Worst field ever!

For me, no contest. Montreal, QUE 1995, Invitation Quebec. It was a true baseball field with full raised pitcher's mound (including the pitcher's "base"!) still intact on Side 2 around the 40/35. The "front" of the field was a good 33-40 degree angle (no exaggeration) from the audience and we couldn't even hear the announcer on the back of the field when they asked "Drum Major, is your corps ready?" VERY disconcerting. Plus, the only string of field lights were in line with the audience and very low. Performing under the lights is so much fun but when they're coming at you from an angle and not much higher than you the weird shadows cause complete bedlam and as far as seeing the guard equipment and especially the yard lines and hashes it was almost impossible. I remember one of our lead guard staff, Jim, just laughing at us when we came off of the field. It was a nice big pity laugh. He told us not to worry about it. That show wasn't pretty!

I wonder if anyone from SCV, VK, Magic, or Boston Crusaders remembers that show.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice try Sam, You just don't quite do this horrible field full justice!

Well there IS the profanity filter to consider!!

In 02 we did a standstill, so we were close to the front..in 03 I was DM so I wasn't in a position to see how bad the field TRULY was...

We were super fortunate this year as far as fields go (90% turf fields I'd say)...

But, in Tupelo, the field was less than desireable... It was like marching on a gigantic sponge that was trying to eat all the corps members it could so that it could grow and grow, to take over the entire world eating one person after another.

It made direction changes kinda tough.

yeah i was going to mention tupelo....i thought it was fine in 06, but it was like marching on a marshmallow this year. really confusing and exhausting.

port huron was awful too, even aside from the field.....we went on like....second, i think, way before intermission, and it must have already been in the 50s out at that point.

I remember Westminster (MD) being terrible in 06, but this year it seemed ok. Maybe I just remembered it being way worse than it actually was.

But yea... vast majority of the fields this summer were turf. Grass at Westminster, Bristol... and that's about it. Denver, but that's nicer than any turf (you can't beat a perfect grass field)

Battle Creek was pretty bad in 06. To be honest, so many shows are turf, and rehearsal fields tend to be a lot worse than any show sites, I never even noticed.

Yeah, some of our rehearsal fields were far worse than any show fields this year... I love the occasional 2/3rds of a fields, or the fields with houses right in the middle of them.

Yeah, some of our rehearsal fields were far worse than any show fields this year... I love the occasional 2/3rds of a fields, or the fields with houses right in the middle of them.

Or try the crap DCI had us housed in for Finals week. Huge deep mud pits all over the field. I definitely almost got stuck in one. The Rose Bowl was nothing compared to that and others, I don't know why so many people complain I thought that was a great stadium.

Or try the crap DCI had us housed in for Finals week. Huge deep mud pits all over the field. I definitely almost got stuck in one. The Rose Bowl was nothing compared to that and others, I don't know why so many people complain I thought that was a great stadium.

Luckily we had a turf field for finals week *cough*...

But our second field for paint projects was terrible. We spent two visual blocks on it the first day, and I guess the sprinkler system was jacked up somehow... Anyway, my sock tan lines were 5 times more pronounced than before until I showered that night.