The Lost Art of stick work

One thing I have noticed as that I do not see the emphasis on stick work like I did when there were drum breaks, especially in the 80's. There is a lot more emphasis on body movement during the drum break during today's DC performances. Has anyone else noticed that?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have noticed as that I do not see the emphasis on stick work like I did when there were drum breaks, especially in the 80's. There is a lot more emphasis on body movement during the drum break during today's DC performances. Has anyone else noticed that?

Not as much back sticking in the snare lines, but maybe that's just me.

To me, I hate the copying that goes on. One year, SCV tilted their drums. It was cool. Now, to me, it looks like many are copying SCV.

Also, it seems many lines warm up with the tenors mixed in with the snares. I understand having the bass line behind the snares for ensemble reasons, but what's up with mixing tenors and snares?

It may be people are playing faster passages, which leads to less time for back-sticking. Some regard it (I think) as a kind of novelty. Madison did it pretty cool in '92 by integrating it into a flam pattern, instead of just doing straight back-sticking. Cadets also did it in 2000.

as far as everyone copying scv's tilted snares...im doubting thats the reasoning behind it. looking cool? maybe...does it just make sense? absolutely

as far as the stick work thing goes...i, too, think of it as kind of a novelty...cool on occasion, but id hardly call it an art.

The SCV tilt thing I always assumed was brought on by Jim Casella, considering, that happened at SCV when he came in, correct me if I am wrong.

After he left the Cavies started using it....but that's where Casella is.

As far as the "stick work" yeah, I think more groups today are concerned with hitting the drum with both sticks and kicking their feet rather than doing something impressive with their sticks/playing.

I mean, sure, the crowd goes nuts when a line has their feet apart, squit like their dropping a deuce and play some big unison hits, but I guess that's what impresses us these days, the shock and awe of it all.

The SCV tilt thing I always assumed was brought on by Jim Casella, considering, that happened at SCV when he came in, correct me if I am wrong.

After he left the Cavies started using it....but that's where Casella is.

Totally agree with that part, but others like Blue Knights, etc. are doing it, right?

I used to be more on top of things, but I haven't (except for this year) been to a DCI finals since '95.

Snares used to be tilted when they were carried over the shoulder in a sling -- it's natural as someone else pointed out. Most lines use a traditional grip (which descends from the tilted snare), so it makes sense to tilt the snare. Under the right instruction and taking physics into mind, you can get some great results from a tilted snare vice a horizontal.

And it's not really copying SCV, as there were no harnesses in the early '70s .. everyone used straps.

the above guys are correct with the reasoning behind snare tilt, technically its just more ergonomically correct.

To me, I hate the copying that goes on. One year, SCV tilted their drums. It was cool. Now, to me, it looks like many are copying SCV.

Also, it seems many lines warm up with the tenors mixed in with the snares. I understand having the bass line behind the snares for ensemble reasons, but what's up with mixing tenors and snares?

It may be people are playing faster passages, which leads to less time for back-sticking. Some regard it (I think) as a kind of novelty. Madison did it pretty cool in '92 by integrating it into a flam pattern, instead of just doing straight back-sticking. Cadets also did it in 2000.

the integrated arc(scv), the power V(cavs) and the inward facing block(beddis lines?)are just ways to integrate the line so that the players dont have to deal with the timing problems a traditional arc causes. drumlines are getting better, and in an arc, the outside two tenors and bottom few basses are left out in the wind, and have to deal with pushing their notes forward in order to line up correctly. this can cause variations on how the staff hears the way the notes line up.

in the case of the integrated arc the snares and tenors are forced to be able to time their part directly with the parts of the other section creating better timing between players and better blend of the parts. the basses are directly behind them so they can also key directly from a met behind them and another 2 feet forward to the frontline, rather than 8-12 yards sidways. for the v and the block its pretty much the same effect only the sections arent broken up so that section parts can be cleaned within the section.

typically using these formations is just for warming up or music ensemble rehearsal, the reasoning being that when you need to warm up, or just work music, you have the line in a formation that produces the easiest listening environment for the players and a oportunity to create a very good blend of parts for the techs/arrangers to get a read on.

and backsticking has gone to the wayside because since lines are playing with better quality of sound and musicianship, its easier to hear the change in sounds that backsticking/stickwork creates. and that ofcourse is bad. plus backsticking is more of a cool showy trick rather than a technical skill.