th and 12th place corps from semifinals.

I was surprised to find out that the corps are going to be shown in performance order, rather than by placement. This means that the Colts are not going to be featured as the 10th place corps, even though they earned 10th place on finals night. Instead, it will be Glassmen, who managed to beat the Colts in semis, and therefore went on in the 10th place slot at finals.

Am I the only one who thinks it is unfair that it is set up this way? I mean if I could control it, then all corps would be broadcasted with their entire shows. While that might not be possible, I think at the very least the actual top ten should get the footage they deserve. Especially the Colts, who were the first new corps in finals since 2005 and havn't made it themselves since 2001. Forget the fact that it was difficult enough for them to break in with all the stiff competition this year, but their rise to 10th place was very admirable. I'm sure all those kids wish they were being broadcast in the 10th spot like they deserve.

I'm really not trying to bag on ESPN2 or DCI, because I think the exposure is great. Just wanted to see if there were others who shared this view.

If anything isn't fair, it's the amount of exposure the DIV 2/3 gets. Two broadcasts and not even a mention of the smaller divisions...

Edited by Uniformman518

I think it is nice that it is on ESPN2, but I wouldn't go overboard.

I think the Discovery channel would do a WAAAAAAY better job of promoting this activity than it being aired on ESPN, but I understand that it depends on the cable packages and ESPN is pretty much on every basic cable package.

Still, I would love to have DCI promoted by Mike Rowe. That dude is an awesome individual. What in DCI is a dirty job, that can be aired on his Dirty Jobs show. Or, maybe the Orange County Choppers can make a bike for DCI and auction it off, with proceeds going to DCI. :P :music:

My point is, just because it is on ESPN2, you can't stop it at that point. Keep going forward and finding new ways to expose the way. That is obvious.

Here's an idea, what if you could rent DVD's from NETFLix and/or Blockbuster through the mail of DCI shows? Hmmmmm

Edited by crfrey71

Everyone gets featured either way. I was in that "tier" last year, but DCI still filmed us for segments to do in the broadcast. I really don't care how much of who or what they show on the broadcast, I'll see (or maybe I'll actually buy it this year...) the DVD anyway, and anyone who cares enough will buy it too. I like the human interest stories more than the shows anyway. It was that stuff and seeing all the rehearsal clips and whatnot on the PBS broadcasts that made me want to march in the first place.