What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?

What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. could they make finals?

• 1-6?
    • 6-9?
    • 9-12?
    • 12-15?
    • 15-24?

Well, the DCI shows I saw were "flat" it was on TV. Only 2 dimensions. :P

I used the word vapid also, but I hope it was obvious I was joking.

After watching thousands, (or at least hundreds and hundreds), of shows for so many years, they all become predictable. You know what they're going to do and they don't disappoint - they do it.

This observation and "my opinion" doesn't "denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows." BTW, I think it is unfair of you to characterize and turn around my opinion and observations as something that would be a put down of someone's hard work and passion, just because your argument has lost some of it's steam.

'

That's how I read the attitude of your posts, based on the words you used. If you don't mean that, than I am sorry. It's just how I 'read' your meaning. Sometimes it's tough on a forum to get a 'feel' outside of the words.

They perform their butts off, just like we did when we marched. It's the show designs and music writing that seems flat to me. To me, they all follow the same formula and it gets old and "flat."

To me there is a lot less sameness than the set-piece show designs of my day.

Now, DCA is following the same tack, so when I say DCA has an advantage in experience it's not that their shows are better. It's that their experience, (musicians that have some life experience and lot's have professional playing experience), lets them breathe more life into the music they're given. I'm not saying the advantage is enough for any DCA corps to be better than a DCI corps - just more entertaining, to me, in my opinion, which you disagree with.

I watch and enjoy DCA and DCI. Happens that my faves have always tended, at least since the 70's, to be those corps that were more like junior than old time senior...going back to my 70's favorite Sunrisers.

What the kids do in DCI is insane and they do it well, very well in the top 5 or 6, but not perfect. However, I guess I'm the only one that sees that DCI shows actually contain flaws.

Every show contains flaws. I don't see anyone saying differentlyh.

The members of both DCA and DCI give their hearts and souls to their performance and I applaud them. I just wish the designers and writers would do something more entertaining and memorable. It doesn't have to involve marching the whole show at 180bpm while doing m&m gymnastics; it doesn't have to involve dressing the guard up in strange costumes and having them do some interpretive dance on steroids. Gosh, I could go on, but that is the crux of my point. To me, all that stuff is "FLAT" because, for me, it isn't as entertaining as I think it could be.

That opinion, in my opinion, doesn't "denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows."

It may insult the show programmers and writers and such, but it is just my opinion.

You of course are free to hold one...eve if wrong. :doh:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: Figured I'd peek in to see where this was going...... Not too far I see.

going back to my 70's favorite Sunrisers.

Mike, NOW I know why I like you!!!!!! :P

Fran

I voted 15 - 24. I don't think they would do as well as a lot of people think. The activities are very different. Especially recruitment and practice schedules.

I always wondered how well some of the DCI corps staffs in Div 1 would do if they had a corps with .......

18 guard

4 pit

4 snare, 5 bass, 3 tenor

14 sops, 7 mellos, 16 baritone, 5 contra

Unfortunately come in last in Div. 1...I just experienced a summer of those kinds of numbers. The kids were trying their best effort every time out. Numbers, lack of experience, and being the ONLY G horn line left in Div. 1 kept Pioneer in last place. Maybe some other years, they wouldnt have been a last place corps.

It was their best year in a while, but being outnumbered by that much in those big venues has its drawbacks.

Donny

Hey, Timmy's dad.......the corps did good. I think they seemed to come together at Allentown and I can only imagine how they finished their season.

As long as the kids felt the pride of succeeding with their show and didn't feel 'down' about it they have a good foundation from which to grow.

Joe

Unfortunately come in last in Div. 1...I just experienced a summer of those kinds of numbers. The kids were trying their best effort every time out. Numbers, lack of experience, and being the ONLY G horn line left in Div. 1 kept Pioneer in last place. Maybe some other years, they wouldnt have been a last place corps.

It was their best year in a while, but being outnumbered by that much in those big venues has its drawbacks.

Donny