I would like to see Division II/III Champs at Divison 1 Finals

Walter

Although I have only been back in drum corps for the last 4 years after a 26 year leave of absence, I would like to see the Division II/III World Champions play in exhibition at the Division 1 Finals !!!!

Not only do I think they have earned the right to perform in front of 30,000-40,000 people, I think that would also help Division II/III regain some of the old fans they had back in the day.

DCI should put more of an emphasis on every division champion.

With what some of these Division II/III corps are doing these days, I feel that the average Division 1 fan would be impressed and maybe go to a few more Division II/III shows.

Just a thought.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I believe that this may be rather difficult when championships are moved to Indiana. While Div I championships will be in Indianapolis, Div II/III finals will be two hours away in Michigan City.

I believe that the Div II/III winners from this past season were scheduled to exhibition at the Rose Bowl, but there were some scheduling conflicts which led to it being called off a few hours before.

Sadly, I believe that this may be rather difficult when championships are moved to Indiana. While Div I championships will be in Indianapolis, Div II/III finals will be two hours away in Michigan City.

I believe that the Div II/III winners from this past season were scheduled to exhibition at the Rose Bowl, but there were some scheduling conflicts which led to it being called off a few hours before.

The Div. II/III corps will only be in Michigan City for Tuesdays prelims. All the corps will move on to Indy for the semis & finals at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Although I don't get to DCI very often, I've always wondered why they stopped having them involved in Div I Finals. I think it would be a good idea that 'the powers that be' reinstate it.

I really want to see it done the way they used to up through 2002. You had Pre-lims which was everyone, Semis which was top 12(?) of each division, and Finals, which was top 3 of each division, plus next 6 highest scores. Then the Top 3 overall moved onto Div. I Quarters. DCI started to not like the format in 2000 when SCVC broke into Div. I Semi's. Then in 2001 all (5) Div. II finalists moved onto Div I Quarters, with 2 placing in semi's. The last straw(so to speak) was in 2002 when Magic won Div. 2 with a 99.05, and vaulted into Div. I finals placing 11th. This level of competitiveness, and promotion from within should be what DCI pushes.

...Top 3 overall moved onto Div. I Quarters. ....

Drew, it was always top 5 that went on to Quarters.

Drew, it was always top 5 that went on to Quarters.

Yeah, I'd love nothing more than the opportunity to compete with the div I corps. It would be interesting to see how things stack up on div I sheets. I'm sure there are all kinds of logistical considerations that would prevent it, however.

Edited by jbentley0025

Although I have only been back in drum corps for the last 4 years after a 26 year leave of absence, I would like to see the Division II/III World Champions play in exhibition at the Division 1 Finals !!!!

Not only do I think they have earned the right to perform in front of 30,000-40,000 people, I think that would also help Division II/III regain some of the old fans they had back in the day.

DCI should put more of an emphasis on every division champion.

With what some of these Division II/III corps are doing these days, I feel that the average Division 1 fan would be impressed and maybe go to a few more Division II/III shows.

Just a thought.

I am in agreement with you 100% on this one. Having the D2 and 3 Champions put on an exhibition at finals would be another way of rewarding them for their efforts and accomplishments. Also, as you stated, it just may open up some eyes as to the ability and entertainment value of these units. How about it DCI?

It's true that we were scheduled to go on in exhibition. They called it off after div II/III finals ended though. We never got a reason (the corps members . . . perhaps the directors did). It definitely killed the buzz of winning a championship a little though.