What would you like to see in '08?

Would still like to see them in their own caption. That way when there's a bad mix or obvious overpowering it can be held just as accountable as any other caption on the final outcome.

Edited by iamnivtop

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be judged already, as those things are already included in music judging captions in general.

They are? :whistle::blink::blink:

It's sure hard to see that, given that there is no tangible effect on scores when there are issues.

Would you even need to amplify voices? If you had most of the corps singing it would just carry. Unless you wanted singing while the entire corps was playing...

Not just the chorus, the solos! Can't you imagine amplified operatic voices belting out the solo parts in German? Talk about baritone solo...

Not just the chorus, the solos! Can't you imagine amplified operatic voices belting out the solo parts in German? Talk about baritone solo...

Gotcha...that would prolly be sweet as hell.

I remember when Eastlake High School here in Florida did an opera-based show a few years back...they had four or so amplified vocalists on the sideline wearing white, hooded robes (think the Black Riders from Lord of the Rings but with white) and they sang the entire performance...it was phenomenal. I don't know how they made it sound as good as they did, but if more drum corps could pull that off I'd want amplified voice in (almost) every show.

That would be great, but I'd prefer Ligeti's "Le Grand Macabre"

Along with Symphonic Poem for 100 Metronomes

I'm sorry, I didn't recognize those so you can't use that as show material. I'm only ok with shows being arranged from music that I know. But the first one seems to have themes of rampant lesbianism so I might be ok with that anyway.

So if it was up to you what would you realistically change to the rules?

Let's not turn this into the countless other narration or amp threads, just some ideas that you think would enhance the performances.

I would change the age out to 22, allow most college kids to finish their corps career with their school at the same time.

What I would like to see in 2008 is......

The board of directors and staff present three solid reasons why Bb is better than G horns

The board of directors and staff present three solid reasons why amp'ed equipment is better than non-amped

The board of directors and staff present three positive advanatages to amped vocals

More points for the technical, less for GE and design

A DC fan, corps staff and board of directors conference to discuss the status of the activity (During DCI week)

A motion to make all amplification illegal (Narration, pit....)

A motion to lock in that only brass and percussion instrumentation are allowed

A move away from a majority of the corps approaching shows with a symphonic style (Rock, Pop, Jazz, blues, Gosphel, country, asian, spanish.....so many to choose from folks)

Seeing the Madison Scouts win with a show titled "Madison; Were Back and Were Loud" with an INTENSE jazzy show.....

I am not against change......I just don't see to many great results with some of the more recent changes to DCI.......