What does Phantom Regiment have to do to win?

I was mostly just joking...

but DCI and Regiment did not get along very well back in the 70s. There was at least one incident and then those t-shirts that someone and the staff had and generally, Regiment had a repetition of getting in the face of judges and howling. They were also not the darling of the crowd or other corps at that time either. They generally had a bad rep as being stuck up, anti-social, snobs. Some think that’s why they got second in 78

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI and Regiment did not get along very well back in the 70s.

When you say DCI, you mean Don Pescone, right? So, because the corps didn't get along with the executive director, he saw to it that they didn't win? Is that what you're alluding to? Who's problem was it really then? The Dons (as he was known) or the corps? Even so, would that make it right for him to, allegedly, black ball the corps?

There was at least one incident and then those t-shirts that someone and the staff

Once incident hardly gives someone a rep. Those "shirts" came in 1980 AFTER 3 consecutive second place finishes and only served to prove what was actually said on the shirts.

Regiment had a repetition of getting in the face of judges and howling.

Umm, that was pretty much S.O.P. back then and EVERYONE did it. Not saying it was justified in any case, but why single out PR?

They were also not the darling of the crowd or other corps at that time either.

As to the crowd comment, we'll just have to agree to disagree. As far as other corps, again, back then (good or bad) the activity as a whole was more adversarial. Heck, even D2 corps were "at" each other. They weren't any worse than any other corps and better than quite a few!

They generally had a bad rep as being stuck up, anti-social, snobs. Some think that’s why they got second in 78

I just don't know how to respond to the first part of that statement other than to say, I believe it to be inaccurate.

Second in '78 can be laid at the feet of one overly bias judge (GE M&M) who NEVER in any year she was judging that particular caption gave the Regiment a better score than any of the CA corps. In fact the score dropped from 9.8 (3rd .1 behind SCV in prelims with a bad show) to 9.6 (6th in finals, .4 behind SCV, BD, Mad, Bmen, 27 with a considerably better visual performance). Only 1 of the top 9 had their GE M&M score fall from prelims. Can ya guess who?

RM - I guess my rant is over :doh:

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

One thing that I noticed, and this may be very telling, is that Phantom Regiment 2007's music is very much melody, melody, and more melody. No wonder it is so catchy. Mind you, I am doing this without visual, i.e., just listening to the musc. I do not know what Phantom needs to change, to win a championship, but for God's sakes, do not change your musical approach. I love it, because I enjoy listening to your music over and over again. There is so much variety, and yet, it is so easy on the ears. You don't have to strain to appreciate and try fevershly to find the melody. I wonder if the corps' arrangers are thinking about writing music that, long after finals are over, can be appreciated and stand on its own from a purely audio perspective (i.e., without reference to any visuals). Thank you, Phantom!

Edited by Faust

I mentioned this to JD when I saw him...I personally see this 07 show as a real triumph for his writing for the corps, and I am becoming more certain (daily, seemingly) that it's his best arrangement so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with for next season...

Well, let go back too some of the success of 2003 !!

Play more Miklos Rozsa ! Lo/listen at the possibilites for a show like this! You'd have selections from "Ben Hur", "El Cid", "Quo Vadis" and so many others that would be killers with JD Shaws arrangements and Jamey Thompson' effects...

Are you listening (Reading Phantom Staff?!)