What would you like to see in '08?

To add to the woodwind discussion...personally, I love them in the concert band setting, but not so much on the field. However, I wouldn't mind hearing a wicked saxophone solo in a jazz piece, or something like that (maybe someone in the pit could pick up a sax and just play it on the front sideline). But still, if it comes down to it, I would not be for woodwinds in drum corps.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there is no reason to keep them separate. So lets' not. It's not 1960 anymore. Adding WW to a World Class drum corps will not make them look like a HS marching band, any more than taking the WW away from a HS marching band will all of a suddent make them look like a World Class drum corps.

Though I don't like the idea of woodwinds, reading this triggered a thought or two in my head...

Seems to me that people think woodwinds would make drum corps worse, because it would make it more like marching band... But no one considers that saxophones and such in a drum corps would become BETTER implemented in a drum corps setting than in a "Waktaw County High School Marching Ligers" band...

My favorite segment of both Shockwave and Blast 2 is Blue Rondo a la Turk... And now that I think of it, what they did with that piece would not be possible at all using brass instruments.

Ok, that's all :)

Adding WW to a World Class drum corps will not make them look like a HS marching band

Well, unless those WW instruments look like trumpets and baritones, and the players can march with the same posture as the rest of the corps, then YES, it WILL LOOK like a high school band, regardless of the quality of performance.

Well, unless those WW instruments look like trumpets and baritones, and the players can march with the same posture as the rest of the corps, then YES, it WILL LOOK like a high school band, regardless of the quality of performance.

They will perform and look like what they are...the best of the best. There are few marching band brass at the HS level that carry themselves and look like World Class brass players. The saem would apply to WW.

They will perform and look like what they are...the best of the best. There are few marching band brass at the HS level that carry themselves and look like World Class brass players. The saem would apply to WW.

Okay, you seemed to miss the part where I said "regardless of the quality of performance."

Are you proposing flutes that do not look like flutes, and saxes that do not look like saxes?

Okay, you seemed to miss the part where I said "regardless of the quality of performance."

Are you proposing flutes that do not look like flutes, and saxes that do not look like saxes?

No. Just that I do not buy your connotation that they would look like a "HS Band" in general, unless you consider that your average HS brass looks like drum corps brass and HS percussion looks like HS percussion. In that case, sure.

No, they are not.

OK,

1. I said they were valid reasons, not necessarily that those reasons alone were enough to keep woodwinds out of DCI. Sorry if that's what you thought I meant.
  2. You haven't provided any specific counters to those reasons at all, leading me to believe that you cannot actually come up with logical refutations, instead refusing to acknowledge those reasons at all. If you do have a rebuttal, please, state it.

Geez, I can't believe I'm even posting this, everybody on DCP and their mother knows you're the most stubborn guy on here. I can admire that, in a way.

No. Just that I do not buy your connotation that they would look like a "HS Band" in general, unless you consider that your average HS brass looks like drum corps brass and HS percussion looks like HS percussion. In that case, sure.

He's referring to the fact that, standing at attention in a block, a drum corps with woodwinds and a marching band would look essentially the same. Once they start moving and playing, of course the drum corps will be superior in pretty much all respects (unless it's a kick ### marching band.)