Mini Corps Reports?

If I remember correctly Jim, we didn't get credit for the two fantastic mallet players who played the entire show ... since the sheet was checked "not applicable" in the keyboards box. <**>

I'm looking at the sheets right now, and I see nothing in regards to a "Keyboard Box"

Edited by Gary Matczak

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as taking mini-corps to the field.: Now that might be a legitimate idea. Then those that want to do a drill , have a pit and guard, etc. can expand the genre and the scoring to include those areas. You're right, THAT would really be a Mini... Corps.

I'm just about the music, tho - the "twinkle-toes" days are over for me. :P

Guys, a number of excellent points have been raised in this discussion. The bottom line is that all of the competing Mini Corps from top to bottom are to be congratulated for the hard work and dedication required to get up on stage and play for the crowd and themselves. The level of musicianship and performance is increasing every year.

Regarding the use of drill for the Mini Corps competition, Strutta may correct me on this, but I believe that the official charter for Mass Brass states that a “rapid movement in any direction in excess of four paces (such as the distance to the nearest open cooler) constitutes drill and is expressly forbidden”. It is clear to me that rules such as this were written by very wise men and were intended to protect us from hurting ourselves. :grouphug:

In all seriousness, I applaud the use of visual enhancements to augment many of the Mini Corps shows and some corps clearly used them to greater advantage than others. We’ve been kicking around an idea of a human sacrifice for next year’s show, but it’s tough enough to get good horn players.

I for one would hate to see this niche segment of the drum corps activity known as Mini Corps morph into nothing more than scaled down in size field corps. There are existing opportunities for those that wish to produce a fully integrated show to compete using a full complement of Horns, Percussion, Guard, and Drill.

There are many of us in this particular activity that have been there and done that regarding drill in our younger (read more flexible) days, and are quite happy to leave that to other segments of the activity. There are many others that participate in both Mini Corps as well as Full Corps and once again, I congratulate them on the level of effort to do both.

I guess moving forward, I’d like to see more clearly defined judging criteria for the score sheets that reflect the effective use of visual enhancements, but I’d always want this particular activity’s principal focus to be on musicality and performance.

I consider myself fortunate just to be part of the show and would hate to see it change too dramatically.

Just one man’s opinion for what it’s worth…

Paul

Perhaps Friday night could be designated for I&E and "Large Brass Ensemble", and Saturday night could host mini corps at the stadium. Something needs to be considered as the "return of mini corps" movement is growing. B)

Cut 1.5 minutes from the showtimes and 2 more groups play in the time of 18.Move alumni to saturday morning and have a fielded mini corps sunday morning. Charge $10.00 for minicorps and $10.00 for fielded minicorps.Pays for judges and DCA makes more money.I also think it may cut down on the rude people in the audience who have to talk through the entire minicorps show <**> . If enough people pay for sunday morning to pay for itself, keep it.The fans win by getting 2 full days in the sun watching drumcorps.

OK.......we have some excellent input here...........let's not stop.........any and all input is good, positive or negative. That's how consensus is reached. I know all of you guys care and that's why it's important. Anyone for an extra day over Laborday weekend? How would that impact the meat & potato's of the competitive corps? Alumni corps? HOF induction banquet?

Thanks troops

JImbalaya

Cut 1.5 minutes from the showtimes and 2 more groups play in the time of 18.Move alumni to saturday morning and have a fielded mini corps sunday morning. Charge $10.00 for minicorps and $10.00 for fielded minicorps.Pays for judges and DCA makes more money.I also think it may cut down on the rude people in the audience who have to talk through the entire minicorps show <**> . If enough people pay for sunday morning to pay for itself, keep it.The fans win by getting 2 full days in the sun watching drumcorps.

I have been wracking my brain to think of ways to turn the mini corps show into a paid event that would still attract the HUGE crowd that has attended as of late,.................each prforming unit has expenses that include Music licensing, Registration fees, Arrangements, teaching staff, rehearsal facilities, and the like,...............I do realize that some of these may be gratis services provided by some of the members themselves, but at any rate, typical expenses for us Thunderbirds range in the $1500.00 to $2000.00 area per year......................but with all of that said, I just don't think it is a good idea at this time,...............but again, that could change in the future,................or something.

The show held in Harrisburg this past spring was a great test for this type of paid event,................$5.00 in advance, $8.00 at the door was charged, and several hundred folks were more than happy to be there!

IMO, DCA should/could create a membership level that is made up of mini corps to help stear and control the destiny of the genre,.............maybe not in complete control of the mini corps competition arena, but the group could come forth with voted on, solid and backed up suggestions to further the whole concept of mini corps,.................. Kinda like MCA!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gary Matczak

yeah but what about Cheese?

I have been wracking my brain to think of ways to turn the mini corps show into a paid event that would still attract the HUGE crowd that has attended as of late,.................each prforming unit has expenses that include Music licensing, Registration fees, Arrangements, teaching staff, rehearsal facilities, and the like,...............I do realize that some of these may be gratis services provided by some of the members themselves, but at any rate, typical expenses for us Thunderbirds range in the $1500.00 to $2000.00 area per year......................but with all of that said, I just don't think it is a good idea at this time,...............but again, that could change in the future,................or something.

The show held in Harrisburg this past spring was a great test for this type of paid event,................$5.00 in advance, $8.00 at the door was charged, and several hundred folks were more than happy to be there!

IMO, DCA should/could create a membership level that is made up of mini corps to help stear and control the destiny of the genre,.............maybe not in complete control of the mini corps competition arena, but the group could come forth with voted on, solid and backed up suggestions to further the whole concept of mini corps,.................. Kinda like MCA!!!!!!!!!

Half the money,minus expenses go to the performers, with a little more to the top 3.It will never cover the performing groups expenses, but its a start.If minicorps are associate members, and have their paperwork in order they could be included in shows during the summer, with no share point and no cost to sponsors?