What would you like to see in '08?

The instrumentation has never been the sole definition of a drum and bugle corps. It was the tie to the military and later the rules set up by the VFW/AL for competition.

Way back "drum corps" had what was available to them. Sometimes bugles, sometimes fifes and sometimes both eeeek!

However, I think we all mean some semblance of the activity as it existed pre the major DCI rule changes and that varies a little with each person, but it never includes woodwinds, or amplifiers.

Don't I see the word 'fife' here???

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't I see the word 'fife' here???

I know!!!!!!!!

What an incredible idea!!!!!!!!

A corps, a whole corps of nothing but fifes and drums!!!!!!!!!

What a concept!!!!!!!!!!!

Then what if, just if, now, they allowed, say, brass into the corps? Wouldn't that be much better? Huh?

I mean, I know the fife and drum corps seems like it may have traditional roots in the Revolutionary war period and that maybe they'd like to keep it exclusive and different....close to what it was.

But, hey! Just think how much more entertaining they would be with brass and more percussion!!!!!

And think how many more people would be marching if that were the case.

Oh no, that just seems ridiculous, doesn't it?

After all, then it wouldn't be a fife and drum corps anymore, would it?

Edited by Martybucs

the only talking I wanna hear is the crowd between corps saying "OMG..they were FANTASTIC!!!"

What I really, really wanna see is a one of the "big" boys doing a traditional (c. mid 1980's) show, and see them win, and I want to see one of the "big" boys doing a show (ok, another show) with bunches of narration, schlock, etc, and see them score HORRIBLY...(not very nice to the kids, I know, but it might forever put away the menace that narration is)

I wanna hear memorable music, instead of bits and pieces of stuff you can almost recognize, but when broken up, and accented with numerous stingers, all recognition fades away.

I wanna see SCV redo '85, with up to date marching, and I want to see someone do '87 Sky, with up to date marching....with both retaining the essence of the music as it was played in the 80's

edit...oh yeah...gimme back full retreat, with corps playing songs as they leave the field...only on saturday shows is fine

I wanna see Phantom's buses break down in front of my house, and they decide to perform a standstill concert at my front door...

Edited by skewerz

OK, back on track:

- A financial audit is performed by a third-party auditor on every corps at least twice a year, just as is required of all publicly traded companies. The data is to be given to DCI for evaluation of the financial fitness of all DCI competing corps.

- No educational staff member (instructor) can work with any more than two corps per season. Enough with staff that work with/write for four corps, telling each, "You're getting my best stuff".

- Every corps must be given the same conditions for parking, warm-up, etc. for each show. No more situations where the top 5 corps gets housed at the show site every time, with the stadium 100' from their warm-up site, while the rest of the dregs have to park in the next town and walk 3 miles to the stadium.

- Bring back final retreat for at least every Saturday show. One later night per week is not going to creat a dangerous situation or a competitive disadvantage for any corps.

- DCI must monitor the scoring of corps by every judge to assure that there are not any specific judges that have a personal gripe or favoritism for any particular corps. Any consistent, drastic changes, plus or minus, by a single judge from the majority of scores and spreads against a particular corps must be investigated (i.e., no more Czapinski-gate situations that hurt the members).

- Div. II/III corps must be allowed to compete in at least (5) Div. I shows per season, if they so desire, and receive at least 75% of the Div. I base appearance fee per show. If these corps are forced to continue to operate on virtually no show income, the entire II/III activity will be gone in a matter of a few years.

No woodwinds.

No electronics.

Repeal the 150 member rule.

So if it was up to you what would you realistically change to the rules?

Let's not turn this into the countless other narration or amp threads, just some ideas that you think would enhance the performances.

I would change the age out to 22, allow most college kids to finish their corps career with their school at the same time.

If the marching membership (150) in Div.I is passed, I'd like to see 3 or 4 of those members on the field as an

AMERICAN FLAG SQUAD ! ( A flag,org. flag and two like weapons as guards.)

After 35 years it still sticks in my craw, that one of the first things eliminated by DCI was RESPECT for our NATIONAL EMBLEM!!!!!!

If the marching membership (150) in Div.I is passed, I'd like to see 3 or 4 of those members on the field as an

AMERICAN FLAG SQUAD ! ( A flag,org. flag and two like weapons as guards.)

After 35 years it still sticks in my craw, that one of the first things eliminated by DCI was RESPECT for our NATIONAL EMBLEM!!!!!!

AMEN Brother (or Sister) ! Even if they just stood in the corner of the field like days gone by. It's all about the color-pre !

If the marching membership (150) in Div.I is passed

It already is passed, right?