Channel One Suite

Which Version Of The Blue Devil's Channel One Suite is Your Favorite?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Year/Score/Placement

• 1976/92.7/First
    • 1977/92.050/First
    • 1986/98.4/First
    • 2002/97.3/Second

When I hear certian songs, I associate them with a drum corps.

With SCV, it's If I Where a Rich Man (from Fiddler).

With The Cavaliers, it's Russian Sailors Dance.

With it's Phantom, it's Canon in D.

You get the picutre.

When I hear the piece Channel One Suite, two things usually come to mind:

-Buddy Rich

-The Concord Blue Devils

Though not the first corps to perform this piece (and up until 2002, the Oaklands performed it just as many times as BD), they've made it their own, winning three titles with it in their repertoir.

So, which verison of Channel One Suite (performed by the Blue Devils) is your favoirte and why?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'76 was it for me. I had never heard a corps play anything with such respect to the recorded version before. Right down to the drum solo and the recreation of the same riff's, beats and dynamic ranges Buddy played. It was also the first time I had heard anyone play a complete piece as an opener and a drum solo. It was an exciting sign of the things to come.

Drum corps turned a corner in 1976, and Blue Devils version of Channel One Suite that year was a major part of that turn.

Puh-lease! The '76 Devils were a mystical train ride to never-before-seen places!!

Puh-lease! The '76 Devils were a mystical train ride to never-before-seen places!!

amen. :music:

(BTW... the '76 Bridgemen were another "corner turning" corps that year, changing the activity forever as well. So while it's awesome to see you give credit to BD, take a pat on the back from me for YOUR innovative corps as well DCIHasBeen...)

Edited by GGarrett

amen. :music:

(BTW... the '76 Bridgemen were another "corner turning" corps that year, changing the activity forever as well. So while it's awesome to see you give credit to BD, take a pat on the back from me for YOUR innovative corps as well DCIHasBeen...)

:music: :) ... Thanks. We aimed to please ...

76 may be the best from an innovation standpoint, but for me, I enjoy 86 the most...the books are almost identical, but the improvement in instrumentation makes teh music sooooo much smother (oh yeah.whoever thought playing with your thumbs and having the 1st valve in FRONT should be shot....mucho props to 76/77 Bd for even surviving that chart on P/R horns!)

Edited by 84BDsop

76 may be the best from an innovation standpoint, but for me, I enjoy 86 the most...the books are almost identical, but the improvement in instrumentation makes teh music sooooo much smother (oh yeah.whoever thought playing with your thumbs and having the 1st valve in FRONT should be shot....mucho props to 76/77 Bd for even surviving that chart on P/R horns!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those old relics who thing valve-rotors were all the thing, as I consider them and 2-valve horns to be instruments that were made defective on purpose. At the same time, there are folks that could, and still can, make those things sing ... I honestly didn't like the '86 show as much, but '76 was magic. In fact, I just downloaded the video of it from DCI a couple of weeks ago.

Besides, they didn't have Bonnie Ott in '86, and I will accept no substitutions! :music:

buddy-rich-med.jpg

Bump, or I'll kick you out of my band!

The topic asks about the best Channel One, my favorite is 86, then 76. We get plenty Bonnie time in the rest of the 76 show and in the 73 Commodores' Rainy Days. Hers were some of the best solos ever.