Defending Champions

Does anyone happen to know when the last year was where the defending DCI Champion from the previous year was permitted to perform last at Finals. The last time I remember this happening was in 1987. Has it happened at all since then.

Does anyone happen to know when the last year was where the defending DCI Champion from the previous year was permitted to perform last at Finals. The last time I remember this happening was in 1987. Has it happened at all since then.

I think now the defending champion has the option to go on last at quarters... (but of course, I may be wrong)

Don't know when that changed though.

That may have been the last year. In 88 they had the random draw for order--which I rather like, btw. The following year it was just a matter of the semi scores.

they stopped doing the going on last thing when they started the top 5 live broadcast because they wanted to make sure the top 5 corps were in the broadcast and if the defending champion was sitting in 6th or lower then that would not be the case. It was in the late 80's and 1988 sounds about right.

they stopped doing the going on last thing when they started the top 5 live broadcast because they wanted to make sure the top 5 corps were in the broadcast and if the defending champion was sitting in 6th or lower then that would not be the case. It was in the late 80's and 1988 sounds about right.

The option to go on last went through 1987. Blue Devils went on last that year even though they were 4th coming into Finals. 1988 was the random draw, although Garfield went on last that year (coincidence). 1989 was the first year the defending champion did not go have the option to on last as Madison was 7th in Semis.

I'm all for the defending champion going on last at quarterfinals........sort of rewarding them one last time!! :)

Edited by LaSqueegee

It happened in 1988.

Garfield performed last. They won in 1987. I don't know if that's considered "permitted" or not.