If DC became something you didn't like anymore

To expound on that...

I think golf is boring.

I think it is stupid for people to go on a golf message board to complain about how boring golf is.

People on DCP act like opinions are some holy infallible thing that must constantly be shared.

There is a time and a place, I think a DCI forum is a stupid place to constantly ##### about how much you hate DCI and brag about how you haven't attended a show in 194 years.

Thank you for sharing your opinion....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could say the same :P

that was kinda my point.....

Once I feel like I'm not getting appropriate entertainment/enjoyment for my money, I am out the door. If there is a rule change that I do not like that is embraced by virtually all corps, I could be gone forever. I will watch DVDs of the good years and settle for the memories.

My interest in drum corps is based not so much on what it was or what it is, but what it could be. Call me an optimist, but I think drum corps has tremendous potential that has not yet been reached. I didn't think the 70's were great, but it showed potential, and I can say the same about every decade since. While I often don't agree with the approach, that potential remains. I don't go to a lot of shows anymore because they simply don't excite me much. I'm hoping someday that will change.

Billy Crystal once said: People don't go to a baseball game to see perfect pitching or a double play. They go to see the batter hit one out of the park. It's about the anticipation and hope that it will happen. If it does, the people go nuts, and if not they'll hope for the next time. All forms of performance are the very same. People want to see you hit it out of the park. Sometimes drum corps hit it out of the park and sometimes they don't. I'm still waiting for the 11 minute grand slam home run. It may never happen, but I can hope for it anyway and that's half the fun of it.

Bottom line: I like musicians in motion. And drum corps, with all it's flaws, is, and always has been, the best game around. There are lots of swings at the pitch that don't connect, but maybe, just maybe, someone will hit that grand slam someday.

Bottom line: I like musicians in motion. And drum corps, with all it's flaws, is, and always has been, the best game around. There are lots of swings at the pitch that don't connect, but maybe, just maybe, someone will hit that grand slam someday.

I really like this analogy. I think there have been a few of those over the years, but feel like these days I am left celebrating singles, maybe a double or two, or if really lucky somebody might eek out a triple. Not only are there no grand slams happening, I don't think there has even been a home run the past few years. Unfortunately, I see DCI giving strong consideration to aluminum bats (electronics), and that is going to be even less appealing. Sure, they work well enough (to some degree) in the college/highschool game, but it will be just another gimmick in the "major league" that cheapens the whole thing.

Edited by Tekneek

WARNING: Some of the opinions expressed here may actually differ from those who may hope, wish and even believe that the activity is not in a slow death spiral. Those who experience extreme sensitivity to varying opinions and/or to individuals who openly practise flagrant democracy should stop reading now and immediately don eye protection of a rose tint.

Problem is too many "good old days" people think because they've invested so much in drum corps, drum corps owes them to keep providing what they always valued most. And what they're secretly hoping is that DCI will either go backwards to give them what they want (not), or that DCI will die trying to become what George wants, so the "good old days" folks can dance on DCI's grave and say "I told you so". If you're not going to love it for what it is more than you resent the loss of what you liked best that's now gone, it's time to leave for awhile.

This is a valid point and one that helps me to better understand how some (but not all) Good Ole Daysers come across. I appreciate that you have made this observation and put it here for the rest of us.

I'm definately a 'Good Ole Dayser' but I feel like I have managed to get beyond whining about it. I still go to live shows and find something that I can enjoy in most of them. I still like being around the activity and the young people who dedicate such a large chunk of their lives to it. I still like the basic premise that living on a bus all summer builds character.

Interesting question. I think first, I would stop going to shows for about 10 years. Then, I would turn on espn one day to see what was going on. After being thoroughly p/oed, I would proceed to drum corps planet and make a thread about it. At no time would I attempt to support the things I still loved, and I definitely wouldnt want to go find another outlet for my drum corps passion. I also would ridicule the current state of things, because by doing so, I can surely bring back the version of dc that I used to enjoy....

Gee why do I have the feeling this is directed at me personally. :doh: (10 years away and "make a thread" are kinda dead giveaways)

If it is directed at me

1) I am not PO'ed I just wanted to get the opinions of others. (Discussing things is the reason for DCP ain't it).

2) Didn't watch ESPN telecast this year, I'm old, live on the East Coast and it started at my bedtime. (Getting up 5:30AM for work sucks).

3) What ridicule? If I don't like it, I say I don't like it without slamming those who do it or like it. :doh: If someone like something I don't that's cool in my book.

4) Where I was and what I did Fri/Sat/Sun Labor Day Weekend answers the supporting and passion parts of this thread (especially Friday night).

Oh yeah, why would someone follow DCI Div I posts if they are not a fan of the current shows?

Quite possibly they still care about the activity and the members involved..... And notice I only said I don't follow Div I.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Drum Corps Europe is gaining ground as well.... and I betcha less than a handful of folks here know what the WAMSB is.

Trying a guess without going to google.....

West African Marching Show Bands?????