What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?

What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. could they make finals?

• 1-6?
    • 6-9?
    • 9-12?
    • 12-15?
    • 15-24?

Just saw a copy of the TB released DCI Semi performance by the Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corp - all I can say is WOW/Phenomenal. The questions here might be better phrased - could the Bucs have beaten Kingsmen had they competed at DCA ? From a pure show standpoint - Kingsmen would have won hands down. Obviously, M&M needed some work, but talk about bringing the house down withe 280 marching members including a brass contingent of 141 - the sound and quality was remarkable. Best drum corp show of the year award has to go to Kingsmen.

omg THANK YOU!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT though. In DIRECT comparison. 2007 Bucs vs. 2007 DCI 30th thru 1st, id put the DCA champ at the lower end of the semi's range (16th or 17th)

If the kids could practice only on weekends and NOT go on tour. Bucs would win handily.

If Bucs (in a perfect world) could take the summer off, go on tour, and practice 12 hours a day/7 days a week the way the kids do ... the kids would still win but Bucs would definately make finals - 9th maybe? 8th?

(this barring injuries that us older folks are susceptible to.)

They would lose to Santa Clara no matter what happened. lol.

However, in regards to the hyppothetical question at hand -- IMO, the Buccaneers would have no chance of making DCI Finals. The reason for this is not the level of demand or excellence of the corps, which is very close to DCI level in many respects. Rather, I believe that any DCA corps that has an identity that is so close to an existing DCI finalist corps, would pale in comparison to the real thing in direct head-to-head competition. Although a few DCA corps simply take a junior corps show and call it their own and it works fine in DCA competition, this show design approach would not stand up in DCI.

Again, this is not a slam on anyone ... just a note on the hypothetical competitive DCA/DCI match-up.

I guess since it's all HYPOTHETICAL no one should take offense to the above, which basically says hypothetically

they're very close, Bucs in DCA and DCI corps, but in a real world comparison; DCI is superior and DCA sucks.

But it's not a slam, mind you, because it's all hypothetical.

I guess since it's all HYPOTHETICAL no one should take offense to the above, which basically says hypothetically

they're very close, Bucs in DCA and DCI corps, but in a real world comparison; DCI is superior and DCA sucks.

But it's not a slam, mind you, because it's all hypothetical.

It's OK just consider the source of the original comment - from one of the EVIL ones (LOL).

DCA and DCI are indeed on differing tracks. IMHO - DCA is an updated version of the real drum corps thru the 70's. It is about competing, but it is all about enjoyment for the particpants and those in the stands. Drum corps at one time were for anyone with a desire to march - DCA still carries that mantra. DCI has evolved the activity into a downsized, elite - for the relative few. Reality is that DCI is primarily composed of 'all star' groups from around the world - the majority of which are music or arts majors in Universities. Indeed their execution of complex drill and music design is phenomenal, but many of the shows simply play to the judges not the audience and leave you wanting at the end. It is all about growing within the musical experience. DCA corps put together some pretty phenomenal corps which tend to really please the judges as well as the paying public. The difference in execution being DCA does not do the 3 month death march which the DCI kids endure. DCI is akin to attending the ballet while DCA is about going to a rock concert or broadway play - opposite ends of the spectrum from a pure entertainment perspective for the masses in general.

If you saw the Kingsmen Alumni or perhaps Madison Alumni performances live or via digital media you saw audiences get off their butts and applaud these corps because they were entertained - period. The camera in the Rose Bowl panned the audience and you saw even DCI members going nuts over the performance. These are the types of shows the DCI folks don't get to see very often. If DCA moved to a DCI paradigm - that activity would die a rather quick death. DCA should continue to do their thing and let Atkinson do his music expereince elite thing with DCI.

How would the Bucs fare competing in a DCI show ? Who knows and do any of the Bucs really care - they won their prize for a job well done !

I guess then I could be more specific. Would the DCA winners compete with the:

Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, Phantom, SCV etc

Crown, Bluecoats, BlueKnights

Boston, Glassmen, Colts, Spirit

Academy, Blue Stars, Crossmen,

or below with the remainder of corps like Pacific Crest, SouthWind, Troopers, Mandirins, Pioneer etc.

Of course there are time constraints and talent availablity differences. I think DCA is great for what the products end up being by Labor Day weekend...3 weeks after DCI is over. It is just a poll to see what people think the differences in the 2 forms of the same acitivites actually are.

People are voting but not many are commenting.

Pacific Crest, SouthWind, Troopers, Mandirins, Pioneer etc.

Would a DCI corps only practicing once a week in the winter and only on weekends make DCI finals?

Probably, not.

Would a DCI corps practicing the same amount as a DCA corps make DCA finals? That, I think, would be a long shot.

Disagree on part II....the DCI corps members are just so strong as players and marchers that they'd do just fine in DCA.

DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

You hit it on the head!

The real question is would the Bucs sink so very low as to use Amps <**> !!!!???

You mean would they choose to use the legal tools that maximize their show? Of course they would, or at least I hope so.

In general, DCA shows have been more entertaining than DCI shows, IMHO. Talent wise, those writing and designing DCA shows could probably be equal to their counterpart at DCI. Performer wise, given the same amount of practice time, probably more so now then in the past. The avg age in DCA I bet, has probably come down a bit.

The biggest difference for me has always been the showmenship in DCA shows versus the DCI accuracy of the drill and execution of the technicals. There is more embeeded emotion to the DCA shows. I liked to hear what DCI followers would think on this subject.

IMO there is just as much emotion in a DCI show as in a DCA show. And...as much entertainment value as well. The skills of the designers are similar...a lot of the DCA folks also write for DCI.

You mean would they choose to use the legal tools that maximize their show? Of course they would, or at least I hope so.

i agree with you ~ if it is voted it i'll be surprised if they aren't used by many corps.

not saying i like the idea ~ but am accepting it as inevitable.