If DC became something you didn't like anymore

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've suggested in another thread, take time off. Been there done that, and it was a huge help. Go do something else for a few years and then come back to it live in a stadium late in the season... with fresh ears and fresh eyes... and fall in love with it all over again... or confirm you really made the right decision after all in walking away and can get on with your life.

And no hanging out lurking and posting about it online, or watching the ESPN telecast. That's not taking time off. That's whining about "the good old days". If you're going to take time off, man up and get totally away from it. Don't be like the workaholic who never goes on vacation without working email hard.

Problem is too many "good old days" people think because they've invested so much in drum corps, drum corps owes them to keep providing what they always valued most. And what they're secretly hoping is that DCI will either go backwards to give them what they want (not), or that DCI will die trying to become what George wants, so the "good old days" folks can dance on DCI's grave and say "I told you so". If you're not going to love it for what it is more than you resent the loss of what you liked best that's now gone, it's time to leave for awhile.

Edited by Peel Paint

Translation: If you don't love everything about DCI - we don't want to hear from you.....

6) Don't follow anymore without hard feelings

7) Think "Stuff happens" and go on with rest of my life

Why participate in something I don't like?

yep it's definitely "legacy" season on old DCP.

"YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!"

Roar

:P

Eh... Just an idea that cropped up after reading some posts.....

Feel free to ask questions or explain....

CRAP!!!!!! This was supposed to be a poll......

Options are:

1) Wish Drum Corps would go away

2) Go to as many shows/support corps/members just like before

3) Not go to as many shows

4) Go to no shows but follow activity thru DCP/DCW/etc

5) Don't follow anymore with hard feelings

6) Don't follow anymore without hard feelings

7) Think "Stuff happens" and go on with rest of my life

Interesting question. I think first, I would stop going to shows for about 10 years. Then, I would turn on espn one day to see what was going on. After being thoroughly p/oed, I would proceed to drum corps planet and make a thread about it. At no time would I attempt to support the things I still loved, and I definitely wouldnt want to go find another outlet for my drum corps passion. I also would ridicule the current state of things, because by doing so, I can surely bring back the version of dc that I used to enjoy....

Barbershop quartets.

DCI isn't the only drum corps in town. I personally don't pay much attention to the division I activity anymore, though I don't mind engaging in a conversation about it. I'm beginning to lose interest in II/III as well, though in regards to support, I do more there than for division I mainly because that's where I came from, that's where I started. But as I said, there's more to drum corps than DCI. I've been spending that last 2-3 years in Japan's drum corps community and have taken quite a liking for it.

Drum Corps Europe is gaining ground as well.... and I betcha less than a handful of folks here know what the WAMSB is.